Departure Time Charging Not Working

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparkMoore

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I used to have it set up where my car would start charging based on a departure time. Not sure what I did, but now it doesn't work, even though I'm pretty certain I have it set up just like before. What am I doing wrong?

When in the Charging Screen, I go to the Charge Mode menu and select edit. The choices are Immediately, Departure Time, and Departure Time with something. I pick Departure Time and click the left arrow at the top right. Then I set up the departure times by clicking on the Settings icon on the Charging Menu. They are all set up for between 5:30 am and 9:00 am depending on the day. It should be all set. But the section on the Charging screen on the left side of the screen always says that the charging is going to start at whatever time it is currently and finish at 7:45 pm. The finish time doesn't change, whether I do departure time charging, or immediate charging. It even says that the Next Planned Departure is 7:15 am, yet it also says the charging will complete at 7:45 pm. I don't have Priority Charging selected.

Anyway, once I've got the departure time charging set up, I plug in the charger (Level 2) and the car starts charging immediately. It charges until it is full, and stops. Last night I plugged in around 7:30 pm and it was finished around 11:30 pm, despite being set up to charge based on departure time.

I had this working a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure what I did to mess it up. I had to switch it to immediate charging at one point, and was never able to get it back. It looks to me like I've come across some bug in the programming. But maybe its just user error. Any advice?

This has happened to me twice before. Seems like a weird software glitch. The usual fix to take the negative terminal off the battery and then put it back on. It'll "reboot" the car and the glitch usually goes away.

Try switching to rate+departure time, and configure the rates to encourage it to delay charging until closer to your departure time, if that is what you'd prefer.

I thought mine glitched, but eventually realized it went from summer rates (which had been configured) to winter rates (which were not) on 11/1.

I tried the rate departure thing, but the car still charged right away. Interestingly, it also started charging again just before the scheduled departure time. So essentially, its acting like the immediate and departure time charging are both activated. It definitely seems like a software glitch of some sort.

On my 2014 Spark EV 2LT DCFC I experimented with 'Delayed Departure' this weekend and it seems to work fine.
I get the 2 beeps and the flashing green dash light when I plugged in.

btw, this is my first time plugging in at home since I bought the car 6700 miles ago.
It finally got cold enough that I thought the car could use the TMS for the batttery.
I plugged in using 120V with a 'killawatt' to see if I could measure and time TMS usage. I didn't see anything....
So I plugged in L2 'immediate' and charged the car up at home. My home EVSE can be L1 or L2.
This breaks my OCD streak of not spending a dime on powering this car!! :( :roll:
I'm still going to mainly try to plug in a home just for the TMS benefits and charge for free at work and at DCFC's around town. :mrgreen:

Oh, forgot.
You guys having problems should try the 30 second reboot by removing the 12 V battery negative cable.

What have you got to lose?

(Except all your radio presets....) {Just take a picture of each 'preset page' and any config pages you'll need to reset}

@Norton - I'm with you on the charging thing. My car is approaching 15K miles and I would estimate that 14k+ of that has been on free charging. I plug in at home mostly to warm up the car for my drive in the morning, or when the wife objects to me going to a public charger.

Anyway, I'm due for my next scheduled maintenance in the next week or two, so I figure I'll take it in to the dealer and let them troubleshoot it. If someone's going to unplug the negative cable, its going to be them. After all, I'd like to get something out of that two years worth of free maintenance, other than tire rotations.

I'll take your advice though, and take a picture of all the menus so in case they do end up disconnecting it, I can set everything back up.

sensij said:
Try switching to rate+departure time, and configure the rates to encourage it to delay charging until closer to your departure time, if that is what you'd prefer.

I thought mine glitched, but eventually realized it went from summer rates (which had been configured) to winter rates (which were not) on 11/1.

How do I configure the electricity rates?

Back