Chevy Spark EV Forum

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Greenlots RFID problem?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:12 pm 

So Greenlots has sent me 3 rfid cards and they always return an "invalid" error when scanned. I usually just use apps to activate charging sessions, but I like having rfid cards for backup. My EVGO & ChargePoint cards were free and they work fine. Greenlots charges $5 for one, and it's already a losing proposition for them, as they've spent more on postage already.

Anyone else have this problem?

Post subject: Re: Greenlots RFID problem?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:49 pm 

Have you tried at multiple (different) charging stations? Or is it always the same few that give an error?

I once read of a guy having problems with his card, and after a long back-and-forth of info he casually mentioned that he has all his cards on a keychain - he punches holes in them with a (stationary) hole-punch. Uhhh, dude - guess why your rfid isn't working? (I said to him)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:01 am 

TheLondonBroiler wrote:
So Greenlots has sent me 3 rfid cards and they always return an "invalid" error when scanned. I usually just use apps to activate charging sessions, but I like having rfid cards for backup. My EVGO & ChargePoint cards were free and they work fine. Greenlots charges $5 for one, and it's already a losing proposition for them, as they've spent more on postage already.

Anyone else have this problem?

Recently, I used my Greenlots FOB to charge at the SMUD DCFC in Citrus Heights, CA. It worked fine. 30 minutes later I tried to charge at the SMUD DCFC in Elk Grove, CA and it would not work. I requested and received a replacement RFID card from Greenlots. This week, I tried the new RFID card on the SMUD DCFC in Elk Grove and this time it worked. However, this location has two DCFC stations and there was a note on one about not being able to activate the DCFC.

Have you tried other Greenlots charging locations?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:32 pm 

SparkE wrote:
Have you tried at multiple (different) charging stations? Or is it always the same few that give an error?

I once read of a guy having problems with his card, and after a long back-and-forth of info he casually mentioned that he has all his cards on a keychain - he punches holes in them with a (stationary) hole-punch

I've tried 3 different stations with the first 2 cards( only one so far with the last card I received). I was really hopeful with the last card I received, as it is a different color than the first two (I thought there might have been some issue related with first two sent)

I keep all my rfid cards in a manual case/organizer.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:38 pm 

Update: Greenlots quietly resolved this.

I called Greenlots about a month ago (after 3 emails went nowhere), spoke to a representative, and calmly told her how disappointed I was that I PAID $5 for this rfid card that doesn't even work, how ChargePoint and EVGo sent me theirs for free and they have been flawless, but that I still love Greenlots, and yada yada yada, if you can have someone who specializes in this area give me a call back so that this can be resolved, I'd appreciate it. Well, I never did get that call, but I was cruising around today, and did 3 dcfc sessions, on the second of which, I had the genius idea to retry the card. Success, it said, whereas before it was "invalid". The first one was a free station, but the next one was a paid station, and worked great too.

This was obviously an error on their end, but I'm just glad they got things ironed out. Maybe I should call them up and see if they want the other 2 rfid cards they sent me back :lol: If you're reading, thanks Greenlots!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:16 am 

I do not have the card, but I have the thicker keychain rfid. Mine works at the 65kw stations like HQ and the airport, but does not work at 50kw stations like Elk Grove. Never called to ask about it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:07 pm 

67goat wrote:
I do not have the card, but I have the thicker keychain rfid. Mine works at the 65kw stations like HQ and the airport, but does not work at 50kw stations like Elk Grove. Never called to ask about it.

Now that is interesting! I too had my Greenlots "keychain" RFID device fail at the Elk Grove station. I requested and received a credit card sized RFID card and it worked just fine. ????

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:18 am 

Never have had a RFID card from Greenlots, always use the phone app and never had a problem.