60KW charging possible on Spark ?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't buy 100kW for SoulEV. I've waited for one, they tapered before 80% even using 50 kW DCFC. As for Ioniq, SparkEV is 2.6C, quicker than Ioniq.

SparkEV would add 130 miles quicker than Bolt due to Bolt taper starting at 50%. Even if Bolt is only charged below 50% and average power is the same (not; SparkEV would be higher average power due to higher voltage), SparkEV would still be quicker to add 130 miles due to higher operating efficiency.

The argument you make about charging is like arguing a gasoline tanker truck filling at 1 gal/min average "charges" quicker than a car with 10 gallon gas tank filling from 2.6 gal/min, because tanker truck can run much longer. That's wrong, because charging should be viewed independent of tank capacity.

There is no lie or exaggeration about it. Look at CHARGING instead other things like range or total battery capacity. SparkEV is the quickest CHARGING EV in history.

There is no lie or exaggeration about it. Look at CHARGING instead other things like range or total battery capacity. SparkEV is the quickest CHARGING EV in history.

Well, if you are going to take the position of 'C', the iMiev beats the SparkEV. 50 kW into a 16 kWh battery is over 3C. It charges from 10% to 80% (11.2kWh) in about 16 minutes.

It is a ridiculous way to look at 'speed' of charging, but if you insist ...

SparkE said:

Well, if you are going to take the position of 'C', the iMiev beats the SparkEV. 50 kW into a 16 kWh battery is over 3C. It charges from 10% to 80% (11.2kWh) in about 16 minutes.

FWIW - Last month my EVgo statement showed, for 3 different charging sessions at an EVgo ABB 50kw DCFC near my home, I added 10 kWh to my Spark EV's HV battery in 14 minutes and I stopped the charger at 95%. Personally, I think this is great!

MrDRMorgan said:
SparkE said:

FWIW - Last month my EVgo statement showed, for 3 different charging sessions at an EVgo ABB 50kw DCFC near my home, I added 10 kWh to my Spark EV's HV battery in 14 minutes and I stopped the charger at 95%. Personally, I think this is great!

I think it's great too! There's no reason to compare the Spark's assets with any other car's assets - they are wonderful all by themselves. And there's certainly no reason to exaggerate stuff, and twist reality!

MrDRMorgan said:
I think it's great too! There's no reason to compare the Spark's assets with any other car's assets - they are wonderful all by themselves. And there's certainly no reason to exaggerate stuff, and twist reality!
Actually, comparing such features is something I consider before making a purchase. When I decided to buy my Spark EV, I was not even aware of the DCFC feature. Thankfully, it just so happened to have it. I do make use of it several times a month, but I rarely charge to 100%, just enough to get where I need to go, which is usually home.

I can only understand and agree with the claim that Spark EV charges the "fastest" in one way. In the context of how much time a vehicle is actively using a DCFC charger, the Spark EV would spend the least amount of time there vs. any other EV if and only if charging to 100%.

This is an advantage in two ways. By being the "fastest" charging to 100% on common 50 kW DCFC public chargers, when paying to charge by the minute, the Spark EV provides excellent value. It also means other EV users will not have to wait very long for a Spark EV driver to finish and move on, making the charger available to other waiting customers.

I think this whole "fastest" thing got started because other EV's take longer to charge on DCFC, sometimes much longer, and it is can be a point of frustration for a waiting Spark EV that only needs a few minutes.

Here in Texas, I have only had to wait to DCFC charge twice, once for about a minute (BMW i3) and once for about 5 minutes (Nissan Leaf). I've had to wait on gas pumps before too.

I suppose I should add that I have never noticed another EV waiting on me to finish DCFC charging. I'm usually there and gone in 10 minutes or less, charging to 80% or less. My EVgo bills are quite easy to handle. Usually less than $3 per charge, and less than $50 per month. I just wish there were more chargers along US Interstates so I could give EVgo more of my money for a much valued service.

charles said:
I suppose I should add that I have never noticed another EV waiting on me to finish DCFC charging. I'm usually there and gone in 10 minutes or less, charging to 80% or less. My EVgo bills are quite easy to handle. Usually less than $3 per charge, and less than $50 per month. I just wish there were more chargers along US Interstates so I could give EVgo more of my money for a much valued service.

Ahhhh...Another fan of EVgo. I think EVgo is great too and EVgo has made extended-range driving of my Spark EV a great experience.

TheLondonBroiler said:
The owner's manual states:

"The vehicle is designed to take full
advantage of a 55kW DC charger to
obtain optimal charging times. When
the vehicle is connected to a
charger larger than 55kW, the
vehicle will not charge any quicker."

I will forward any relevant info.

I posted this on another represent thread, but was unsure it would reach all interested persons.

The mystery is over (pretty much). I drove Sparky 560 miles yesterday (in 20 hours) roundtrip to fincastle, va and played with a 350kw charger. The charger displayed maxed at 55kw (imagine that, GM was right on the money), and via the torque app, which mirrors the dash display, it peaked at 53kw being accepted. The battery temp went up to 91°f, which is the highest I've seen. We can all sleep easy now :)

YuyU08A.png

Back