2015 Chevy Spark EV specifications

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I presume there are electronic limiters that are involved too, but who knows to what extent. The obvious difference between the Fiat and the SParkEV is that final drive ratio where the Spark has long legs which take longer to get rolling, but once rolling it really gets rolling - the Fiat has short legs which start fast but lose it as speed climbs.

Kind of like starting from a standstill on a bicycle with its chain in the big ring up front and the smallest ring in the back (Spark) going against a bicycle starting in the small ring up front and a larger ring at the rear (Fiat). The monster torque in the Spark keeps it from getting totally disrespected at the start.

Hehe...apparently these guys took the limiters off...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v2aYpMOn-8

For me personally, I'd happily give up a second or two 0-60 (so equivalent to a LEAF or Focus) to gain 10 or 15 miles more range at 65+ mph, and retain or improve 30-50 and 50-70 passing accel. I regard the latter as far more useful in the real world than 0-60 times; I'm not interested in drag racing, but I do have to merge with or pass traffic regularly.

Yes I agree actually..I modified my earlier post... I constantly find myself wanting better mid-range acceleration with my regular Fiat 500. I'm constantly having to slip in between cars here and there because people drive like aholes around here in LA. So being able to squeeze that throttle and out-punching them is almost a necessity at times.

Midrange acceleration is great!

FYI:

Peter Savagian - May 1, 2013 at 12:21 pm

I am the general director for Electric Drives and Electrification Systems Engineering at General Motors. I need to disabuse you of the mistaken notion that this motor has less than 400 ftlb of Torque. The Spark EV motor is designed and manufactured by GM. This motor makes 540 Nm (402 ftlbf) of Torque at stall and out to about 2000 rpm. This is not gear- multiplied axle torque, but actual motor shaft torque.

The very high torque is motor performance that we are very proud of, and customers will notice the difference: (It has a gear reduction of 3.18 to 1, so the axle torque is the product of these two). This is a very low numerical reduction ratio, which has several great benefits – 1) Feels much better to drive. 3.18:1 is less than half of the reduction of all other EVs. This makes for extraordinarly low driveline inertia, less than 1/5 of the driveline inertia of the Nissan Leaf and 1/4 that of the Fiat 500 EV. Their cars feel like you are driving around in second gear all day long; ours feels like fourth gear. 2) Lower gear mesh, spinning losses, and lower high speed electromagnetic losses mean very high drive unit efficiency. The Spark EV efficiency from DC current to delivered Wheel torque is 85% averaged over the city driving schedule and 92% when averaged over the highway schedule. This is the highest in the industry, and that is one of the reasons why the Spark EV sets the benchmark for most efficient car.

Very interesting presentation; thanks for sharing! I'm a bit confused by the thought "there's no clarity to what the gear ratio change will be on performance" On page 7 there appears to be a graph showing the Spark EV range vs 0-60 times with both axle ratios. Looks like the new 3.87 is about a second slower to 60 but has increased range. I agree that they could possibly change the software/electronics to compensate somewhat, but back in the development stage it appears they tried both ratios and got the results shown.

So if I decide to buy another Spark EV to add to our leased one, I better get a 2014! I prefer acceleration to range....

bumbledad said:
Very interesting presentation; thanks for sharing! I'm a bit confused by the thought "there's no clarity to what the gear ratio change will be on performance" On page 7 there appears to be a graph showing the Spark EV range vs 0-60 times with both axle ratios. Looks like the new 3.87 is about a second slower to 60 but has increased range. I agree that they could possibly change the software/electronics to compensate somewhat, but back in the development stage it appears they tried both ratios and got the results shown.

So if I decide to buy another Spark EV to add to our leased one, I better get a 2014! I prefer acceleration to range....
I don't think that's 0-60 times, I believe that's power/mile, (IV=P)*M at 60 mph on the X-axis, versus city range on the Y-axis. As I read it, it shows the 3.87 has better city range but uses more power at 60 mph than the 3.87 [Edit: 3.17] , which is exactly what I'd expect from the difference.

Interesting. Certainly IV = Watts, but when I googled "IVM 60", since I didn't know what it meant I saw usage as "Initial Vehicle Movement" to 60 mph. I assumed they were getting 0-60 times without driver reactions in the measurement. I guess it could be either way!

To that OP, that is not longer listed on the link you provided.

But I hope that we can get the Green, with Cloth seats.

Such a stupid color blue, they need to get a Ocean Blue, NOT a baby Blue... looks terrible.

Anyone hear anything on WHEN the 2015 will be out?

I am not sure when Chevy puts out new models and not sure if it depends on the model or just the year.

Also, anyone know about REAL dealer price to start neg on?

tigger19687 said:
Such a stupid color blue, they need to get a Ocean Blue, NOT a baby Blue... looks terrible.
I know there's no accounting for taste, but Hey! We love our little blue Easter egg :D . Now if they'd had that grape ice color, we'd have bought it in a heartbeat. The interior accent color, however, should match the exterior as it does in ICE Sparks.

Also remember light colors stay cooler, giving better range since you can keep the AC off. Of course where you're from, I fear it's all moot. I don't see GM expanding sales past the west coast any time soon :( .

emv said:
tigger19687 said:
I know there's no accounting for taste, but Hey! We love our little blue Easter egg :D . Now if they'd had that grape ice color, we'd have bought it in a heartbeat. The interior accent color, however, should match the exterior as it does in ICE Sparks.

Also remember light colors stay cooler, giving better range since you can keep the AC off. Of course where you're from, I fear it's all moot. I don't see GM expanding sales past the west coast any time soon :( .

Oh no, it IS coming, the dealers now have it listed on their website.. even though they don't have the inventory yet. Last month you didn't even see it listed on the web site.

I want the Green and then I am going to put stuff on it to look like a green insect or bug or something. Gotta have fun !

emv said:
tigger19687 said:

Have to admit I love my blue car. It was my second choice of color; I had planned to get silver. Now I'm so happy with the color. It really cheers me up on stressful days.

I hope you're right, it's just a kick in the pants to drive. There have been false alarms before (one that I unfortunately helped spread :cry: ). I'm curious, which dealer?

EMV, if you are talking to me. I just googled some and NC, Virginia, and some Mass dealers had the "special financing" there, but did not have any in stock.

I hope they change their mind on the Green, or I will have to get the Golf-E with the Nice blue blue color... and bigger room

Not really. you will not be as tall :)
And I am sure you will treat it better then they do their livestock

Wait..... you are going to order a 2014 or 2015 ?... and where do you live?

East coast of Lake Huron . I could order a fleet 2014 now but would prefer the higher gear ratio 2015 with the optional franken plug.
We have an excellent local dealer that my extended family has dealt with for the past 48+ years.
My children need a gokart for transport when playing after school sports.
I should be able to shame the school board green weenies into a charging plug.

buickanddeere said:
East coast of Lake Huron . I could order a fleet 2014 now but would prefer the higher gear ratio 2015 with the optional franken plug.
We have an excellent local dealer that my extended family has dealt with for the past 48+ years.
My children need a scooter for transport when playing after school sports.
I should be able to shame the school board green weenies into a charging plug.

Just don't get arrested for charging at school like this guy

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/ga-man-arrested-charging-electric-car-local-middle/story?id=21098590

That guy was an AH.
I am sure the story DID NOT GO the way he described it.

I would like to know what the Courts said in the end. :lol:

That's ridiculous...I really don't think he should get arrested over that...what a waste of taxpayer dollars.

Why doesn't the school just bill him for the $5-10 he "stole" for the charging.

Instead they are spending thousands in using police resources, jail resources, court resources....lol.

This was already mentioned in another thread, but for the sake of those looking at 2015 Spark EV specifications, this is a big deal!

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2014/May/0514-brownstown.html

Brownstown Battery Assembly Expands Capabilities
Will build battery system for 2015 Chevrolet Spark EV
2014-05-14

DETROIT – General Motors will bring all its electric vehicle battery building capabilities in-house with production of battery systems for the 2015 Chevrolet Spark EV at its battery assembly plant in Brownstown, Mich.

“Using our in-house engineering and manufacturing expertise enabled us to deliver a battery system that is more efficient and lighter than the 2014 Spark EV without sacrificing range,” said Larry Nitz, executive director of GM global transmission and electrification engineering. “Our successful working relationship with LG Chem has allowed us to deliver a new battery system for the Spark EV that helps us to better leverage our economies of scale.”

A newly designed battery system features an overall storage capacity of 19 kWh and uses 192 lithium ion cells. The cells are produced at LG Chem’s plant in Holland, Mich. The battery system weight of 474 lbs. is 86 pounds lighter than the system in the 2014 Spark EV. The Spark EV battery is built on a dedicated production line at Brownstown, which also manufactures complete battery packs for the Chevrolet Volt, Opel Ampera and Cadillac ELR.

Changes in battery design will not affect the Spark’s MPGe, or gasoline equivalent, performance compared to the 2014 model. Range will remain at an EPA-rated 82 miles and MPGe will remain at 119.

Priced at $19,995 with full federal incentives, The Spark EV is one of the most efficient – and affordable – all-electric vehicles available. Currently on sale in California and Oregon, the 2015 Spark EV features segment-leading technology including Siri Eyes Free, 4G LTE and DC Fast Charging.

Brownstown Battery Assembly’s 479,000-square-foot, landfill-free facility south of Detroit produces the lithium-ion battery packs for GM’s extended-range electric vehicles. It started mass production in October 2010 and is the first high-volume manufacturing site in the U.S. operated by a major automaker for automotive lithium-ion battery production. The site was made possible with the help of American Recovery and Reinvestment Act funding through the U.S. Department of Energy.

There are pictures in the press release linked above as well.

Bryce

Back