Evgo network

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SparkE said:
MrDRMorgan said:
The Drive-the-Arc EVgo charger in Pleasanton clearly shows the charging voltage and current. The power being delivered remain steadys until 80% and then starts to taper off. At approximately 90% the charge voltage is still 400 volts but the current has dropped to 50 amps [20 kw].

You probably already know this, but maybe others don't. The charging rate (in kW) at a DCFC is often a curve (or multiple curves, separated by flat lines). When starting at a low SoC, the DCFC is putting out max amps and the voltage is rising. Once max Voltage is reached both max amps and volts are pulled until pulling max amps would cause the battery pack voltage to go past its (the car-determined) max. At that point the VEHICLE starts pulling lower and lower amps (which is why the kW rate drops, as rate is V * A).

The above is for non- temperature-limited charging. If the battery temp is too low or too high, the car will slow the charge rate to below what the theoretical max would be.

My Spark pulls 44-48 kW from around around 30% SoC up until about 80% as well - then the charging steps down, reaching 20-ish kW quickly, by around 90% - providing that the temp is between 55-75F. (I've never really paid too much attention to the low-end of when the car reaches full charging capacity of 44-48 kW.) I once had to add electrons when it was 106F outside : charge rate into battery was 12 kW, with battery cooling system running full blast!! After that, I now drive the ICE on longer trips requiring charging when it is over 90F (both to preserve battery life and to avoid sitting in full sun when temps are over 100F).

My garage seems to stay at about 45 to 60 deg. F during the winter but does hit 90 - 100 deg. F in the summer. However, I really have not paid much atention to the impact air temprature may have on charging as I have no way to determine the battery's temperature. During the summer months I use delayed start charging so the car starts charging at midnight and finishes by 7am.

With respect to the EVgo network costs: I went back through my EVgo billing statements for Oct, Nov and Dec 2017 to determine my actual EVgo cost per kWh. Here are my results:
Sessions: 47
Minutes: 671
kWh used: 396.7
Total Cost: $111.95 [includes On-The-Go subscription fee of $14.95 per month or $$44.85 total for 3 months]
Cost / kWh: $0.2822
Cost per mile @ 4.5 mi / kWh: $0.0627
Cost per mile @ 5.0 mi / kWh: $0.0564
Cost per mile @ 5.5 mi / kWh: $0.0513

Note: This is the total for my 2015 and 2016 Spark EVs combined. Both have DCFC capability.

$0.2822 / kWh is actually pretty darn good. Especially since you are using the electrons to get where you are going and really don't have a choice! ('Road' electricity is just generally more expensive than 'home' electricity, IMO.)

I dislike EVgo for many reasons (don't need to being them up) but being a practical man, I have always said that if you HAVE to have electrons, well, you have to have them. Also, I've said many times that IF one is going to use EVgo fast charging twice a month (on average) you really should pay for the most expensive subscription as it will save you money than just paying as a non-subscriber. (Well, I said that back when it was $15/mo and 10c/min - now the calculation changes, as they didn't up the "you aren't a subscriber" rates - maybe the break-even point is between 3 and 4 times/mo now.) If one is going to use EVgo more than once a week, it can be close to the price of charging at home (the $15/mo sub is quickly diluted by the kWh consumption). For an apartment dweller with nearby charging, EVgo DCFCs can be the way to go.

3 15 kWh (20 min) charges a week is 45 kWh (240 min) a week is 180 kWh a month.
240 min a month ($24) + sub fee ($15) = $39
39.00/180 = 21.6 cents/kWh

If you charge SIX times a week (twice the minutes) : 48+15=63. 63/360=17.5c/kWh

Compare that to the 'non-subscription, credit card' cost : $15 for 30 min. Two 30 minute charges is $30.

SparkE said:
$0.2822 / kWh is actually pretty darn good. Especially since you are using the electrons to get where you are going and really don't have a choice! ('Road' electricity is just generally more expensive than 'home' electricity, IMO.)

I dislike EVgo for many reasons (don't need to being them up) but being a practical man, I have always said that if you HAVE to have electrons, well, you have to have them. Also, I've said many times that IF one is going to use EVgo fast charging twice a month (on average) you really should pay for the most expensive subscription as it will save you money than just paying as a non-subscriber. (Well, I said that back when it was $15/mo and 10c/min - now the calculation changes, as they didn't up the "you aren't a subscriber" rates - maybe the break-even point is between 3 and 4 times/mo now.) If one is going to use EVgo more than once a week, it can be close to the price of charging at home (the $15/mo sub is quickly diluted by the kWh consumption). For an apartment dweller with nearby charging, EVgo DCFCs can be the way to go.

3 15 kWh (20 min) charges a week is 45 kWh (240 min) a week is 180 kWh a month.
240 min a month ($24) + sub fee ($15) = $39
39.00/180 = 21.6 cents/kWh

If you charge SIX times a week (twice the minutes) : 48+15=63. 63/360=17.5c/kWh

Compare that to the 'non-subscription, credit card' cost : $15 for 30 min. Two 30 minute charges is $30.

My cost per mile calculations are based on the "old" EVgo subscription plan which I have and which extends into 2020. I get the following if If I use the current "new"subscription costs:

Total Cost: $194.05 [includes On-The-Go subscription fee of $19.95 per month or $59.85 total for 3 months]
Cost / kWh: $0.4892
Cost per mile @ 4.5 mi / kWh: $0.1087
Cost per mile @ 5.0 mi / kWh: $0.0978
Cost per mile @ 5.5 mi / kWh: $0.0890

For comparison:
The lowest gasoline price locally is $2.89 at a nearby ARCO station. My 2002 Honda averages about 23 mpg. My 1999 Chevy pickup truck averages about 14 mpg. Gasoline cost per mile would be:
2002 Honda Accord: $0.1265 per mile
1999 pickup Truck: $0.2064 per mile.

I have been quite happy with EVgo but I only use EVgo DCFC stations when my destinations are outside of a comfortable round-trip range for my Spark EV. Otherwise, I charge at home with both L1 and L2 EVSEs in my garage. My cost per kWh at home is $0.20 for tier 1 consumption and $0.28 for tier 2 consumption. My wife volunteers at a Kaiser hospital in Modesto, CA and, on occasion, stops at the EVgo station in Salida to add some kWhs to the Spark EV she drives.

Breaking News!! EVgo has just announced rate changes (which are GOOD for the "not heavy DCFC usage" driver - a nice change from them). I believe that you have to opt in (you will not automatically get switched).

Biggest changes: (a) NO MORE CONNECTION FEES, and (b) monthly sub is lowered to $10, AND the $10 is now basically a "minimum charge fee": it is deducted from your charging totals to determine what you owe for the month. For example, if this month you charge for $12 worth of electricity, the additional you owe at the end of the month is : $12 - $10 = $2 ($10 monthly fee is subtracted from 'usage'). You basically get charged only for what you use, but the monthly min is $10. If you DCFC more than 160-200 mins/month (and have the $0.10/min rate) then you will pay more if you switch.

So, previously (for 'legacy' subscribers signed up in early 2017) :
$15/mo, + (say) 50 min/mo of charging @ $0.10 = $15(fee) + $5(charge) = $21 for the month.

After July 1? :
$10/mo + (say) 50 min/mo of charging @ $0.20 = $10 total. It is even cheaper Mar-Jun (the per-minute rate).

The break-even point (for 'legacy' subscribers) appears to be around 150-160 minutes of fast charging a month (where it would cost the same on either plan). It is loads cheaper for any new subscribers (last month is was $20/mo + $0.20/min).

I got an email :

The new Membership plan is only $9.99 / month:

- Monthly fee becomes a CREDIT and covers your first $9.99 of charging every month
- No session fees
- $0.15 / min DC fast rate - now through June 30th, 2018*
- 45-minute charging sessions initiated between 6:00am and 7:59pm
- 60-minute charging sessions initiated between 8:00pm and 5:59am

We also have a new Pay As You Go rate for less frequent charging:
-Only $0.20 / min DC fast rate - now through June 30th, 2018*
- No session fees or monthly fee
- 45-minute charging sessions

If you'd prefer to keep your current Flex plan, no action is needed. Further questions? Please check out our FAQ.

* The $0.15/min Membership rate and the $0.20/min Pay As You Go rate is a limited time promotion in California. As of July 1st, Membership rates in California will be between $0.18-0.21/min, and Pay As You Go rates will be between $0.25-$0.35/min, with actual rates depending on region where charger is located

It turns out that the new "Flex plan" (in Calif) will cost $10 for 50 mins of charging until July. The membership plan will cost $10 up to the first 66 mins of charging. So, do you usually DCFC less than 50 mins/mo? Then go with Flex. More than 50? Go with the membership plan.

Once July rolls around, the membership plan will be the most cost effective if you DCFC for ~40 mins a month (or more).

So, the thing now is : if EVgo DCFCs are convenient for you, you can be an EVgo sub and use about $10 worth of DCFC per month. (At low State Of Charge, at a charging rate of 40-45 kW, that's about $0.25/kWh). You can use other DCFCs (or L2) when it's cheaper, but your longer range trips are "less stress free", and not THAT much more $$$ than charging at home (unless you have a super-cheap late-night Time Of Use electrical rate, or Solar). The fact that there is no longer a "session fee" (you only get charged for minutes connected) means that you can plug in for 10-15 minutes when convenient; say, a lower state of charge (40%) when shopping and you see an open DCFC, so you plug in for a short while.

IMO, this makes an EVgo sub much, much more attractive to the CASUAL DCFC user (50-120 minutes a month).

SparkE said:
Breaking News!! EVgo has just announced rate changes (which are GOOD for the "not heavy DCFC usage" driver - a nice change from them). I believe that you have to opt in (you will not automatically get switched).

Biggest changes: (a) NO MORE CONNECTION FEES, and (b) monthly sub is lowered to $10, AND the $10 is now basically a "minimum charge fee": it is deducted from your charging totals to determine what you owe for the month. For example, if this month you charge for $12 worth of electricity, the additional you owe at the end of the month is : $12 - $10 = $2 ($10 monthly fee is subtracted from 'usage'). You basically get charged only for what you use, but the monthly min is $10. If you DCFC more than 160-200 mins/month (and have the $0.10/min rate) then you will pay more if you switch.

So, previously (for 'legacy' subscribers signed up in early 2017) :
$15/mo, + (say) 50 min/mo of charging @ $0.10 = $15(fee) + $5(charge) = $21 for the month.

After July 1? :
$10/mo + (say) 50 min/mo of charging @ $0.20 = $10 total. It is even cheaper Mar-Jun (the per-minute rate).

The break-even point (for 'legacy' subscribers) appears to be around 150-160 minutes of fast charging a month (where it would cost the same on either plan). It is loads cheaper for any new subscribers (last month is was $20/mo + $0.20/min).

I got an email :

The new Membership plan is only $9.99 / month:

- Monthly fee becomes a CREDIT and covers your first $9.99 of charging every month
- No session fees
- $0.15 / min DC fast rate - now through June 30th, 2018*
- 45-minute charging sessions initiated between 6:00am and 7:59pm
- 60-minute charging sessions initiated between 8:00pm and 5:59am

We also have a new Pay As You Go rate for less frequent charging:
-Only $0.20 / min DC fast rate - now through June 30th, 2018*
- No session fees or monthly fee
- 45-minute charging sessions

If you'd prefer to keep your current Flex plan, no action is needed. Further questions? Please check out our FAQ.

* The $0.15/min Membership rate and the $0.20/min Pay As You Go rate is a limited time promotion in California. As of July 1st, Membership rates in California will be between $0.18-0.21/min, and Pay As You Go rates will be between $0.25-$0.35/min, with actual rates depending on region where charger is located

It turns out that the new "Flex plan" (in Calif) will cost $10 for 50 mins of charging until July. The membership plan will cost $10 up to the first 66 mins of charging. So, do you usually DCFC less than 50 mins/mo? Then go with Flex. More than 50? Go with the membership plan.

Once July rolls around, the membership plan will be the most cost effective if you DCFC for ~40 mins a month (or more).

So, the thing now is : if EVgo DCFCs are convenient for you, you can be an EVgo sub and use about $10 worth of DCFC per month. (At low State Of Charge, at a charging rate of 40-45 kW, that's about $0.25/kWh). You can use other DCFCs (or L2) when it's cheaper, but your longer range trips are "less stress free", and not THAT much more $$$ than charging at home (unless you have a super-cheap late-night Time Of Use electrical rate, or Solar). The fact that there is no longer a "session fee" (you only get charged for minutes connected) means that you can plug in for 10-15 minutes when convenient; say, a lower state of charge (40%) when shopping and you see an open DCFC, so you plug in for a short while.

IMO, this makes an EVgo sub much, much more attractive to the CASUAL DCFC user (50-120 minutes a month).

I saw this too and immediately switched my On-the-Go plan to the new Membership plan. However, my "Current Statement" on EVgo shows I have been billed for the monthly fee for both my monthly $14.95 On-the-Go plan and the $9.95 monthly fee for the new Membership plan. I will work this out with EVgo and see if they can just give me a credit for the $14.95.

Yeah - you have to SWITCH your plan. They are too stupid to figure out that since you already have a plan that you want to replace the old one with the new one.

Or, they *immediately* started your new plan, before the old one expired, charging you twice. Just ask for a $14.95 credit.

Good luck (you will probably need a lot of luck)

Back