Looking for Spark EV battery and warranty information

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, Meridian! Small world. I commute from Nampa, west of Meridian to Boise, east of Meridian. I park in a warm garage (55-60F) and pre-heat while still plugged in. I run fewer miles per kw in the morning commute than the PM. I have not run in winter yet. Car should be back from the body shop Wednesday or Thursday. I need to do some maintenance on the van soon!

Planerench said:
Wow, Meridian! Small world. I commute from Nampa, west of Meridian to Boise, east of Meridian. I park in a warm garage (55-60F) and pre-heat while still plugged in. I run fewer miles per kw in the morning commute than the PM. I have not run in winter yet. Car should be back from the body shop Wednesday or Thursday. I need to do some maintenance on the van soon!
I am really interested in how your Spark EV performs when it really gets cold as I know it will sooner or later. You have a real challenge not having much charging infrastructure in your area. I would like to know how you deal with it.

I charge at home L2 and at work L1. I have used the lone charging slot at the Towne Square Mall. I have used one of the two chargers at the Discovery Center in Boise. The public chargers are free at this time. That is how early we are here in EV infrastructure. I didn’t even consider getting a Spark with DCFC because there wasn’t one in the state. The local GM dealer now has one, but it is less than two miles away so of no use for covering distance. 26F this morning.

It’s cooling off here. Lows below freezing. Highs in the 40s. Yesterday capacity worked out to 18.5 kwhr which is the highest I recall having seen. Minimum cabin heat with pilot seat heater selected “ON” is yielding 4.0 miles per Kwhr. Mostly freeway; cruise control @62 MPH. I did the recall update just before Spark went to the body shop so I am working up new baseline averages. Seems GOM reads lower but capacity pencils out larger. Don’t know for certain yet. Not enough data points.

I have a .xls for plotting the Dreaded D.
I used to add to it weekly. Not so often now.
I have dozens of phone pics that need to be put in so I can say where my pack is at the moment.
18.5 sounds great! But you have to average over time and a plot is best.

Below are the column titles. The math is done automatically. I used 19.5 kWh as the 'New' figure, but who knows?
Some columns don't do anything, just an fyi sort of data gathering.
I might be able to figure out how to share this .xls, but smarter people than me can get one working for themselves.

Mileage- Date- % Used- kWh used -Present Capacity kWh- Temp- Trip Dist.- Trip mi./ kWh- % of Orig-Cap- NOTES

Last cap was back to 16.5. Driving the wife to church this morning, heater blasting, recharged at home. 58 miles on the GOM fully charged!

Planerench said:
Last cap was back to 16.5. Driving the wife to church this morning, heater blasting, recharged at home. 58 miles on the GOM fully charged!
The heater can, depending on how you use it, really put a dent in your GOM estimated mileage. Your mi/kWh will take a dive and then recover depending if you preheat before leaving or not.

MrDRMorgan said:
Planerench said:
The heater can, depending on how you use it, really put a dent in your GOM estimated mileage. Your mi/kWh will take a dive and then recover depending if you preheat before leaving or not.
It was a maximum comfort experiment. Preheated before we left, preheated before we left church, preheated in the parking lot of the grocery store on the way home. Darn near half the power consumed was environmental (heat). It was windy, drizzly, just above freezing; perfect for showing off the preheating feature. I want to sell the wife on her own Spark Ev or maybe a Bolt in a few years. I guess I assumed the Bolt has the preheat feature too? Anyone know for sure?

Planerench said:
MrDRMorgan said:
Planerench said:
It was a maximum comfort experiment. Preheated before we left, preheated before we left church, preheated in the parking lot of the grocery store on the way home. Darn near half the power consumed was environmental (heat). It was windy, drizzly, just above freezing; perfect for showing off the preheating feature. I want to sell the wife on her own Spark Ev or maybe a Bolt in a few years. I guess I assumed the Bolt has the preheat feature too? Anyone know for sure?

Yes, the Chevy Bolt has the pre-heat option too. The morning temperatures here in Central California have been in the high 30s to low 40s so I just started using the car's heater which I have set to 73 deg. F.

Low temps here have been in the mid teens, highs in the mid 30s. Battery capacity has been between 16.8 and 17.1. Cold air is definitely harder to plow through. Traction and handling have been delightful. Side roads still have some packed ice. Freeways and thoroughfares are sandy.

Back