Educating the Police

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty

After getting my HOV permit, I was wondering how much the Maryland police knew about electric cars and their right to use the HOV lanes. Today I found out. It was during the trip home this afternoon. He had a marked car and was stuck in among the great unwashed, and I felt perfectly justified sliding past him doing exactly the speed limit. He lit me up.

I tried to pull over onto the HOV shoulder but he wouldn't have it, and waved me across the four lanes to the opposite side. When he came up to the window he told me that we were being recorded and that I was driving in a High Occupancy Vehicle lane all alone. I said, "This must be your first electric car, huh?"

He said, "License and Registration?"

I handed them to him and said, "There's a permit on the back of my car that lets me use the HOV lane."

He said, "We'll see about THAT!!!" I think he was pissed.

After about 30 seconds of standing behind Lil' Sparky, no doubt getting THE WORD from his dispatcher, he came back around and said, "It looks like you're right, Mr. Dusty. Your permit is good until September 2017. You're free to go."

I said very good naturedly, "Come on. This is your first electric car, isn't it?"

He admitted that it was and I asked him to spread the word among his fellow police officers. He replied, "You have a nice day."

And that was it, except getting back into traffic from a stand-still wasn't going to be easy. Everyone was packed in pretty tight and moving about 50mph. Then came a little opening and Lil' Sparky just sort of squirted into it, further educating Mr. Policeman about the acceleration capability of electric cars. Usually I depart such encounters feeling stupid and ashamed. Not this time! :D

Dusty

I would have smacked you with my baton... smack smack smack.. This must be your first beating eh Dusty? Smack smack smack... :)

I find it strange since we have Prius and Teslas clogging the Carpool lane for years..
but this is Sunny Cali, not rainy cold MD !! :D

KingUltra said:
I find it strange since we have Prius and Teslas clogging the Carpool lane for years..
but this is Sunny Cali, not rainy cold MD !! :D

No Plug-in Prius, and until recently, no Teslas either unless they were bought in DC. Until last weekend's National Drive Electric Week rally in Annapolis, I'd never seen one other car sporting an HOV permit other than mine. Given there are at least 20 police agencies patrolling the local roads, I suspect yesterday's occurrence won't be the last. And that's just the marked cars.

What is it that cops and judges are prone to say? "Ignorance of the law is no excuse!"

Yeah, right... :roll:

peterdaniel said:
I would have smacked you with my baton... smack smack smack.. This must be your first beating eh Dusty? Smack smack smack... :)

peterdaniel, my chest hurts from laughing so hard. Thank you!

David

Haha I almost had a similar situation. Some of our onramps have HOV only onramps that allow you to not have to wait for the meter light. So I went up the HOV onramp and notice a CHP SUV parked on the shoulder checking to make sure that people aren't misusing it (which is a frequent issue I see). Anyways I drive through and I see the CHP pull out and begin to follow, then I notice they slow down and exit. Probably saw that I was alone and since there's no stickers on the front assumed I was abusing the lane but then saw the stickers on the back and let me carry on my way, returning back to their site. :lol:

Dusty said:
After getting my HOV permit, I was wondering how much the Maryland police knew about electric cars and their right to use the HOV lanes. Today I found out. It was during the trip home this afternoon. He had a marked car and was stuck in among the great unwashed, and I felt perfectly justified sliding past him doing exactly the speed limit. He lit me up.

I tried to pull over onto the HOV shoulder but he wouldn't have it, and waved me across the four lanes to the opposite side. When he came up to the window he told me that we were being recorded and that I was driving in a High Occupancy Vehicle lane all alone. I said, "This must be your first electric car, huh?"

He said, "License and Registration?"

I handed them to him and said, "There's a permit on the back of my car that lets me use the HOV lane."

He said, "We'll see about THAT!!!" I think he was pissed.

After about 30 seconds of standing behind Lil' Sparky, no doubt getting THE WORD from his dispatcher, he came back around and said, "It looks like you're right, Mr. Dusty. Your permit is good until September 2017. You're free to go."

I said very good naturedly, "Come on. This is your first electric car, isn't it?"

He admitted that it was and I asked him to spread the word among his fellow police officers. He replied, "You have a nice day."

And that was it, except getting back into traffic from a stand-still wasn't going to be easy. Everyone was packed in pretty tight and moving about 50mph. Then came a little opening and Lil' Sparky just sort of squirted into it, further educating Mr. Policeman about the acceleration capability of electric cars. Usually I depart such encounters feeling stupid and ashamed. Not this time! :D

Dusty

He sounded like a butthurt idiot.

nozferatu said:
He sounded like a butthurt idiot.
Yeah, why are they always in a bad mood?
I hate to start this on an awesome car forum but,,,,
I read an article saying combat veterans should not be allowed to become police officers. They have had nothing but training telling them, "That's the enemy out there. Watch out...".

Chaconzies said:
Haha I almost had a similar situation. Some of our onramps have HOV only onramps that allow you to not have to wait for the meter light. So I went up the HOV onramp and notice a CHP SUV parked on the shoulder checking to make sure that people aren't misusing it (which is a frequent issue I see). Anyways I drive through and I see the CHP pull out and begin to follow, then I notice they slow down and exit. Probably saw that I was alone and since there's no stickers on the front assumed I was abusing the lane but then saw the stickers on the back and let me carry on my way, returning back to their site. :lol:

I never thought about those onramps HOV lanes that do not have to wait the signal light...
Is there any reference from the DMV that we are allowed on those too?

KingUltra said:
I never thought about those onramps HOV lanes that do not have to wait the signal light...
Is there any reference from the DMV that we are allowed on those too?

Yep!

HOV Lanes: Use By Ultra-Low Emission Vehicles

21655.9. (a) (1) Whenever the Department of Transportation or a local authority authorizes or permits exclusive or preferential use of highway lanes or highway access ramps for high-occupancy vehicles pursuant to Section 21655.5, the use of those lanes or ramps shall also be extended to vehicles that are issued distinctive decals, labels, or other identifiers pursuant to Section 5205.5 regardless of vehicle occupancy or ownership.

Read more on the DMV's site https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/decal

Back