Anyone interested in custom made lowering springs?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mitechman47 said:
Lowering update-
1" front and 1.5" rear, it finally sits flat and level. I did the following;
After many attempts of cutting small amounts off the bottom of the front springs- 1" was one complete coil. Trimmed 1" off the bump stops also.
For the rear I tried two springs from summit racing $40 each. They are 2.5 diameter. Here are the two I tried.
SUM-72-10-300. This is a 10" 300lb rate spring- this will drop it 3/4" and you can use the stock shock. They ride slightly stiffer and reduce the rear squat on takeoff. Fits right in-place of the stock one.

SUM-72-09-350 (still testing so not yet recommended). This is a 9" 350lb rate- 1 1/2" drop. You can not use the stock shock as the spring is shorter than the shock travel, meaning it would likely fall out if you unload the rear suspension to the limit (huge bump/railroad track at high speed). I installed/modified a Bilstein sport shock from the late model Chevy Cruise- this shock is shorter than the stock SparkEV but Its still too soft and not worth the money. I have been driving this setup for a few weeks now- better than the stock setup- just about no rear squat at all now over large bumps where the stock ones just float over and its now a more connected to the road feeling.
I am currently working on some Rancho adjustable shocks, they are cheaper and can be dialed from soft to hard.
Ill keep you posted on the shocks, however, the top mounting points on the shocks have to be modified, so this will most likely keep most people from using them.

Any updates to this endeavor?

-Bob K.

Count me in for springs, after a drive on the highway. I'm also interested in shocks.

I asked this in another thread, but what would be the effect of just putting in the Megan Racing front kit for more front stiffness and adjustable spring rate?

Back