Chevrolet Adds Another EV to its fleet with Chevy Spark

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

west

News for Spark EV forum.

The Chevrolet Spark micro-sub compact line has now been expanded with an all electric model. Chevrolet introduced the Spark EV to journalists today at the 2012 Los Angeles Auto Show. The Spark EV will be powered by a 130hp oil-cooled electric motor that delivers over 400 lb/ft of torque allowing it to accelerate from 0-6 in under 8 seconds and while that is still pretty slow its about 4 seconds quicker than the 84hp gas-sipping model.

The 20 kWh lithium-ion battery is made by the same guys that provide batteries for the Fisker Karma. Owners will be able to rapid charge the battery up to 80% capacity using a DC fast charger. At home it will charge up in about 7-8 hours on a 240v line although the car only comes with 120v charging accessories.

“When you engineer a technology-filled, all-electric mini car that goes from zero-to-60 mph in less than eight seconds, customers won’t miss the gas,” said Mark Reuss, president, General Motors North America. “The Volt and now the Spark EV show that Chevrolet not only knows EVs better than anyone else, we also know how to help customers get the most out of their EV experience.”

Chevrolet’s MyLink infotainment system can be found in the Spark bringing navigation and internet radio including Pandora into an easy to use touch screen interface. Also as we previously reported The Spark will be the first vehicle to carry the Siri Eyes Free mode system announced at WWDC this past summer.
The Chevy Spark EV will be available next summer at dealerships in California, Oregon, Canada and South Korea and is currently on display at the Los Angeles Auto Show which will be open to the public from November 30th until December 9th.

It's great to have a 20 kWh lithion-ion battery in the Chevy Spark EV, allowing it to have good electric range.

If Chevy Spark Ev comes with 120 V accessories would the charging time become double?

jake said:
If Chevy Spark Ev comes with 120 V accessories would the charging time become double?

It wouldn't double per se but it would be close. I would say that the recharging time of Chevy Spark would be circa 70% higher with a 120 V.

I think it has something to do with the resistance of electricity (ohms) that becomes bigger as the voltage is higher...

McHale said:
jake said:

It wouldn't double per se but it would be close. I would say that the recharging time of Chevy Spark would be circa 70% higher with a 120 V.

I think it has something to do with the resistance of electricity (ohms) that becomes bigger as the voltage is higher...
Chevy Spark EV site is quoting 20 hours to charge on 120 volts (8 amp defalt setting) and 7 hours at 240 volts (probably at ~15 amps). Not sure what other pilot settings are available on 120 volt cord set. Also noticed the SAE Combo QC option is called "Out-of-home" charging option", and is showing "late availability". The only weakness I see for the Spark EV is lack of a 6.6kW L2 on-board charging option.

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand what 6.6kW L2 on-board charging option is, could anyone you possibly clarify?

Jimmy said:
I'm sorry but I don't quite understand what 6.6kW L2 on-board charging option is, could anyone you possibly clarify?
Charging from standard 120 volt household plugs is called Level 1, or L1. Charging from 240 volt power (like you would use for an electric clothes dryer or cooking range) is called Level 2, or L2.

The on-board charger is what turns electricity into power to charge the car. A more powerful charger will charge the battery faster. The voltage at public charge sites is typically 208 volts, and public charge sites can supply 32 amps, so the power available in watts to the car charger (volts times amps equals watts) is 208 volts at 32 amps or 208 x 32 = 6,656 watts or 6.6 thousand (Kilo) Watts, typically shown as 6.6kW. The on-board charger in the Chevy Spark can only handle ~3.3kW, which is why the battery takes ~7 hours to charge. A 6.6kW charger like in the 2013 Nissan LEAF, Honda Fit EV, Fiat 500e, and Ford Focus Electric would charge the Spark in less than 3 hours.

KeiJidosha said:
Jimmy said:
Charging from standard 120 volt household plugs is called Level 1, or L1. Charging from 240 volt power (like you would use for an electric clothes dryer or cooking range) is called Level 2, or L2.

The on-board charger is what turns electricity into power to charge the car. A more powerful charger will charge the battery faster. The voltage at public charge sites is typically 208 volts, and public charge sites can supply 32 amps, so the power available in watts to the car charger (volts times amps equals watts) is 208 volts at 32 amps or 208 x 32 = 6,656 watts or 6.6 thousand (Kilo) Watts, typically shown as 6.6kW. The on-board charger in the Chevy Spark can only handle ~3.3kW, which is why the battery takes ~7 hours to charge. A 6.6kW charger like in the 2013 Nissan LEAF, Honda Fit EV, Fiat 500e, and Ford Focus Electric would charge the Spark in less than 3 hours.

thanks for the explanation.

Back