New guy, many questions. Reliability??

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dangerHV said:
... "No, we don't have that feature in the Spark EV, but would you like to come in this afternoon to test drive the beautiful Chevy Suburban we just got in?)...
David

Yep,,, those guys.... For some reason they just really, really want you to walk in that door.

Don't do it.

I would still ask for a picture of the open charge door. Don't tell them why. You never know what they don't know,, if that makes sense.

You know how to tell if a car salesman is lying?
His lips are moving.....

On both my Volt and Spark EV purchases I only dealt with the internet sales manager through email.
I never had to talk to those dogs,, er, sales professionals, until the deal was done and I called from the airport for them to come and pick me up, or from the road giving them an ETA for me to dolly the Spark home.

Good luck and have patience !

Thanks for telling me this "secret", elpwr. I promise not to tell a soul! As far as the car you didn't tell me about, It's on my "short list" and I was told by Z that none of their 2014's had DCFC!!!...grrr... (MD= 300 miles, CA=3500 miles.) I'll be rechecking momentarily, thanks again.
Thanks, again NORTON (laughing face would be here if it worked for me)
David

Earlier when I was considering the second one, I called Zach, explained how to check for the DCFC port, and asked him to check. He texted back that the he personally looked at the car and it did indeed did have it. You might want to confirm that with him, however.

These are essentially new cars but the dealer must market them as used to sell them out of state. Local Chevy dealer pulled up full history on mine. It went straight to the Atlanta GM training facility and sat there, apparently untouched, for about a year before being sold at dealer auction. It did have a couple of minor cosmetic flaws but came off the truck with 62 miles on the odo.

Because it was on MCO the Fl DMV titled it as new, there's a good probability I can get the full tax credit on it reducing its actual cost to only about $10,500. Pretty reasonable for a new EV.

elpwr, checked over phone-yes! I may just go fur a cruise tomorrow. I get close to 40 mpg in my 96 Civic and I love to drive.
My understanding is if it's sold as used, don't expect the $7,500 tax credit. That credit and any state incentives may have already been taken, hence the low price tag.

David

dangerHV said:
elpwr, checked over phone-yes! I may just go fur a cruise tomorrow. I get close to 40 mpg in my 96 Civic and I love to drive.
My understanding is if it's sold as used, don't expect the $7,500 tax credit. That credit and any state incentives may have already been taken, hence the low price tag.

David

Not necessarily true! I spent a ridiculous amount of time researching it and still don't have a positive answer. The language in the Federal statute requires that you be the "first user" and that the car is "new". I think it could be argued that a never titled vehicle with less than 75 miles on it would meet both criteria. Especially in my case where the DMV titled it as a new car.

The only way to know for sure is to apply for it next year at tax time and see if it goes through. Not sure about state incentives. None in Fl anyway.

Dave

elpwr said:
I think it could be argued that a never titled vehicle with less than 75 miles on it would meet both criteria. Especially in my case where the DMV titled it as a new car.

I'd expect you would win that argument. If no title had been issued before you bought the car then you're the first owner.

StevesWeb said:
elpwr said:
I think it could be argued that a never titled vehicle with less than 75 miles on it would meet both criteria. Especially in my case where the DMV titled it as a new car.

I'd expect you would win that argument. If no title had been issued before you bought the car then you're the first owner.

I'm just hoping it doesn't come down to an argument with the IRS! And I'm also hoping that applying for the full credit doesn't trigger an audit. All my tax filings are completely by-the-book but an audit is a real PITA.

For IRS filing you need the original MSO - Manufacturers Statement of Origin.
This shows you are the original purchaser.

I got one with my 2400 mile '13 Demo Volt.
My '14 Spark EV was used with 3200 miles. And a bargain !!! Half of what I got out of my Volt!

Having MCO (or sometimes called MSO) doesn't guarantee you'll get the tax credit. The manufacturer or dealer could have taken the credit and the car is still on MCO.

A FL dealer has taken the credit on many Volts that have never been titled and still on MCO.

elpwr said:
.....A FL dealer has taken the credit on many Volts that have never been titled and still on MCO.
Dang, is that legal? Do the buyers know this before buying a supposedly brand new car?

It's legal for the manufacturer or dealer to take the credit. It would be pretty unethical not to disclose that. But I think they are telling customers. They're able to sell these cars about $7500 under what anyone else is and that is the reason.

Thanks for all the input, guys. I'll just add to elpwr's last post and say that's what I've heard BUT - in a post from Tony sometime back, It's still up to the BUYER to make sure of what they are buying (I can't remember the phrase he used). "Buyer beware" is the phrase I remember.
Just got back from my 720 mile joyride to Maryland. I really like the Spark, and I think it looks better in person than in pictures. I didn't take it for a test drive yet (I don't have the cash yet) but I gave it my nit-picking inspection, inside, outside, and under-hood. It passed with an A-. As has been mentioned several times, the seats are too firm and the headrests need replacing. (I'll check out the VW headrests mentioned in other posts) It will be a challenge to "Fix" the seat comfort issue. (They remind me of the seats in my Mom's '71 VW Fastback.) I know they have heated seats, but I'm pretty creative with basic electronics and mechanical stuff. When I come up with something, I'll be sure to post it.

David

Back