Dealer Service

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emv

Our Spark is turning 7500 miles so I went to schedule a service appointment at the dealer. I know it's a joke of a service - rotate the tires, check the wipers, and give the car the once over - but I also know that in the past GM has been very aggressive in denying warranty claims because you couldn't prove some obscure service item was done. Anyway, I've always taken any new car back to the dealer for it's first service just to see if they're a decent place to have any real work done.

So I schedule it on line and the next day I get a call back on my voice mail from the service writer and you could tell from the tone of his voice that he was just thrilled to have an electric coming in. "All that needs to be done is a side to side, you don't have any motor oil" (at least he knows not to rotate front to back) he said. And it would take 45 minutes to do it. (Puleeze, Les Schwab will put four new tires on is less time that that).

I'm still going to take it in this Friday, just so the General has no weasel room on the warranty, and I'll tell him that's why. Have others had such a reception or am I just dealing with a mechanic who doesn't like electrics? Or am I just a fool for taking her in?

Here is the list from the owners manual. I would think putting the car up on a rack and inspecting the undercarriage (#8) would be a good idea. Granted, some of the items are pretty trivial, and you can do yourself.

Tire Rotation and Required Services Every 12 000 km/7,500 mi
Rotate the tires, if recommended for the vehicle, and perform the following services. See Tire Rotation on page 10-40.

1. Check vehicle coolant level.

2. Check windshield washer fluid level. See Washer Fluid on page 10-9.

3. Visually inspect windshield wiper blades for wear, cracking, or contamination. See Exterior
Care on page 10-62. Replace worn or damaged wiper blades. See Wiper Blade Replacement on page 10-15.

4. Check tire inflation pressures. See Tire Pressure on page 10-34.

5. Inspect tire wear. See Tire Inspection on page 10-39.

6. Visually check for fluid leaks.

7. Inspect brake system.

8. Visually inspect steering, suspension, and chassis components for damaged, loose, or missing parts or signs of wear. See Exterior Care on page 10-62.

9. Check restraint system components. See Safety System Check on page 3-16.

10. Lubricate body components. See Exterior Care on page 10-62.

11. Check accelerator pedal for damage, high effort, or binding. Replace if needed.

12. Visually inspect gas strut for signs of wear, cracks, or other damage. Check the hold open ability of the strut. See your dealer if service is required.

13. Check tire sealant expiration date, if equipped. See Tire Sealant and Compressor Kit on page 10-49.

Thanks Steve for the cut and paste from the manual. I knew what needed to be done, I was just worried that none of it would get done and I was getting the bum's rush from the writer. I guess I'm still a bit gun shy when it comes to GM.

I must apologize, I guess I read more in to the voice mail than was there. The dealer's service department (Wilsonville Chev) were pleasant in person and knew what they were doing (and even mentioned the upcoming recall). I'll be back in another 7500 to keep the warranty intact.

Back