Chevrolet Spark EV hits 60mph in 8 seconds

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake

I found this short review of Chevy Spark EV and wondered what the members of Spark EV forum thought about it so I am sharing it.

With a name like Spark, you'd expect the smallest Chevrolet model would have debuted with an electrified powertrain. At the 2012 Los Angeles International Auto Show, the little hatchback finally lives up to its namesake, joining the Chevrolet Volt as the second vehicle in automaker's current lineup that's powered by electrons.

This is really impressive even for Chevy Spark EV. Can you tell me if I can find its range somewhere in Spark EV forum?

chevyfan said:
This is really impressive even for Chevy Spark EV. Can you tell me if I can find its range somewhere in Spark EV forum?
The official statement on the range of Chevy Spark EV has not been disclosed yet. But is it roughly estimated to be 60 miles. I think there will be more information on Spark EV forum once official news is out.

zackreynolds said:
0-60 mph in 8 seconds is pretty good for the Chevy Spark EV.

That is actuall great especially if you consider that if it were faster the amount of torque at the beginning would be just to much for me to handle. It's just something I'm not used in these EVs.

I knew this feature will have everyone's jaw dropped. I mean 60 mph in 8 seconds is incredible considering the Chevy Spark EV is not a sports car!

jake said:
I knew this feature will have everyone's jaw dropped. I mean 60 mph in 8 seconds is incredible considering the Chevy Spark EV is not a sports car!

Yup the EVs are really something when it comes to torque and Chevy really accentuated that in the Spark

KeiJidosha said:
GM's general director for Electric Drives and Electrification Systems Engineering explains why Spark EV design team opted for 400+ foot pound torque motor;

GM Exec Says Spark EV’s 400lb-ft of Torque No Misprint

Because of 3.18:1 gearing, the motor maintains peak torque until 2,000 rpm (~41 mph), keeping 0-60 time below 8 seconds and reducing friction losses for higher efficiency.

Drive System Animation

Thanks for posting the animation, not only is it extremely interesting but also very educational. I love the brakdown of how the vehicle works to the smallest gear and the comparisons to urbital movement of the sun is also very thought provoking...

kudos for Chevrolet making this great video

McHale said:
KeiJidosha said:
GM's general director for Electric Drives and Electrification Systems Engineering explains why Spark EV design team opted for 400+ foot pound torque motor;

Because of 3.18:1 gearing, the motor maintains peak torque until 2,000 rpm (~41 mph), keeping 0-60 time below 8 seconds and reducing friction losses for higher efficiency.

Drive System Animation

Thanks for posting the animation, not only is it extremely interesting but also very educational. I love the brakdown of how the vehicle works to the smallest gear and the comparisons to urbital movement of the sun is also very thought provoking...

I actually didn't understand what they were trying to convey by comparing the sun orbit to the gears in a Chevy Spark, but this could be my own lack of general understanding also...

Jimmy said:
McHale said:
KeiJidosha said:

Drive System Animation

I actually didn't understand what they were trying to convey by comparing the sun orbit to the gears in a Chevy Spark, but this could be my own lack of general understanding also...

I don't know, I mean the animation is pretty straightforward and simple. Maybe you should re-watch it and pay closer attention, I can sometimes lose track of the most simplest ideas because of my short attention span so I'm sure that it can happen to somebody watching this animation.

If you have any questions feel free to ask...

Back