Home Charging Stations, What Do You Guys Have??

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just installed a Clipper Creek HCS 60 in my garage at home. Boy what a difference between that and the 110 that came with the Spark. No more range anxiety. I can charge from less than 50% in about 3 hours. Could be a little faster but better than the 24 hours it would take the 110 some times. The unit is very well made. Installed easily. I already have enough additional solar capacity to cover the charging cost so I am looking forward to enjoying my Spark even more now.

Our of curiosity, why not go with the Bosch? It appears to be a good one and the $500 discount they are offering (until the end of May) is a healthy incentive to get their product.

I have two Sparks and three of the Bosch chargers. I guess you could call that a full house. About 3 months in and all performing perfectly.
-Corwin

corwin said:
I have two Sparks and three of the Bosch chargers. I guess you could call that a full house. About 3 months in and all performing perfectly.
-Corwin
3 EVSE's for 2 cars? Why?

I have the Siemens, which I like for it's subdued black color, and the better water sealing. It's an outdoor installation, and the better waterproofing means I don't need to worry about accidentally hitting it with the hose when watering the plants near-by.

jay5729 said:
corwin said:
-Corwin
3 EVSE's for 2 cars? Why?

I installed one at my workplace. I also use my Leaf's charger quite a bit. I had it upgraded to 240v support and it is nice to have as a portable as it works on 120v and 240v. I'm thinking of getting an OpenEVSE kit and building that for a 2nd workplace charger. My employees carpool in the 2nd Spark and right we can charge only one car at a time unless I use my portable.
-Corwin

G.E. WattStation (http://www.amazon.com/GE-WattStation-Wall-Mount-Charger/dp/B00B4KR18Y)

gews_zpsdbf9728e.jpg

corwin said:
-Corwin

You might consider building a Hydra, if you're handy with tools. You can buy fully assembled logic boards, so no soldering is required.

Previously, the Hydra required a host charging station, but there is now a standalone EVSE variant - basically a two-head EVSE. It has a RTC and can do ToU charge timing, with day-of-week differentiated scheduling.

Read more at the OpenEVSE wiki page for the Hydra.

Back