Does it take time for the brakes/regen system to warm up?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casualsurfer

Here's what I've noticed every single morning: the "L" regen setting and the brakes are very ineffective for the first minute of driving. Going down a slight hill at the start of my commute, the brakes would feel mushy and the L regen would only give me maybe 2-3kW, but once the car "warms up" the L regen easily would generate way more kW back to the battery. The brakes in the morning almost feels like the high temp pads I had on my CRX long ago where I needed to pump the brakes early to get temperature in before it'll seriously bite. It's almost dangerous and now I take it easy driving during the first minute or so, and I'll do brake pumps and L regen to see if I can get the system "warmed up".

Does anyone else encounter this?

Casualsurfer said:
Here's what I've noticed every single morning: the "L" regen setting and the brakes are very ineffective for the first minute of driving. Going down a slight hill at the start of my commute, the brakes would feel mushy and the L regen would only give me maybe 2-3kW, but once the car "warms up" the L regen easily would generate way more kW back to the battery. The brakes in the morning almost feels like the high temp pads I had on my CRX long ago where I needed to pump the brakes early to get temperature in before it'll seriously bite. It's almost dangerous and now I take it easy driving during the first minute or so, and I'll do brake pumps and L regen to see if I can get the system "warmed up".

Does anyone else encounter this?

Is this just after a full charge?

When the battery is full it cannot take any regen input so regen is disabled. I see this sometimes with mine although not always. Once the battery has discharged a bit regen is re-enabled as there is then space in the battery to take the charge.

kevin

for me every time I first turn on the car and leave the brakes are scary, it doesn't matter if the battery is full or half charged. When I back down my(very steep) driveway it sometimes feels like I have lost my brakes I have to mash my foot down hard to slow down. I think in my case its more a matter of not waiting for the brakes to charge up and build hydraulic pressure. I tend to push power and throw it in reverse immediately.

LimeyBastard said:
for me every time I first turn on the car and leave the brakes are scary, it doesn't matter if the battery is full or half charged. When I back down my(very steep) driveway it sometimes feels like I have lost my brakes I have to mash my foot down hard to slow down. I think in my case its more a matter of not waiting for the brakes to charge up and build hydraulic pressure. I tend to push power and throw it in reverse immediately.

We also have a very steep ramp up to our carport, and ever since new the brakes seem barely adequate to maintain control while backing down the ramp.

I assume no regen is happening, and the reason the car feels so ready to roll is because the curb weight is rather high.

I notice the ABS kick in within a second or two, before I begin to backup.

Back