6.6kW effective charging?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ezryder said:
Where did you get this app? My OnStar app looks nothing like this - and I'm also on Verizon. Is this an iPhone? I'm on Android. Jellybean.

That's not what it looks like anymore, it's been totally reworked on the iphone. New version is definitely less buggy for Spark EV functions.

Bryce

Nashco said:
ezryder said:
Where did you get this app? My OnStar app looks nothing like this - and I'm also on Verizon. Is this an iPhone? I'm on Android. Jellybean.

That's not what it looks like anymore, it's been totally reworked on the iphone. New version is definitely less buggy for Spark EV functions.

Bryce

I have yet to get the notifications (full/interrupted charge) to work. Anyone get this to function?

SparkMoore said:
Pawl said:
I have yet to get the notifications (full/interrupted charge) to work. Anyone get this to function?

There's a whole other thread on this, but mine works just fine.

Yeah, I posted to that thread earlier. Still wondering if those whose app is working just fine are speaking of how it functions at home (as well as through commercial venders like Chargepoint.

It's working fine for me both at home plugged in to my Bosch and away with Blink.

Pawl said:

Get this (and yes, I had a good laugh when I read it), I received a welcome email from
Robert, GM Electric Vehicle Team,
EV Line: 866-754-8100,
Email: [email protected],
Subject: From Your Chevrolet Spark EV Advisor

stating among other things, that...

Your spark comes with a 120V charge cord which will charge your vehicle in approximately 10 hours. You can reduce this charging time to 8 hours by using a 240V charging station.
The 10 Hours exactly match what a Volt does on 120V @ 12A. And the Spark does take about 8 hours on 240V.

Someone got them confused or made a typo.

Pawl said:
Still wondering if those whose app is working just fine are speaking of how it functions at home (as well as through commercial venders like Chargepoint.
I get daily notifications that my car has completed charging: first from my car (via its cell phone to the mothership, then Onstar sends my phone a txt), and second from Chargepoint ( sometimes 10 minutes later, via their EVSE network and their mothership {I think} sending my a txt saying "car not using much power and probably done charging")

A few times I unplugged the car without 'stopping the charge' by touching my card to the chargepoint EVSE and got a txt in less than 10 seconds saying "Your car has been unplugged".
This makes me think these EVSE's don't have a direct network connection, but have a built in cell phone. That EVSE probably sent the 'unplugged' msg directly to my phone (via the cell network of course, but it is amazingly fast!)

So, after reading all 5 pages, I'm assuming there is no feasible way for us to modify the 3.3kW OBC.

I looked into L3 charging at home and it's impractical (cost), so I'll be paying the 39 cents/kW DCFC at Royal Farms here in MD.

Casualsurfer said:
So, after reading all 5 pages, I'm assuming there is no feasible way for us to modify the 3.3kW OBC.
I would agree, however adding additional booster chargers looks to be the way forward and easy, since the existing OBC is already liquid-cooled. This has the potential for 9.9kW (~42A) charging which would be fast enough for me in 95% of cases. (Zero to full in about 2 hours, so about 13 miles per 20 minutes of charging.) The biggest problem is finding (a) place(s) to mount it/them. I still have to take a good close look at the OBC's coolant loop connection points and the wire routing between it and the charge port. But I fully intend to, since I've had a few occasions in my two years of ownership where it would've made the difference between taking the Spark EV and taking the gasser.

I read that the LEAF went from 3 kW to 6 by placing two 3 kW chargers in parallel. That doubles the charging speed.

I'm not sure how much space the SPARK EV has to do that but a salvage yard SPARK EV could provide a 2nd on board charger at low cost to try it. I bought a SALVAGE 2015 SPARK EV for $4K with only 2k miles on it and redid it with 2 friends. Just a fender and hood and it's still on the road doing great. I've also bough salvage SPARK EV battery packs and used them for Solar PV backup after changing them to connect up at 24 vdc. a friend used 2 for a S-10 Extended cab conversion and can do 100 mile range on a charge.

What about swap it for the bolt or the new volt 2019 7.2kW onboard charger?

Adding the DCC fast charger option have been done successfully in Quebec. It costs CAN$2200.

Skullbearer, FutureFolly, NateCrawford and cwerdna

I know its been years, did you cancel the project?

The idea of swapping a Bolt charger in my Spark is very interresting.
I have looked into Setec AC/DC chargers , a bit too pricey for 10kw and having too carry that box around. IMO.

I'm researching into getting a 2nd generation Tesla 10kW charger instead. As also planned to eventually put Panasonic / Tesla batteries I think is the way to go. See my other tread

What about all the small wires currently installed in the pack charging circuits? They are designed for 3.3kW?
That video shows them going into a connector at the pack. That connector and all the related wires within the pack would need upgrading also.

Save you effort and buy a Bolt or if you have ~$60k sitting around buy a Tesla. :cool:
Or wait and see how all the new long range BEV's shake out!!

Back