pre-purchase questions

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangrass

I'm seriously thinking about taking the plunge, but had a few questions that perhaps those of you who already bought/own one of these things can answer.

1. Is the 120V inverter built into the car or is it part of the 120V power cord?

2. Where is the inverter for the 240 system? Assume it's part of the charging station, but how does it bypass the 120V inverter if that inverter is built into the car?

3. Is it necessary to buy the 2LT model to access DC charging? I understand that this isn't quite available yet. Could anyone explain how this will work and what's required to use it?

4. I understand the $7,500 federal tax credit, but am not so clear on the California subsidy. Is it a $2,500 California tax credit or something different? I've read something about getting a check from the CARB? Could someone please explain the California piece?

thanks in advance for your help,

Dan

dangrass said:
1. Is the 120V inverter built into the car or is it part of the 120V power cord?

2. Where is the inverter for the 240 system? Assume it's part of the charging station, but how does it bypass the 120V inverter if that inverter is built into the car?

3. Is it necessary to buy the 2LT model to access DC charging? I understand that this isn't quite available yet. Could anyone explain how this will work and what's required to use it?

4. I understand the $7,500 federal tax credit, but am not so clear on the California subsidy. Is it a $2,500 California tax credit or something different? I've read something about getting a check from the CARB? Could someone please explain the California piece?

The car has a built in Charger that will take AC from 110-240V, you just plug in any J1772 plug into the port by the driver's door.

The DC charging capable models will be here in Dec, and it has been said that you can get that option on either a 1LT or 2LT model, but it's all just hearsay until it goes live in the online configuration tool. The DC plug works much like the the regular AC plug except; you need to flip down the orange dust protector on the port by the driver's door, after you plug in, you must start the charge (it's is not automatic, this also locks the plug into the car) and when you are done you must end the charge (from the charger, center console screen or the key fob).

The California CVRP is sent to you as a check about 60-days after you are approved.

Thanks for the info. I'm a little confused about what the 240V charging station is then. If it's not an inverter, is it little more than a cord and plug?

On the DC question, are you saying that if I buy a car before December it won't be capable of DC charging?

The California CVRP sounds great. Is there a California tax credit as well, or is the CVRP it?

thanks,

Dan

dangrass said:
I'm a little confused about what the 240V charging station is then. If it's not an inverter, is it little more than a cord and plug?

On the DC question, are you saying that if I buy a car before December it won't be capable of DC charging?

The California CVRP sounds great. Is there a California tax credit as well, or is the CVRP it?

An inverter goes from DC to AC, we're going from AC to DC in the car. The charging station (EVSE) just supplies power and communicates to the car how much it can give...(handshake, hi I'm 208V and 16A). The car itself has a built-in charger to do the conversion from AC to DC.

The DC option does not exist yet, any car out now does not have it and it cannot be added later. In Dec you can get DC charging as an option, but not all cars will have it by default.

The CVRP is it from the state, no other tax credits. BUT your local government, ARB or utility may have extra programs for the car or getting an EVSE installed.

dangrass said:
Thanks for the info. I'm a little confused about what the 240V charging station is then. If it's not an inverter, is it little more than a cord and plug?

The charging station (EVSE) is pretty much a cord, plug, circuit board and relays. The J1772 standard requires a bi-directional communication and confirmation of the capabilities of the car before it delivers any current. It also has to be safe for use in rain and other inclement weather conditions. You can build one yourself using the blueprints and circuitry from the OpenEVSE project, but you'll find it quickly gets pretty close to the cost of a commercial unit once you include the relays, connection, quality cable, etc.

If you buy a car without special ordering the DC charging hardware, you probably won't be able to DC charge. While some dealers may keep DC-Charge capable models in-stock, I expect they'll be pretty few and far between in the first months of availability in 2014.

The California CVRP is better than a tax credit, as it's a flat rebate, and is available for leasers of 36 months or more as well as purchasers. There are no other California State incentives.

fengshui said:
dangrass said:

The charging station (EVSE) is pretty much a cord, plug, circuit board and relays. The J1772 standard requires a bi-directional communication and confirmation of the capabilities of the car before it delivers any current. It also has to be safe for use in rain and other inclement weather conditions. You can build one yourself using the blueprints and circuitry from the OpenEVSE project, but you'll find it quickly gets pretty close to the cost of a commercial unit once you include the relays, connection, quality cable, etc.

If you buy a car without special ordering the DC charging hardware, you probably won't be able to DC charge. While some dealers may keep DC-Charge capable models in-stock, I expect they'll be pretty few and far between in the first months of availability in 2014.

The California CVRP is better than a tax credit, as it's a flat rebate, and is available for leasers of 36 months or more as well as purchasers. There are no other California State incentives.

I considered waiting for a Spark EV with DC charging capabilities until I read that the charging stations are few and between and will be coming online slowly. I also understand that they will be a not-so-cheap option and/or will boost the cost of the Spark by as much as $500. Since I didn't plan on using the car for any trips away from home that would deplete the battery, I decided that a 240v charging station in my garage would more than suit my needs, so I went ahead and bought the car while taking advantage of the $500 discount for the 240v Bosch charging station that cost me a few bucks over $100 with tax and shipping.

As for the $2500 California rebate (which I am still waiting for), I believe I read in the application or the letter that said my application had been approved that if I sold the car within three years, I would have to return a portion of the money on a pro rata basis. I didn't bother to find out what the formula is because I fully intend to keep the car for at least 36 months. I would assume the same thing may apply to those who lease the car for 36 months and turn it in early.

Back