How long does 12v battery last?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I jumped into my 2014 Spark EV last week, pressed the start button and all of the lights in the instrument cluster started flashing and... the car would not start. I tried charging the 12 volt battery overnight but it did not help. Then I measured the voltage across the battery posts and saw only 11.4 volts. Bottom line - dead 12 volt battery after 6 years of service. This battery is not easy to find but I was able to get one through Amazon and it took a few days to get to my home. Today I changed out the 12 volt battery and now everything is working fine.

As a precaution I do carry a 12 volt power pack under the driver's seat. The power pack can get the car going if the 12 volt battery gets old and dies. I tried starting the car using the power pack and it started right up - good to know it works.

On Amazon, I found a new AC Delco LN1 battery for my 2014 Spark EV and ordered it. The car is now back in business. The one thing about AGM batteries is when they die it usually is suddenly. My 2016 Spark EV will soon need to have the 12 volt battery changed too.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but thought it was more relevant that starting a new one.

2015 Spark. Replaced the AGM battery ~1 year ago. I purchased a desulfinating charger, but haven't used it yet. I have a few questions for those who have:

1. Do you need to detach it from the leads?
2. If the answer to 1 above is no, do you need to leave the regular car charger off (not attached) for the desulfinating duration?

Thank you!

Back