New Owner Check-in Page!

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alcalira

I'm starting a page where new owners can check in, compare purchase/lease experiences, describe first trip or drive home from the dealer adventures, etc.

Leased our Spark EV on Friday 12/18. Replacing one of our 2 LEAFs that is coming to lease end. Fun 85 mile drive home from F.H. Dailey Chev in San Leandro to Davis,CA that included a short quick charge session. Can't believe we get this much EV for a payment half of our LEAF payment!

Alcalira said:
I'm starting a page where new owners can check in, compare purchase/lease experiences, describe first trip or drive home from the dealer adventures, etc.

Leased our Spark EV on Friday 12/18. Replacing one of our 2 LEAFs that is coming to lease end. Fun 85 mile drive home from F.H. Dailey Chev in San Leandro to Davis,CA that included a short quick charge session. Can't believe we get this much EV for a payment half of our LEAF payment!

Congratulations...you will enjoy this car:)

Just got my 2014 today. Bought it used from FH Dailey. Got a pretty good deal I think. $15,600 OTD with a little over 2k miles on it. The drive home to San Jose so much fun. Selling my 2013 BMW X3 since my wife already has a Kia Sorento. The Spark is my commuter/fun car.

dJwreck,

Congrats on your new Spark EV. The first ride home is definitely thrilling. By chance were there any 2015's or hint when the 2016's would arrive?

New owner in New Orleans got a 2014 no quick charge option, electric blue outta Houston Tx. with 5k miles manufacture plate car for $15,100 otd. Really wasn't ready to buy one yet but went for it anyway and its amazing to drive! The 2014 car is what I wanted because of the high toque and A123 battery plus its a GM. I have built and raced sport bikes turbo & e85/nitrous cars in the past but find EV,s way more interesting now days. I look forward to learning & modifying this car in the future. My first question is whats the max amps @240volt will this car charge at? Looking at 240volt home charge setups and wanting to make the right purchase in regards to fastest charge capabilities now and in the future incase of possible improvement over stock onboard charge rate.

refinerysmells said:
... My first question is whats the max amps @240volt will this car charge at? Looking at 240volt home charge setups and wanting to make the right purchase in regards to fastest charge capabilities now and in the future incase of possible improvement over stock onboard charge rate.

3.3 KW, iirc, or about 15-16 amps max. More than fast enough for overnight charging, woefully inadequate for public charging when they charge by the hour...

I love my Spark, but, wait for the Bolt later this year. Over 3 times the battery, charges more than twice as fast, all sorts of tech the Spark doesn't have. I can't wait. Want to but a used Spark EV? Has every option, including DCFC.

nevetsyad said:
I love my Spark, but, wait for the Bolt later this year. Over 3 times the battery, charges more than twice as fast, all sorts of tech the Spark doesn't have. I can't wait. Want to but a used Spark EV? Has every option, including DCFC.
Bolt is also $12K more. This is a biggie; you can get lots of car for $30K. For example, SparkEV + used SUV. Or Ford Fiesta with 200 HP (like Bolt) for $22K, or Subaru WRX with even more power and AWD for $26K.

http://sparkev.blogspot.com/2016/01/mass-market-ev-to-bolt-or-not-to-bolt.html

The L2 charging is twice, but the actual time you need to charge X% is quicker with SparkEV due to smaller battery. People's behavior I've seen in public is that they charge to X%, not X miles. Home charging doesn't really matter either way.

But I never use L2 in public; it's just too slow, even 6.6kW (most public EVSE top out at 6.6kW). Bolt with 50kW would charge about the same speed (mi/hr) as SparkEV with DCFC, probably bit slower than SparkEV since Bolt is heavier and larger (lower efficiency, mi/kWh).

If you're selling SparkEV, check out the market prices these days. They are crazy high. Many are advertised as $18K in CA, more than new price. You might make a nice profit!

Bolt EV + used SUV sounds like a good idea, until you're dropping the SUV off at the stealership every few months for maintenance and work to be done. My Spark has never been in for anything and never will while I own it. Bolt I will take in once a year for tire rotations and nothing more.

The Ford Fiesta tops out at a 1.6l engine with 120 horsepower and 112 lb.-ft. of torque, per the ford web site. All of the cars you listed require gas, spark plugs, fluid changes and more, regularly. I prefer a steady annual tire rotation and predictable fuel cost. (Free with an investment of solar on your house)

Percentage of charge of the battery, yes, the spark will gain more. But if you want to put 50 miles of range on the car, the Bolt will do it much quick at a 6.6kW charing station, even with it's inefficiencies. I'm guessing they're only claiming 25 miles of range per hour of charging to keep expectations low, like how it gets 200 miles of range per charge. With the heater blasting and on a hilly highway, maybe. In good weather and flat roads, 250 miles maybe? I can't find an official miles of range per hour of charge for the Spark, we all assume about 15, but with the horrible conditions in the North East lately, I'm really getting about 10.

Quick charging a vehicle with a larger battery means more time in the bulk charging stage. If both vehicles sit at a 50kW CCS charging station for twenty minutes, the Spark will be slowing it's charge rate to a few kWs after it reaches 80 or 90% SOC. The Bolt will be sucking down 50kWs the entire time, putting on milage MUCH faster per hour. I plan on driving my Bolt cross country at least once. The Spark, I plan on driving to Florida in a few months, but with it's slow onboard charger and relatively tiny battery, DCFS won't be nearly as helpful. I plan on making 400-800 miles a day with the Bolt, the Spark won't be able to do half that.

I hope the SparkEV keeps it's value later this year. I'm afraid it's going to be seen as a discontinued relic once it's big brother hits the scene.

In conclusion, yes, it costs more, yes it may be 5 or 10% less efficient, but it offers FAR more technology, range, battery and charging ability. It can be the only car I need, no need to maintain and park a spare ICE vehicle in the driveway anymore! I still love the Spark though, it was nice for what it was.

nevetsyad said:
Bolt EV + used SUV sounds like a good idea, until you're dropping the SUV off at the stealership every few months for maintenance and work to be done.
I think you meant SparkEV, not Bolt. The amount of driving you'd do with the SUV will be minimal, maybe only for 200+ or 300+ miles trips. Since SparkEV is working for you, those long drives would be rare, making gas car maintenance to be much less. Also, SUV would be much more room and home depot trips would be possible as well as towing stuff, like $250 Harbor freight trailer to pick up refrigerator, or even camping trailer.

nevetsyad said:
The Ford Fiesta tops out at a 1.6l engine with 120 horsepower and 112 lb.-ft. of torque, per the ford web site. All of the cars you listed require gas, ...
It seems you haven't read my blog post. I'm not talking about base Fiesta (~$15K), but Fiesta ST with 200 HP ($22K). But if your criteria is only EV and no gas car, Bolt is best bang for the buck for now (again, in my blog post). I'm waiting for Tesla, though. Bolt is not very good value IMO whereas SparkEV kicked butt of every gas car in its price range.

nevetsyad said:
Bolt will do it much quick at a 6.6kW charing station, even with it's inefficiencies. I'm guessing they're only claiming 25 miles of range per hour of charging to keep expectations low
If SparkEV L2 is working for you now, Bolt won't make it much better. If SparkEV is meeting 99% (or even 90%) of your needs, Bolt at $12K more seems much for the remainder. At 6.6kW, it'll be bit less than double SparkEV, so 25 MPH is probably about right. If you're getting 10 with SparkEV, you'll probably get 19 with Bolt. But again, L2 is only for home or work where you'd be away for hours and hours, not very practical for public charging.

nevetsyad said:
Quick charging a vehicle with a larger battery means more time in the bulk charging stage.
People generally charge to 80%, so only savings by Bolt would be fewer charge sessions. But consider that one has to be pretty crazy to drive more than 4 or 5 DCFC in a day, which means typical SparkEV drivers would make 200 miles trips as often as Bolt drivers make 600 miles trips. For longer trips, SparkEV drivers would simply drive gas cars, rent or second car they have, making Bolt no faster than SparkEV.

nevetsyad said:
I plan on driving my Bolt cross country at least once.
That'll require lots of L2, and that'll be just as slow as current Leaf or even Fiat 500e. This is one of my big complaint about Bolt. Chevy refuse to help charging. Even something as simple as making 150kW chargers available to buy/lease would help. But they say "unless it helps all our customers, we won't invest". No gas car benefit means no investment in EV charging.

nevetsyad said:
I hope the SparkEV keeps it's value later this year. I'm afraid it's going to be seen as a discontinued relic once it's big brother hits the scene.
If EV1 was sold and not crushed, I doubt the value would go down. While it's hard to say now, being the quickest car under $20K (even quicker than Elantra, Sentra, Corolla) AND as EV would make it pretty interesting car to have, especially if it's discontinued.

nevetsyad said:
In conclusion, yes, it costs more, yes it may be 5 or 10% less efficient, but it offers FAR more technology, range, battery and charging ability. It can be the only car I need, no need to maintain and park a spare ICE vehicle in the driveway anymore!
Again, you're focused on things outside of price. I'm concerned about bang for the buck with regard to any car. $12K saving with SparkEV buys lots of big macs, and $8K saving with Fiesta ST could buy used Nissan Leaf.

Of course, the combo I'd go for is SparkEV + $12K used SUV or mini van + trailer. That'll make it EV 99% of the time, ability to drive 500+ miles in one sitting (by wearing diaper), tow camping trailer, and ability to haul large items eliminating the need for a truck. That's lot to give up just for one Bolt that may not have much more EV driving.

Back