2nd Day of Ownership - Thoughts

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nozferatu

So I finally got the Spark. Leased it for 3 years so we shall see how it goes.

I traded in my Fiat 500 Sport. I took a little bit of a hit on it but all things said and done given the fuel mileage advantage and rebate, I come out about $80/month ahead.

So here are my thoughts and please keep in mind the car I was driving prior.

Styling:

From some angles the Spark EV looks pretty good. 3/4 rear, etc are nice as are 3/4 front. Styling-wise, the Fiat has it licked hands down. That car really had oodles of character and charm. It was in the details from the instrument cluster to the door handles, colour matching interior/exterior, stylish rims, great lighting, etc.

The proportions of the car are not quite right compared to the Fiat IMO.

Driving Experience:

It's still new to say but it's definitely a weird experience. It will take some getting used to to be honest.

Positive Things:

- very good acceleration
- pretty comfortable ride
- quiet

Negative Things:

- Rather characterless feel
- Steering feels very artificial and doesn't have any real feel; tough to keep the car's line during cornering.
- Ride is a bit too floaty - it feels like a Cadillac of small cars. The Fiat had a real "European" feeling ride to it...well damped but stiff.
- Darts around a bit too much
- Brakes are truly awful in feel - very artificial and during creep it takes considerable effort to stop the car on an incline.
- Creep is far too aggressive - takes a lot of effort to keep the car from moving

Quality/Interior:

The overall quality seems OK if not a bit chinsy. The Fiat felt more substantial...particularly the doors. They closed with a certain heaviness that the Spark's doors do not have...they almost feel cheap and "thin" in comparison.

The stereo is God-awful. It really has bargain-basement sound. I don't know why Chevy did this given this car is all about electronics. Shame. Fiat's Bose system was very good with deep base and clarity. However, there was a lot of rattling going on in the Fiat's door panels.

Seats are somewhat flat and don't offer much support. But they are OK.

Rear legroom is quite good with my driving position.

Overall the cabin feels a little bit bigger than my Fiat's but that's because it has no moonroof like the Fiat did and I think it's a slightly bigger car overall.

Time will tell if rattles start anywhere but so far all is quiet.

CONCLUSION

My new Spark EV replaced my Fiat because I wanted a car that was electric. Have I regretted it? Well...no not really but I will admit I will miss my Fiat's style and charm. That car really put a smile on my face whereas this car feels more like an appliance compared to the Fiat. The Fiat was an event...the Spark is a car. It delivers linear acceleration efficiently and smoothly. But it misses the feel of a regular car.

I suppose it's too be expected given it's an electric car. It's going to take some getting used to that's for sure. I really hope I don't feel regret down the road but we shall see. I'm glad I don't need to use fuel to go here and there anymore. It's a perfect city car or small hop-around vehicle. So that part really does feel great. But it's not a car that evokes much emotion. I just think that is the nature of electric cars.....and highly efficient systems.

Fire away.

Pegasus said:
I wonder why you didn't go with Fiat's 500E if you already know you like the brand so much but wanted electric?

Between the two electric cars, the Spark EV is the better EV IMO. Although the 500e has more standard amenities and is a more well equipped car. I couldn't resist the performance of the Spark.

Overall I like the Spark...don't get me wrong. I think I'm just adjusting to having an EV. It's a weird experience that's for sure.

What I would like to see in all EV's in the future is more sportiness....better driving feel. The Spark EV (and 500e) suffers from a soft suspension. It's just too plush for such a small car. There's no reason this car couldn't have felt more firm...upgraded springs would have helped a great deal IMO.

I think as time goes by, what I have initially written will be modified and changed as perspective changes. It's all new to me.

nozferatu said:
Pegasus said:
I wonder why you didn't go with Fiat's 500E if you already know you like the brand so much but wanted electric?

Between the two electric cars, the Spark EV is the better EV IMO. Although the 500e has more standard amenities and is a more well equipped car. I couldn't resist the performance of the Spark.

Overall I like the Spark...don't get me wrong. I think I'm just adjusting to having an EV. It's a weird experience that's for sure.

What I would like to see in all EV's in the future is more sportiness....better driving feel. The Spark EV (and 500e) suffers from a soft suspension. It's just too plush for such a small car. There's no reason this car couldn't have felt more firm...upgraded springs would have helped a great deal IMO.

I think as time goes by, what I have initially written will be modified and changed as perspective changes. It's all new to me.
I suspect too stiff a suspension would have been likely to cause car-sickness and/or kidney damage :D in cars with such short wheelbases, as they pitched over freeway truck-ripples. My '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster (89 inch wheelbase?) certainly did. Handled like a go-cart, though. I think Renault got it right with the 5 aka LeCar, although the typical French lack of rebound stiffness and no anti-roll bars resulted in the stereotypical 'cornering on their door handles'.

nozferatu said:
So I finally got the Spark. Leased it for 3 years so we shall see how it goes.

I traded in my Fiat 500 Sport. I took a little bit of a hit on it but all things said and done given the fuel mileage advantage and rebate, I come out about $80/month ahead.

So here are my thoughts and please keep in mind the car I was driving prior.

Styling:

From some angles the Spark EV looks pretty good. 3/4 rear, etc are nice as are 3/4 front. Styling-wise, the Fiat has it licked hands down. That car really had oodles of character and charm. It was in the details from the instrument cluster to the door handles, colour matching interior/exterior, stylish rims, great lighting, etc.

The proportions of the car are not quite right compared to the Fiat IMO.

Driving Experience:

It's still new to say but it's definitely a weird experience. It will take some getting used to to be honest.

Positive Things:

- very good acceleration
- pretty comfortable ride
- quiet

Negative Things:

- Rather characterless feel
- Steering feels very artificial and doesn't have any real feel; tough to keep the car's line during cornering.
- Ride is a bit too floaty - it feels like a Cadillac of small cars. The Fiat had a real "European" feeling ride to it...well damped but stiff.
- Darts around a bit too much
- Brakes are truly awful in feel - very artificial and during creep it takes considerable effort to stop the car on an incline.
- Creep is far too aggressive - takes a lot of effort to keep the car from moving

Quality/Interior:

The overall quality seems OK if not a bit chinsy. The Fiat felt more substantial...particularly the doors. They closed with a certain heaviness that the Spark's doors do not have...they almost feel cheap and "thin" in comparison.

The stereo is God-awful. It really has bargain-basement sound. I don't know why Chevy did this given this car is all about electronics. Shame. Fiat's Bose system was very good with deep base and clarity. However, there was a lot of rattling going on in the Fiat's door panels.

Seats are somewhat flat and don't offer much support. But they are OK.

Rear legroom is quite good with my driving position.

Overall the cabin feels a little bit bigger than my Fiat's but that's because it has no moonroof like the Fiat did and I think it's a slightly bigger car overall.

Time will tell if rattles start anywhere but so far all is quiet.

CONCLUSION

My new Spark EV replaced my Fiat because I wanted a car that was electric. Have I regretted it? Well...no not really but I will admit I will miss my Fiat's style and charm. That car really put a smile on my face whereas this car feels more like an appliance compared to the Fiat. The Fiat was an event...the Spark is a car. It delivers linear acceleration efficiently and smoothly. But it misses the feel of a regular car.

I suppose it's too be expected given it's an electric car. It's going to take some getting used to that's for sure. I really hope I don't feel regret down the road but we shall see. I'm glad I don't need to use fuel to go here and there anymore. It's a perfect city car or small hop-around vehicle. So that part really does feel great. But it's not a car that evokes much emotion. I just think that is the nature of electric cars.....and highly efficient systems.

Fire away.

I answered your post on GM-Volt as well. We have had our Spark for about four weeks now. I agree with most of your observations except the one on the brakes. Could be because the spark is replacing my Volt so I am used to the regenerative braking, but it seems fine to me. It's all good for me because I got my Spark EV as an appliance. I think I prefer the soft ride given I am stuck in the car for about two hours of stop-and-go driving per day. I also needed the 4-door given it was replacing my Volt.
I totally agree on the sound system. It has all that ability to access great sources like Pandora, USB, iPhone/iPod, etc. and yet the amp and speakers are base Daewoo. My car is a lease so I can't do any cutting to improve the stereo, but I will be looking for an aftermarket amp and some aftermarket speakers that fit the stock cutouts.

My wife has a 2013 500c Abarth so we drive that when we want sporty-cool. It also has the Beats premium audio which is quite good.

Huh. I would never describe my Spark as having a soft ride. In fact, my kart-racing friend remarked that it was pleasantly firm from the passenger seat. Are you running 35 pounds of air in the tires?

NomadMac said:
Huh. I would never describe my Spark as having a soft ride. In fact, my kart-racing friend remarked that it was pleasantly firm from the passenger seat. Are you running 35 pounds of air in the tires?

No I'm running about 38 PSI.

Compared to my 500 it's quite soft. But then the 500's ride was pretty stiff and bouncy. The Spark's suspension is definitely tuned more for comfort. It could with less rebound. Compression is not bad. Particularly in the back. But of course that's my taste.

Back