Chevy Spark 2014 Tire Rotation

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nozferatu said:
FYI...I just had my tires rotated as specified..side to side. 7700 miles on the clock...now the car pulls quite heavily to the left.

Sounds extremely questionable. I'd suggest switching them back to see if it goes away or if something else happened (like bent suspension, etc.).

Bryce

Nashco said:
nozferatu said:
FYI...I just had my tires rotated as specified..side to side. 7700 miles on the clock...now the car pulls quite heavily to the left.

Sounds extremely questionable. I'd suggest switching them back to see if it goes away or if something else happened (like bent suspension, etc.).

Bryce

Nothing happened as far as I can tell...I just took it in, they switched the tires, didn't even drive it...and gave it back. I was there the whole time.

It's a lease so I really don't care enough to put the effort into putting the tires back on as they originally were. Just interesting that it happened.

nozferatu said:
Nothing happened as far as I can tell...I just took it in, they switched the tires, didn't even drive it...and gave it back. I was there the whole time.

It's a lease so I really don't care enough to put the effort into putting the tires back on as they originally were. Just interesting that it happened.

If it pulls, the tires will wear significantly faster, which means you'll be buying tires that much sooner for the car you don't own. Since it's a lease, the car is under warranty and the dealer did the rotation so they'll stand behind their work and the parts on the car. A significant pull when the tire is rotated in one direction but not the other (with no changes otherwise) would be alarming and indicates a rare tire manufacture quality issue (thus, under warranty, as it's not due to normal wear). It should only take the dealer about an hour to rotate the tires side to side and test drive it to determine what's going on. They could even put it on the alignment rack and check the alignment in about ten extra minutes.

Even using a lift inappropriately to lift the car for service could cause a steering alignment issue, so don't think just because the car wasn't driven that nothing is wrong with the car. As I said, purely rotating the tires side to side causing a hard pull sounds extremely questionable.

Bryce

Nashco said:
nozferatu said:

If it pulls, the tires will wear significantly faster, which means you'll be buying tires that much sooner for the car you don't own. Since it's a lease, the car is under warranty and the dealer did the rotation so they'll stand behind their work and the parts on the car. A significant pull when the tire is rotated in one direction but not the other (with no changes otherwise) would be alarming and indicates a rare tire manufacture quality issue (thus, under warranty, as it's not due to normal wear). It should only take the dealer about an hour to rotate the tires side to side and test drive it to determine what's going on. They could even put it on the alignment rack and check the alignment in about ten extra minutes.

Even using a lift inappropriately to lift the car for service could cause a steering alignment issue, so don't think just because the car wasn't driven that nothing is wrong with the car. As I said, purely rotating the tires side to side causing a hard pull sounds extremely questionable.

Bryce

Hey Bryce,

I'll take it back soon...just haven't had the time. Let's just say when I let go of the steering wheel the car definitely pulls left...perhaps not as drastically as I originally suggested but enough to where I need to correct it and hold it straight. If I hold the steering centered, the car does pull to one side...so the steering is off-center.

It's a time issue..it took them 2 hours to rotate my tires even with an appointment...I just don't have the time...it's ridiculous how poorly managed these dealers are.

romorris2342 said:
I learned a couple of things regarding rotation. 1) The front and back stock tires are different widths and 2) the tires are unidirectional. This means you cannot go either front to back because of #1 or left to right because of #2. Each tire is assigned to stay on the car in a specific position only. Chevy and their dealers (once they figure it out themselves) will tell you this is by design. I called my "spark advisor" who works for chevy. The suspicious might say it is by design that they are willing to live with your tires wearing out quickly. They will say these tires are designed to wear evenly without rotation. Well, if that last sentence is true why isn't everybody making tire rotations a thing of the past ?

I see no indication on the tires themselves that they are unidirectional (like "this side out" or an arrow indicating direction of travel) but the spark advisor says they are in fact unidirectional tires. Maybe I'm missing the indication on the tires somehow, I'll look again.

The owner's manual states that the tires need rotating at 7,500 miles and I am getting near that. I don't see on my tires where they are indicated as unidirectional. Are you sure that they are?

Jeeman0 said:
The owner's manual states that the tires need rotating at 7,500 miles and I am getting near that. I don't see on my tires where they are indicated as unidirectional. Are you sure that they are?

The tires are NOT unidirectional!!! He spoke incorrectly.

Bryce

At 7500 miles, I got my first service at the dealer. I told the service writer that this vehicle is unique and has different off set rims on the front/rear. I guess he didn't hear me or make a note to the tech cuz they did a traditional rotation and damaged both of my rear rims when they scraped against the front brake calipers. My new rims should be delivered to the dealership soon. This is the second time I have taken my EV to a dealer for work (two different dealers) and they don't seem to know what they are doing on this car (as both recommended an oil change).

nmikmik said:
1. Tires are consumable. - true and does not mean they should not have a treadware warranty.
2. GM has no tire wear warranty provision. - true but why?

By accepting the fact that tires are consumables and have no ware-out warranty we perpetuate the problem. So what is next? Manufacturer can put even crappier tires and still get away with it?
In my opinion the problem is that we, as consumers, have absolutely no control over it. Are we going to stop buying cars that have crappy OEM tires, most likely not and manufacturer know it and keeps doing what he does.
Lack of treadwear warranty on OEM tires supplied on new cars isn't specific to GM. It seems to be pretty much industry standard practice. I agree, it sucks.

Right, we have no control over it. Why? It's likely a provision of the contract and what partly enables the tire makers to supply tires to OEMs for cheap.

Back