Bought one - finally

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
elp,

Sounds like you found a bargain car!
Having the MSO is the thing the Feds will want for your tax incentive.
Hopefully you can leave out the bill of sale on that filing....

I found a used one with history but only 3200 miles at a bargain price, but no tax incentive.
You sir, found a better deal than me!
Congrats, and good luck, you'll love it. And when you get your solar panels installed will be driving for free on home made energy !!

Thanks, Norton. I like the solar panel idea but probably won't go that far right now. Honestly, I'm not really a serious "greenie" but more interested in electric propulsion as a "gear head".

I've got some questions that I'm going to post over in the general forum. Maybe some of you good folks could help me with them.

Today I received the Mfg Cert of Origin from the seller and got the car titled and registered in Fl.

As GM requires for an out of state sale, the seller marketed the car as " used". But the FL DMV titled it as new because it was still on mco and the mileage shown on the bill of sale was only 62 - exactly as it was when it came off the transport truck here in Fl.

I'm fairly confident that this documentation will support the Federal $7500 Tax Credit. If so, I will have bought a "new" 2014 Spark EV for less than $11k.

As predicted by several folks here, I find I'm using the car much more than I originally anticipated. I've had it only 5 days and put nearly 300 miles on it. This with only L1 charging. My L2 charge station arrives in a couple of days - I'm sure it'll be more convenient but I could probably continue to use overnight L1 charging with minimal inconvenience.

Congrats ELPWR...Did you get it from Miller Brothers in Md? They have a lot of SparkEVs. That is where I got mine. Will be quite a coup if you get the FEd $7500 ITC as well!

Yes. Miller Brothers. Dealt with Zach Miller who was very responsive and helpful. He says they have several more "used" Spark EV's coming and he's very agreeable to arranging out of state purchases.

Hopefully this helps some Spark EV bargain hunters: Here in California I checked cars.com and autotrader.com and I found the Chevy dealer in Stockton, salesman's name is Tracy, who has a couple of Spark EV's at $19,xxx, one of them only 218 miles on it. The dealer has to call them "used" but they are Chevy factory demos. There are a bunch of these in California dealers but you want to be sure yours comes with MSO papers to insure your tax credit and Ca rebate. Here in California, that's $19k less $7500, less $2500 gets you a Spark EV with 218 miles on it for $9,xxx!!!!! Seems like a bargain to me! I'd buy one but I already have a Model S. I'm tempted to buy one to loan to friends in order to convert them to our EV Religion :)

You want to be very careful with these - if you're concerned about the tax credit.

I looked at, and test drove a GM "demo" car at Bunnin Chevrolet in Culver City. 280 miles on the odometer. But when the salesman did some further checking it had previously been titled and consequently wouldn't be eligible for the credit. And even if the car is still on mco there is some doubt if it has a few miles.

The IRS language requires the car to be "new". AND you must be "the first user" to be eligible.

elpwr said:
You want to be very careful with these - if you're concerned about the tax credit.

I looked at, and test drove a GM "demo" car at Bunnin Chevrolet in Culver City. 280 miles on the odometer. But when the salesman did some further checking it had previously been titled and consequently wouldn't be eligible for the credit. And even if the car is still on mco there is some doubt if it has a few miles.

The IRS language requires the car to be "new". AND you must be "the first user" to be eligible.

The salesman in Stockton said to me "this would be sold as a new car". Of course you'd want to substantiate that, but that is what I was told. If the car wasn't 500 miles away, I would like buy it just because I can hardly pass up on a great deal!

Back