Co-worker Ratting on EV charging

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sparkler,

I think the worst part is over. Now my skin is dry and itching but not red or swollen anymore. The new charge location and 2 mile walk is working for now. thinking of getting a folding Ebike like the VELO mini
images

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn38pLtYuL0
Sparkler said:
stevon said:
Have a place to charge for free 1.9 miles away from my house if I walk on pavement. Took a short cut through some brush on Wednesday. I found out that we do have poison oak here, boy did I find out! :eek: Taking prescribed steroids and using Aveeno Anti-Itch lotion, where did I put my wire brushes? Even free electricity has some costs!

Painful! Wire brushes won't help poison oak...

I used to be very allergic to that stuff, I would get a rash just by driving through the woods when it was active. If I could smell it, I would itch. It's been years since I was told the secret to getting some immunity from it by an old hippie at an outdoor concert. She said to find a plant in winter when it was not too active and eat just one of it's tiniest leaves. I was desperate and tried that, and it has not bothered me since! I'm sure actual contact would still be painful, but the long distance rashes have gone away.

stevon said:
I will find a way to get charged without pushing my home electricity base rate to $0.37 or even $0.48 per kwh!

It sounds like you are in SDG&E territory. Have you looked into the EV-TOU2 rate plan? Overnight charging at 0.17 / kWh, and no more than 0.21 / kWh at all times except noon to 6 pm in the summer.

I talked to SDG&E and they said I could install a separate meter and charge after 12pm for best savings. Told them I don't own my apartment so they recommended just charging after 12 PM because the "smart" meter installed keeps track of the time. I asked about pushing the threshold and bumping me into tier 3. They said that could happen anyways. For me free electricity and breaking even in 5.95 years based on gas money I would be spending saved, is the whole point of this exercise. This way when it is time to sell or trade the car, the loss in money paid will more or less be a write off as transportation costs.

I will find a way to get charged without pushing my home electricity base rate to $0.37 or even $0.48 per kwh!

It sounds like you are in SDG&E territory. Have you looked into the EV-TOU2 rate plan? Overnight charging at 0.17 / kWh, and no more than 0.21 / kWh at all times except noon to 6 pm in the summer.[/quote]

sensij,
You need to install a separate meter for EV-TOU2 rate.
http://www.sdge.com/clean-energy/ev-rates
sensij said:
stevon said:

It sounds like you are in SDG&E territory. Have you looked into the EV-TOU2 rate plan? Overnight charging at 0.17 / kWh, and no more than 0.21 / kWh at all times except noon to 6 pm in the summer.

Sparkler said:
stevon said:
Have a place to charge for free 1.9 miles away from my house if I walk on pavement. Took a short cut through some brush on Wednesday. I found out that we do have poison oak here, boy did I find out! :eek: Taking prescribed steroids and using Aveeno Anti-Itch lotion, where did I put my wire brushes? Even free electricity has some costs!

I used to be very allergic to that stuff, I would get a rash just by driving through the woods when it was active. If I could smell it, I would itch. It's been years since I was told the secret to getting some immunity from it by an old hippie at an outdoor concert. She said to find a plant in winter when it was not too active and eat just one of it's tiniest leaves. I was desperate and tried that, and it has not bothered me since! I'm sure actual contact would still be painful, but the long distance rashes have gone away.

I've been extremely allergic to that stuff too. Suffered horribly thru Christmas 2013 (thumb-sized blisters all over arm and legs) and in fact was hospitalized and admitted Christmas night after gritting teeth thru Christmas Eve and morning for the sake of the kids, and the day for the rest of the family. Still no idea how I got it then.

No way could I make myself eat one yikes. My wife's aunt once foolishly burned some, inhaled the smoke, and got it throughout her respiratory system. Must have been living hell.

Carney,
Thanks for the empathy. It's a good thing my new girlfriend is a nurse and understands. The face exposure definitely was the worst part!
I've been extremely allergic to that stuff too. Suffered horribly thru Christmas 2013 (thumb-sized blisters all over arm and legs) and in fact was hospitalized and admitted Christmas night after gritting teeth thru Christmas Eve and morning for the sake of the kids, and the day for the rest of the family. Still no idea how I got it then.

No way could I make myself eat one yikes. My wife's aunt once foolishly burned some, inhaled the smoke, and got it throughout her respiratory system. Must have been living hell.

stevon said:
sensij,
You need to install a separate meter for EV-TOU2 rate.
http://www.sdge.com/clean-energy/ev-rates
From the website you referenced
The EV-TOU-2 rate uses your existing household smart meter to track home and EV electricity use.
The EV-TOU rate requires a separate meter for your EV.
EV-TOU-2 exists so you don't need to install a separate meter and can likely be switched over at the start of your next billing cycle, should you request it.

Steveon,
This would be a good time to develop and eye for the stuff.
I can spot poison ivy from a safe distance and I even know what the stems sort of look like in the winter. They'll still dangerous when dormant.
Plus no one would blame you for waging chemical warfare on the stuff. You could establish a safe hiking path if you think you could use it.

Do it for the other unsuspecting hikers !!

Good luck and be careful...

Norton,
Thanks for the idea. There was no trail, I was foolishly trying to make my own and paid the price. With an electric bike also changes at work and where I'm going to be living coming up will have to adapt to the current situation at hand when it changes. Just a few residual itches now, life goes on......
NORTON said:
Steveon,
This would be a good time to develop and eye for the stuff.
I can spot poison ivy from a safe distance and I even know what the stems sort of look like in the winter. They'll still dangerous when dormant.
Plus no one would blame you for waging chemical warfare on the stuff. You could establish a safe hiking path if you think you could use it.

Do it for the other unsuspecting hikers !!

Good luck and be careful...

Carney said:

BTDT. Got downwind of a burn pile when about 10... About 5 weeks of agony for my brother and me. My Grandfather could cut and burn it with impunity, he was plenty surprised that we got it so bad. The earlier comment about itching if I could smell it is true, my lungs were very sensitive after the smoke inhalation incident.

The trick to getting your immune system fired up is real. Dead of winter, first leaf on the plant, no more than a dime-sized leaf. Don't chew... Now I'm closer to the way my grandpa was, it no longer bothers me, as long as I stay a few feet away from it.

Sparkler
Dead of winter, in San Diego? it will be snowing in Hades first! We do not have winter here, that's why I moved from NJ 13 years ago! Year round opportunity for poison whatever is out there. Will just have to be more careful and aware of my surroundings, plus less going on adventurer trail blazing outings!
P1120016.JPG

poison_oak_220x146.jpg

Stephen
Sparkler said:
Carney said:

BTDT. Got downwind of a burn pile when about 10... About 5 weeks of agony for my brother and me. My Grandfather could cut and burn it with impunity, he was plenty surprised that we got it so bad. The earlier comment about itching if I could smell it is true, my lungs were very sensitive after the smoke inhalation incident.

The trick to getting your immune system fired up is real. Dead of winter, first leaf on the plant, no more than a dime-sized leaf. Don't chew... Now I'm closer to the way my grandpa was, it no longer bothers me, as long as I stay a few feet away from it.

Check out my electric bike choice! http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4242
stevon said:
Sparkler,

I think the worst part is over. Now my skin is dry and itching but not red or swollen anymore. The new charge location and 2 mile walk is working for now. thinking of getting a folding Ebike like the VELO mini
images

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn38pLtYuL0
Sparkler said:
stevon said:

My car got damaged at the hotel last night. The oblivious hotel patron clowns made me park 5 spots away, stretching the power cord. When one of the turds pulled out they caught the cable and broke my CCS connector! With a $500 deductible I'm pissed and out of pocket!
2015-Spark-Damage-sm.jpg

2015-Spark-Damage-1-sm.jpg

2015-Spark-Damage-2-sm1.jpg

At least there was no body damage, this wouldn't have happened if those people did not park in a EV charge spot to begin with. No point in complaining to hotel, they would ask "what room are you in?" and say "so you are trespassing too"

Man,,,,

Another sad saga in the life of a Spark EV owner....

First bad Poison Oak and now this $500 bill....

Which would you rather get?

Do bad things come in 3's?

Can you still charge? Or is the car down until repaired?

Norton,
Had a scare when I tried to charge at the hotel yesterday afternoon, when plugged in the dash light did not go yellow or green, just stayed off. Car indicated charge would be done at 8:30 pm. When I came to pick it up later dash display said "charger problem detected" and there was no charge. Maybe they damaged the hotel's EVSE unit too! Re plugged it in and no dash light again, blue charging light on hotel's EVSE showed as charging, but no juice to the car! Plugged in the hotel's second EVSE and this time my dash light turned yellow then green before I left it. Picked up the car early this morning and it was fully charged thank god! I'm not stuck!
When you leave your car at the mall or a hotel it's vulnerable, like parking your car in the street. You risk damage like someone breaking your glass just for some change in the ashtray, modern life I guess.....
Looks like I'm the victim of common wisdom or lack there of "never attribute to malice what can be explained by ignorance" Hanlon's razor "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
Stephen
NORTON said:
Man,,,,

NORTON,
Found a body shop that will work with the deductible. When I first looked up the charge port receptacle, none were listed for the 2015 model online. 2014 model part was $1050 list. The dealer estimate on the repair showed only $347.75 list for the 2015 part? I ordered it on online for $205 + $28 shipping to San Diego. Picture shows that the cable connection is under the hood on the charger/controller, not under or in the back of the car like I was thinking.
Stephen
Spark-Charge-Receptical.png

NORTON said:
Man,,,,

[/quote]

Norton,
Spark EV is like new! I split the cost of the charge port receptacle $208 so I did have to pay a hundred bucks but the car came out perfect! The insurance provided rental car was a monster Dodge Challenger, only 6cyl. What a boat after the Spark, slow with poor acceleration and handling. Parking it was a chore, returned it for a Hyundai Elantra and was relieved! I always liked big cars before... no longer.
NORTON said:
stevon said:
NORTON,
Found a body shop that will work with the deductible...

That's good news!

Now, what about #3?

Norton,

Electric bike battery charger failed just out side of warranty of course. The bike without power is basically useless. It is better to walk than drag this brick of a bike up hill! Charger is out of warranty of course. What can you do, replace charger with same crappy one over and over again? looking into a better 36 volt lithium charger, no luck so far, they all seem to be chinese crap!
Stephen

stevon said:
Norton,
Spark EV is like new! I split the cost of the charge port receptacle $208 so I did have to pay a hundred bucks but the car came out perfect! The insurance provided rental car was a monster Dodge Challenger, only 6cyl. What a boat after the Spark, slow with poor acceleration and handling. Parking it was a chore, returned it for a Hyundai Elantra and was relieved! I always liked big cars before... no longer.
NORTON said:
stevon said:
NORTON,
Found a body shop that will work with the deductible...

That's good news!

Now, what about #3?

stevon,

Look at RC electric chargers. I think there are some that charge various battery pack voltages. I'm not sure if the RC's go up to 36V though. They may be low current but you can live with that.
I'm sure there are many choices for a 36V Li-ion charger, but quality is always going to be the issue with no name chinese junk. Good luck, you'll find something. If your pack has a balancing feature it will be trickier to get a charger to work with that.

I have a Bike Friday and you got me interested in buying a motor-in-wheel front wheel conversion for it. All no name crap.... but hopefully the bike would just be a little heavier if the EV parts die.
I'd have an EV tender for my EV car! Just like you!

Back