2014 vs 2015

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitechman47

So I have been in the market for a Spark EV, for all you owners out there, have you tried driving both the '14 and '15? I test drove a '15, turned off traction control (holding down button for 10 seconds until the light came on) and it can barely chirp the tires off the line. Do the '14's have better acceleration? it just didn't feel like a 7.2 second at all- also when at speed, flooring it seemed like an initial burst of power then it pulls it back, do yours do that also? I did have a quite large passenger (salesman) in there so may all that extra weight killed it? Guess I was disappointed, maybe its just cause its so smooth. I do like the firm suspension though, overall I really like the car, just torn between the '14 and '15.

Although I've never driven a 2014. I think both 2014/15 models should drive in a similar fashion. The 2014 has a higher torque motor but the 2015 has a lower gear ratio. axle torque is about the same.

Electric motor + single speed trans are different than a traditional ICE+ multi speed trans
1. There is no clutch/torque converter to give a quick rev and dump. And electornic nannies limit initial torque. You won't get a quick off the line acceleration, but you will get consistent acceleration up till ~50 mph.
2. Axle torque is flat 3.14/3.88:1 vs having 1st and 2nd gear multiplied 15/7:1 and diminishing torque as your gear ratio gets taller.
3. Electric drives more like a CVT without the flaws of a CVT - being in the wrong ratio at the right time.

You will get better performance out of a charged and conditioned battery. Since the performance is largely dependent on voltage/current available.

the 14 has a larger (24kw capacity/21kw usable ) pack vs the 15 with a smaller pack (19k w capacity/18kw usable). But the 15 is supposed to more efficient driveline and lower curb weight.

Lastly, here are some torque curves of a 5 speed something vs an electric drive spark. Note the spark has a dip in toque from 0-5 mph. This is the dead spot off the line. Note how the 5 speed has lots of torque off the line but loses half the torque with each gear change and delivery is lumpy.

The Spark is kinda slow off the line. The motor packs a mid punch around 30-50 mph - where the powerband of the electric motor is. After that you are KW/heat limited.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8227/8593664014_6345b3daa1_b.jpg
http://wiki.truevision3d.com/fetch.php?cache=cache&media=tv3d6.5%3Agearbox5.jpg

Edit: it's also why CVTs feel so slow. There just isn't the excitement of hitting the powerband and the satisfaction of a good 1-2 shift.

I have and I bought the '15 for a few reasons: one is the battery which I think the '15 has a better thermal management system. I liked that the '15 didn't feel as squirrelly as the '14 on WOT acceleration. I also like that the '15 weighs a bit less. Both are excellent choices.

mitechman47 said:
So I have been in the market for a Spark EV, for all you owners out there, have you tried driving both the '14 and '15? I test drove a '15, turned off traction control (holding down button for 10 seconds until the light came on) and it can barely chirp the tires off the line. Do the '14's have better acceleration? it just didn't feel like a 7.2 second at all- also when at speed, flooring it seemed like an initial burst of power then it pulls it back, do yours do that also? I did have a quite large passenger (salesman) in there so may all that extra weight killed it? Guess I was disappointed, maybe its just cause its so smooth. I do like the firm suspension though, overall I really like the car, just torn between the '14 and '15.

I own a Spark EV and have had it for almost 2 years now.

I can assure you that this car is quick if you drive it in a way where it takes advantage of the performance.

Yes it’s a strange thing to say but after having owned this thing for this long, I’ve learned the DO’s and DON’Ts of how to drive this car.

The car’s weakest link is its traction and suspension. Simply gunning this thing gives the worst performance as the traction control is extremely aggressive and the overall traction of the car is abysmal.

I’ve found many times that cars that beat me off the line are left for dead in mid-range by my Spark EV. I am shocked at how fast this thing is from 25-70. I’ve gone up against some seriously quick German cars and found myself keeping up with them all the way to top speed and edging them out in some cases. However, off the line I’d get whooped.

This is an odd little car with excellent performance only if you know how to utilize it. The rolling acceleration numbers had by C/D are conservative IMO because I know full well what this little thing can do on the roll. But man, does it suffer from a bouncy floaty suspension and poor traction.

Three things that would make the Spark EV a real rocket even off the line:

A) A more laxed traction control system – the current system completely kills the power from any hint of wheel slip.

B) Stiffer shocks/springs – during off-the-line acceleration the squat on this car is drastic and nose lift is equally bad…lightening the front even more and those pathetic LRR tires just can’t cope, traction control kicks in and you’re done.

C) Larger wheels/rims – a simple way to increase your torque multiplier to the road.

Thanks for all that replied- I bought a white 2014.

I drove both years and this is what I noticed-

2014- mushy off the line but quickly powers up- feels so good over 40 and keeps pulling.
suspension seems too soft in the rear and WOT after moving you have to pay attention to the torque going to the front wheels- its not bad but the FWD will tend to hunt as it is right at the edge of traction.

2015- seems a little better off the line but over 40 it pulls a little less than the '14- they changed the gear ratio but also lowered the motor torque...more apparent at speed. The lighter batteries really help the rear suspension feeling- '15 feels pretty tight and there is little torque steer when WOT.

Both cars very similar, the low resistance tires are not really designed for traction, any more power off the line and it will just spin them- I know the torque/gear ratios make both years similar but the '14 just feels stronger at speed.
Like others have said both years are great choices.
I will be modifying! Ill keep you posted.

ImTedBell said:
the 14 has a larger (24kw capacity/21kw usable ) pack vs the 15 with a smaller pack (19k w capacity/18kw usable). But the 15 is supposed to more efficient driveline and lower curb weight.

The 2014 has a 21.4kWh battery with 17.3kWh usable according to most information.

The 2015 has a 19kWh battery with undefined usable energy as far as I've been able to determine. The EPA range is the same as the 2014 so presumably the battery usable is similar although maybe slightly lower in view of improved efficiency with the changed final drive ratio.

My 2014 indicated ~19.5kWh usable when it was new (15,000 mi 2yrs ago) but that has steadily dropped to about 17.3kWh now.

kevin

Back