First Service - Anything to watch out for?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernSpark

So in just over a week, I will be taking the Spark in for it's first service, 4G upgrade, and probably recall fix as well (hood latch). It's just crossed 12,000 km and so this is it's first scheduled service. I would anticipate that in terms of actual service, it should really just be a tire rotation and several visual inspections (I LOL'd when the service advisor I spoke to on the phone said it should just be the oil change and tire rotation). Any 'gotchas' or things I should look out for/pay special attention to? I am looking forward to the supposed lower maintenance requirements of this car, so I will be very interested to see what kind of unnecessary work they might recommend.

NorthernSpark said:
So in just over a week, I will be taking the Spark in for it's first service, 4G upgrade, and probably recall fix as well (hood latch). It's just crossed 12,000 km and so this is it's first scheduled service. I would anticipate that in terms of actual service, it should really just be a tire rotation and several visual inspections (I LOL'd when the service advisor I spoke to on the phone said it should just be the oil change and tire rotation). Any 'gotchas' or things I should look out for/pay special attention to? I am looking forward to the supposed lower maintenance requirements of this car, so I will be very interested to see what kind of unnecessary work they might recommend.
At 7500 miles, only the tire rotation is scheduled to be done and possibly a general inspection. Be sure to ask the service advisor to look up all recalls / service campaigns/ service bulletins, etc. for your vehicle. Make sure if they rotate your tires that they also recalibrate the tire pressure monitor software to match the tire location change. All they can do is switch the tires from side to side - not front to back - due to the different tire sizes on the front and back wheels. If you plan to drive the car in LOW for max regen, have them also update the brake light software so the brake light comes on as soon as you take your foot off of the accelerator. My 2014 and 2015 Spark EVs both had to be updated. There use to be approximately 1.5 seconds from the time I took my foot off of the accelerator until the brake light came on. Now it is immediate.

I believe all that is scheduled at 7500 miles is the tire rotation and checking to see that the washer fluid is topped up.

No wonder the dealers don't want to sell these things :lol:

NorthernSpark said:
... taking the Spark in for it's first service, 4G upgrade, .....
I'm interested in hearing how it goes for you!
What do you get with the phone's 4G upgrade?
The Brake light upgrade the Dr spoke of would be nice too.
I'll skip the engine oil change..... :roll:

Please let us know your results.

Thanks for the advice, yeah I was going to remind them about it only being a side to side tire rotation. As I am still on the stock tires, I was planning to ride them out for the next 5-6 months or so and then perhaps upgrade to better tires/195s all around like some here have done. From that point, would it then be a regular front to back rotation?

As for the 4G upgrade, I am not sure how it works in the US, but here in Canada, OnStar has been operating on the now-ancient (and decommissioned - that is the problem!) 2G network. Of course, the 2015+ vehicles generally come with 4G onboard, but the older ones do not. So over the last couple of years, GM has been transitioning customers to the 4G network via a free upgrade, so that they can continue their OnStar service. I actually got the letter offering the upgrade last summer or so, but I just put it off.

I actually have the premium OnStar package including navigation that was already included (prepaid) with the car when I bought it, but I never really use it (it is still valid for another year). After that, I can choose to continue with the same package (paid), downgrade to a lower package (paid), or just go with the basic service, which is really just app functionality and is provided by GM for about 5 years without charge. This is really what use day-to-day, but I have noticed that it does take a while for the app to refresh with data, most likely due to the slow 2G network. So the bottom line of this upgrade to me is just that I will hopefully see a faster refresh of data in the app, that's about it.

NorthernSpark said:
.... From that point, would it then be a regular front to back rotation?...
Absolutely not. Scan the link in greenspark's post above.
I'm surprised nothing got damaged from the local yahoo service techs tightening down the rear wheels on the front hub and making contact with the front brake caliper.
I saw one post where a picture showed scratches to the inside of the rear wheel.

NORTON said:
NorthernSpark said:
I'm surprised nothing got damaged from the local yahoo service techs tightening down the rear wheels on the front hub and making contact with the front brake caliper.
I saw one post where a picture showed scratches to the inside of the rear wheel.

Thanks for clarifying that - I am now clear that it's both tires AND wheels that are different sizes between front and back.

I have half a mind to put identifying stickers on the rims so I can tell if it's been done right! :lol:

NorthernSpark said:
NORTON said:
NorthernSpark said:

Thanks for clarifying that - I am now clear that it's both tires AND wheels that are different sizes between front and back.

I have half a mind to put identifying stickers on the rims so I can tell if it's been done right! :lol:

there are stickers on the rims, I believe

NorthernSpark said:
NORTON said:
NorthernSpark said:

The rims actually have an F or R already embossed in the metal.

NorthernSpark said:

if it's done wrong, it will be painfully obvious as soon as the car moves :shock:

Just to update that the service went well, $60 maintenance was it (no unexpected charges), which was really just inspections + tire rotations. 2 recalls (hood latch, brake light software reprogramming) done under warranty as well as 4G upgrade (the OnStar app now refreshes faster).

I did have to point out the fact that there was no oil change needed and the particulars of the tire rotation as this was the first one they had ever seen! :D

SparkevBlogspot said:
You had to pay? Doesn't it come with free maintenance for first 2 years?

As far as I can tell, the terms of the free maintenance is oil/lube/filter for the first 2 years (at least in Canada), none of which this car has/needs. That and this is a 2014, so it's quite possible the 2 years have already elapsed, even though I have only owned it for just under a year.

So , what did the $ 60 cover ? Visual inspection & tire rotation ?

For $ 60 , I would have done that myself in the driveway . But , it is your money . Each to his or her own . :)

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister said:

For $ 60 , I would have done that myself in the driveway . But , it is your money . Each to his or her own . :)

God bless
Wyr

Pretty much, but *shrug* - as always, time vs. money. I was off doing other things for the 3 hours they had the car to do that and the recall/warranty work, and it was just easier to get everything done at once.

NorthernSpark said:
WyrTwister said:

God bless
Wyr

Pretty much, but *shrug* - as always, time vs. money. I was off doing other things for the 3 hours they had the car to do that and the recall/warranty work, and it was just easier to get everything done at once.

I was under the impression that the 2014 Spark EV was not eligible for the 4G upgrade. Did I miss something?

-Bob K.

Back