I like Remote Start

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveC5088

Living in Central Cal, it's hot all summer. I've been using the Remote Start feature to get the Air Conditioning going before I get in the car. It's nice! That way, the vents are blowing cool air before I even open the door.

If you haven't tried it, here's how: on the key fob, press the lock button as you would to lock the car. Then press an hold the remote start button for 3 seconds. If you can see the car, the parking lights go on at 3 seconds. Release the button. I usually then press the unlock button twice, since I am almost to the car.

You still need to actually start the car before you can drive: Foot on brake pedal, press the big blue button.

It's a nice feature, and I like to use it, knowing I am not firing up a gasoline-burner just to cool the interior of the car. Since I never use even half the battery on any given day, I don't mind using a small amount of battery charge.

By the way, in the GM-Volt forum, someone was complaining about their Volt windshield getting a haze on the inside. I always leave my windows down about half an inch when parked in the heat, so the off-gassing plastic in the car doesn't fog the windshield. This will happen with any car, especially when they're nearly new.

You can also use the OnStar Remotelink app on your phone to do this on the Spark and the Volt. With the app, you don't even need to be by the car, you just need to have an internet connection.

The app also has a "Charge Now" button. Has anyone got that to work? Works on my Volt, the Spark results in the message "Could not begin charging. This feature is not supported on your vehicle. (109)". Do I need a software update or something?

Sparkler said:
The app also has a "Charge Now" button. Has anyone got that to work? Works on my Volt, the Spark results in the message "Could not begin charging. This feature is not supported on your vehicle. (109)". Do I need a software update or something?

Where do you see the charge now option? I don't see it anywhere on my app version 1.9.10 (1350)

Chaconzies said:
Where do you see the charge now option? I don't see it anywhere on my app version 1.9.10 (1350)

I have that exact version as well.

On the Dashboard right next to the little plug coming from the green battery icon that shows what voltage you are plugged into. Probably a function of having used it for the Volt before getting the Spark if Sparks don't normally have that button.

So that seems to have answered that question...

Chaconzies said:
Sparkler said:

Mine says it right below the estimated "Full charge" time.
I don't have the app version #, but downloaded mine about mid June. Is it possible that you have your charging option set to Immediate?
I think the reason most of us are getting the error message is because we, most likely have the charging set to the "Delayed - Rate & Departure Time" option under charging.
I just switched via the app to Immediate and is said "Charging", went and checked on the car, yes it is charging. The app says "Charging" and of course the "Charge now" button disappeared.

Sparkler said:

Works fine on mine...

nozferatu said:
Sparkler said:

Works fine on mine...

Curiouser and curiouser. Perhaps there is an update that could fix this.

My car is set to Delayed, Rate and Departure Time. It always starts charging as soon as the low rate window opens. Not at all the way my Volt works, it always starts later, so that it finishes just in time for the departure time.

Has anyone else seen this behavior when charging on 240V? Rate and Departure set, with a big window (10PM-10AM) that should allow the charge to finish easily, yet charging starts right at the beginning of the window, finishing way before the departure time...

I guess I should try plain old Departure Time to see how that goes, but I do like the fact that the Spark is usually done way before the Volt starts charging. (It's set to depart at 9AM, so usually starts around 7AM with the 20 miles it usually does each day.)

Sparkler said:
Curiouser and curiouser. Perhaps there is an update that could fix this.

My car is set to Delayed, Rate and Departure Time. It always starts charging as soon as the low rate window opens. Not at all the way my Volt works, it always starts later, so that it finishes just in time for the departure time.

Has anyone else seen this behavior when charging on 240V? Rate and Departure set, with a big window (10PM-10AM) that should allow the charge to finish easily, yet charging starts right at the beginning of the window, finishing way before the departure time...

I guess I should try plain old Departure Time to see how that goes, but I do like the fact that the Spark is usually done way before the Volt starts charging. (It's set to depart at 9AM, so usually starts around 7AM with the 20 miles it usually does each day.)

Mine is set for Rate-Departure to stat at midnight and for projected departure at 7am. It starts immediately as soon as the window opens and pretty much regardless it's 240V or 110V. I don't know if the "charging logic" is the same as I have, but I would actually prefer it to start asap and finish asap. I guess that if there is an unlikely but possible outage at night or early morning, the car that is charged up before the outage is full of charge and is fine, if the outage time is in the beginning of the charge time and restoration happens before the window end, there is still opportunity for the car to charge up at the cheaper rate.

Sparkler said:
nozferatu said:

I have always used Departure Time, I set that for 6AM, the end of our Super Off Peak rate, and it is done by 5:55 every morning.

Back