A bit of rattling...build issues?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casualsurfer

I noticed a bit of rattling...more like cloth rubbing on something coming from the driver's side, near the window sill/headliner. I pushed and prodded the liner a bit and that seemed to have gone away, but was wondering if anyone else get the same sound when going over uneven surfaces?

Nice fix !!!

Just remember; It's a small, cheap korean S-box but with 37% American content. The American Muscle Parts !!!

This car, for me, has turned out to be one of the quietest, least rattly, cars I've ever driven...it's got decent build quality albeit the material isn't high grade. But the fit and finish is good.

Besides my lexus this car has been the quietest car I have owned. I have only heard rattles when I hit bumps hard enough to bottom out the suspension which is understandable.

The armrest on my driver's seat squeaks like crazy. Every time I put any weight on it, it makes an awful sound. I figured I'd have it checked out next time I go in for service. But I may just remove the damn thing if it drives me nuts before my next tire rotation.

When there are heavy winds, I get a louder than usual amount of wind noise that appears to be coming from the passenger side front door, along the front edge. Had that checked out, but the dealer of course found nothing. It only happens in high cross-winds at highway speeds. Of course when they took it out, there were no high cross-winds. But it has happened to me since, so I know its still there.

Some of Portland's roads are really terrible in that they have not been paved for what seems like years, and they have a sort of texture to the surface that makes the car buzz. This affects all vehicles, but I sometimes also get a vibration noise when driving over those roads that sounds like its coming from above me and to the left. I've tried tracking it down, but can't seem to pinpoint where its coming from. Hard to do when you're driving. Anyway, it could be coming from the same source as the original post from Casualsurfer. I'll push on the headliner next time I hear it and see if it doesn't go away.

I seem to be particularly sensitive to road noise and complain about stuff that other people don't seem to be bothered by. So much so that as quiet as the Spark EV is, I'm considering wrapping the whole thing in Dynamat. I actually used a sound meter app to test the decibels in the car as I was driving. I tested the Spark EV and a late model 5 Series BMW in the same area at the same speed. There was no discernible difference between the two as far as the app on my phone was concerned. So kudos to the Spark for being at least as good as the BMW, in that regard.

I'm thinking because we aren't smothered with lots of engine noise, like from an ICE, we're more apt to notice other noises for the first time. My thing is heavy rain. Large drops sound like marbles on the roof, as if they didn't install enough sound insulation. Otherwise this is the quietest vehicle I've ever owned.

Dusty said:
I'm thinking because we aren't smothered with lots of engine noise, like from an ICE, we're more apt to notice other noises for the first time. My thing is heavy rain. Large drops sound like marbles on the roof, as if they didn't install enough sound insulation. Otherwise this is the quietest vehicle I've ever owned.

When I test drove ours the salesman told me he had been using the car to commute, and his only complaint was that it was too loud. DH thought he was crazy, but he must have been driving on a concrete freeway, and the tire noise does get loud at high speeds. In my typical around town driving this car is undeniably freakishly quiet. I love to drive mine with all 4 windows open so that I still can't hear it.

Back