Chevy Spark EV Forum

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Instrument cluster going crazy? 12V replacement wins again!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:13 pm 

I have a 2014 that is about 5 years old now (since manufacture in 2013) and I finally had my first issue.

On Halloween (OOOoooOOoo!), I get in the car after a couple trips earlier in the day when I realize I am getting the message that roads may be icy. Low and behold, the external temperature reading is a lovely -31°C. However I am in a t-shirt, so I realize either my car is broken, or I am! Wait a minute, my GOM shows not a single green tic tac of charge left with "--" as the number, and everything is reading in metric now! I enjoy my science as much as the next guy/gal so I figure I can give it a go, but I realize I will probably need my range estimation back. Further, I'm apparently in need of washer fluid. What a conundrum.

"What could be causing this?" I ponder.

"Eureka!" I exclaim as I recall the many threads about 12V batteries being the root of all evil. So I grab my voltmeter to check the voltage when off: 12.90 volts. Hmm, that seems normal and I don't have a battery tester, but it's probably time to change it anyway.

I call the dealer (City Chevrolet in Charlotte) to ask about the LN1AGM battery (again found on this forum). They don't even have it and can't get it! Instead, they recommend a standard lead acid battery instead of AGM that won't even fit! So I called AC Delco and they gave me a distributor in Charlotte I could get it from and the guy only charges $150 for it, which is the best price I've seen for it (for TheLondonBroiler: it's Battery Service on 24th St).

I swap the battery in the parking lot, and all my issues disappear. My wife and kids even love me again!

Anyway, just a quick story with the same resolution: Having some quirky problems that seem like your car is dying? Don't worry, it's just the 12 volt!

Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster going crazy? 12V replacement wins aga
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:53 pm 

Loaf wrote:
I have a 2014 that is about 5 years old now (since manufacture in 2013) and I finally had my first issue.

On Halloween (OOOoooOOoo!), I get in the car after a couple trips earlier in the day when I realize I am getting the message that roads may be icy. Low and behold, the external temperature reading is a lovely -31°C. However I am in a t-shirt, so I realize either my car is broken, or I am! Wait a minute, my GOM shows not a single green tic tac of charge left with "--" as the number, and everything is reading in metric now! I enjoy my science as much as the next guy/gal so I figure I can give it a go, but I realize I will probably need my range estimation back. Further, I'm apparently in need of washer fluid. What a conundrum.

"What could be causing this?" I ponder.

"Eureka!" I exclaim as I recall the many threads about 12V batteries being the root of all evil. So I grab my voltmeter to check the voltage when off: 12.90 volts. Hmm, that seems normal and I don't have a battery tester, but it's probably time to change it anyway.

I call the dealer (City Chevrolet in Charlotte) to ask about the LN1AGM battery (again found on this forum). They don't even have it and can't get it! Instead, they recommend a standard lead acid battery instead of AGM that won't even fit! So I called AC Delco and they gave me a distributor in Charlotte I could get it from and the guy only charges $150 for it, which is the best price I've seen for it (for TheLondonBroiler: it's Battery Service on 24th St).

I swap the battery in the parking lot, and all my issues disappear. My wife and kids even love me again!

Anyway, just a quick story with the same resolution: Having some quirky problems that seem like your car is dying? Don't worry, it's just the 12 volt!

After reading a number of posts about 12 volt battery problems, I decided to follow one poster's advice and start taking better care of the 12-volt battery in my 2014 and 2016 Spark EVs. I replaced the 12-volt AGM battery in my 2014 Spark EV and purchased a BatteryMINDer model 2012-AGM charger. I also added a 25 ft extension cable and the adapter to charge through the OBD-2 port. Now, around the first of each month, I charge each car overnight for 12 hours or more. The adapter to charge through the OBD-2 port makes charging a piece of cake! The BatteryMINDer 2012-AGM charger has the desulfating option too.

Post subject: Re: Instrument cluster going crazy? 12V replacement wins aga
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:36 am 

MrDRMorgan wrote:
After reading a number of posts about 12 volt battery problems, I decided to follow one poster's advice and start taking better care of the 12-volt battery in my 2014 and 2016 Spark EVs. ... I charge each car overnight for 12 hours or more. ... The BatteryMINDer 2012-AGM charger has the desulfating option too.
I do the same with all the 12V lead acid batteries around the ranch, about once a month.

I recently performed an aviation type Capacity Check on my +4 year old Spark EV 12V battery. It is in great health!

My el'cheapo lawn equipment batteries are hanging in there for +3 and +4 years.