Dead Spark EV

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickeybiosense

I blown a front tire on my spark EV hitting a pot hole and the car died. It would not shut down or initialized. I had car towed to Chevy dealer in Houston Texas and the dealer repair center thinks that when you lose all pressure in a tire the car becomes disabled. Anyone know this for sure? On star had no clue.
Dealer wants to hold car as they are not sure how to diagnose failure. They had to push it into shop would not turn on.
By the way, on star was great. They sent truck to get car at no charge to Chevy dealer took the tow truck driver a half hour to find a way to load car on flat bed. Since the car is sealed under car he could not find a hook to pull car to flat bed. Finally after both of us under the car we found one hook front right but it's hard to find. No reference in manual.

Dealer was not sure even if they can diagnose car they said they only have a volt trained tech.

If I were on your dealer's crack repair crew I'd hook my GM diagnostic gear to my GM car and use GM documentation to figure it out.

Disconnecting the 12V battery might be informative, but codes should be pulled first.

> They sent truck to get car at no charge to Chevy dealer took the tow truck driver a half hour to find a way to load car on flat bed. Since the car is sealed under car he could not find a hook to pull car to flat bed. Finally after both of us under the car we found one hook front right but it's hard to find. No reference in manual.

Page 10-60 in 2014 Spark EV manual:

Carefully open the cover by using the small notch that conceals the tow eye socket.

Install the tow eye into the socket by turning it clockwise until it stops. When the tow eye is removed, reinstall the cover with the notch in the original position.

Tow eye cap is #10 in this image

So status on Spark EV.

Chevy Dealer in Houston still struggling to figure out why the car does not initialize after I blown the front right tire lol. Best part, there is not a single factory installed Spark EV tire available in the USA to be purchased. These are low resistant tires for the Spark EV. They finally talk to a dealer in Florida who might be able to get the same factory installed tire ordered. This is way to funny. Dealer not sure if the car does not work because the tire is blown.

mickeybiosense said:
Dealer not sure if the car does not work because the tire is blown.

These people have no business being under the hood of any car, let alone one well equipped to electrocute an idiot.

OK really dumb ? ..............
Why can't they just get a tire that will fit the rim and car and see if the car starts ???

Have no idea I don't want to piss them off will drive my ELR till they figure it out. But I must say when I bought the car in California and ship to Texas the dealer warned me that dealers around the country are not obligated to fix the spark EV outside of California and Oregon. Therefore I'm treading carefully. If changing the tire does not do anything I need their volt technician to figure out what else happen to car.

tigger19687 said:
OK really dumb ? ..............
Why can't they just get a tire that will fit the rim and car and see if the car starts ???
Whatever electronic kill switch exists it is almost certainly tied to the TPMS. The only other way to tell would be through by suspension angle or wheel speed sensor.

mickeybiosense said:
Have no idea I don't want to piss them off will drive my ELR till they figure it out. But I must say when I bought the car in California and ship to Texas the dealer warned me that dealers around the country are not obligated to fix the spark EV outside of California and Oregon. Therefore I'm treading carefully. If changing the tire does not do anything I need their volt technician to figure out what else happen to car.
Obligated is the key word. If they aren't an official service center for the Spark EV, they can just say something is beyond the training of their technicians, and you would have to try another dealership in Texas. That could happen at a dealership in CA too though. Not every dealer has sent mechanics through the Spark EV training program. If they can't even fix a Volt, just tell the tow truck to keep driving.

Luckily, many things go in your favor. All the parts are in the dealer database. Any place that can service a Volt will have the tools and training to service most of the car. Relatively few parts could brake that would be difficult to replace. All the electronics are easily accessible from the top of the engine bay. Even removing the battery pack or motor shouldn't require anything drastic.

These motors are basically prototypes, so I am positive GM would want any repairs to the motor to be done only after their engineers had inspected it. That means a main motor repair is probably a one month wait or more regardless of where you are. One member has been waiting two weeks having his main battery replaced, and GM wants the dealers to communicate with them extensively.

FutureFolly said:
These motors are basically prototypes, so I am positive GM would want any repairs to the motor to be done only after their engineers had inspected it. That means a main motor repair is probably a one month wait or more regardless of where you are.

Do you have any basis for these claims? Can you prove that these motor assemblies have NOT been through extensive development, durability testing, manufacturing process improvements, etc. just like any other part GM brings to production? Have you tried to get your Spark EV motor replaced and been told there's a one month or more wait time?

If you want to keep making stuff up, that's fine...but please don't state your ideas as though they're facts on this forum. It causes bad information to spread, and works against those of us trying to provide accurate information and facts to the public, specifically when it comes to EVs.

Bryce

Nashco said:
FutureFolly said:
These motors are basically prototypes, so I am positive GM would want any repairs to the motor to be done only after their engineers had inspected it. That means a main motor repair is probably a one month wait or more regardless of where you are.

Do you have any basis for these claims? Can you prove that these motor assemblies have NOT been through extensive development, durability testing, manufacturing process improvements, etc. just like any other part GM brings to production? Have you tried to get your Spark EV motor replaced and been told there's a one month or more wait time?

If you want to keep making stuff up, that's fine...but please don't state your ideas as though they're facts on this forum. It causes bad information to spread, and works against those of us trying to provide accurate information and facts to the public, specifically when it comes to EVs.

Bryce
I never stated any of that as fact nor does "basically" being a prototype require something hasn't been tested properly. During all stages of testing failures teach engineers more than normal operation. Understanding the limitations, irregularities, and potential of equipment like EV drive units and battery packs allows improvements to target weaknesses while at the same exploiting benefits. Unlike an ICE, a properly working EV motor also shouldn't be able to destroy itself, so ALL failures should be at least preventable with the right power mapping.

I will state factually that how a new technology wears and fails is of great interest to the automaker. Years ago I read about Toyota buying a high-mile, first generation Prius just to have engineers tear it apart and see how parts were handling the stress and age. Henry Ford would send engineers to junk yards to inspect old cars so parts could be better engineered. Early anecdotes about Voltec failures mentioned long waiting times for what ended up being multiple rebuilds that each required sending the transaxle back to GM. The real world is just another testing ground for automakers. They utilize it just as much as their own facilities.

My general point was that relatively few problems with the Spark EV would be dependent on access to a certified Spark EV service center.

I have read about the 1ET35 extensively though. The electronics were specifically mounted to a cross bar high in the engine bay to make removal of them and the motor easier. From diagrams, the motor appears to be easy to lower out of the engine bay as well. I am assuming the battery pack is removable out the hatch with an engine hoist like I've seen done in other EVs and hybrids. I haven't found the dealer service manual to confirm though.

What makes the 1ET35 "basically" a prototype is its totally unique architecture, and the very limited scale of production. The Bolt is planned at ~30,000 unit per year. In addition, the Karl EV production targets are still unknown. That would put current volumes at around 2-3% of their immediate plans. Before GM has invested extensively in tooling, any design flaws or improvements will be the most cost effective to implement at scale. In addition to the cost savings of early problem solving, all signs point to at least a decent PR push for the Bolt that would be hurt by the kinds of reliability problems the Model S has gone through.

Maybe they would just send a failed drive unit to the factory in Maryland for a quick rebuild, but that would be a missed opportunity on GM's part to save money, credibility, and time.

mickeybiosense said:
I blown a front tire on my spark EV hitting a pot hole and the car died. It would not shut down or initialized. I had car towed to Chevy dealer in Houston Texas and the dealer repair center thinks that when you lose all pressure in a tire the car becomes disabled. Anyone know this for sure? On star had no clue.
Dealer wants to hold car as they are not sure how to diagnose failure. They had to push it into shop would not turn on.

Dealer was not sure even if they can diagnose car they said they only have a volt trained tech.
I was browsing through the owners manual today and found the reason his car shut down.

Page 10-13, under Battery:

This vehicle has a high voltage battery and a standard 12-volt battery.

If the vehicle is in a crash, the sensing system may shut down the high voltage system. When this occurs, the high voltage battery is disconnected and the vehicle will not start. The SERVICE VEHICLE SOON message in the Driver Information Center (DIC) will be displayed. Before the vehicle can be operated again, it must be serviced at your dealer.

Hitting a pothole hard enough to blow out a tire is enough of a crash simulation that the sensor probably disabled the car.

mickey,

How does this story end? You haven't posted any follow up.

I am considering buying a Spark EV and bringing it to Kansas City, but I am waiting for the official word from GM about supporting the car at local Chevy dealers.
I had a Volt and now I'm ready to take the BEV plunge !

I can't understand why the dealership you took it to didn't immediately get on the phone to GM tech support and ask the basic question "Is TPMS cable of disabling the HV system?".
The comment above about a crash impact doing that makes sense. So why don't they know that and perform the reset?

Please post your experiences with your Spark EV in a non-supporting state, Thanks!

Back