OBD2 Scanner and Software for 2015 Chevy Spark

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jabe said:
thoughts on the accuracy of the "battery capacity guess" info? mine is at 13.6 kWh..was hoping for higher..that about average?

13.6 kWh seems low to me, but I don't know how real that number is or how it is measured. Maybe someone else will have some input.

RSC said:
jabe said:
thoughts on the accuracy of the "battery capacity guess" info? mine is at 13.6 kWh..was hoping for higher..that about average?

13.6 kWh seems low to me, but I don't know how real that number is or how it is measured. Maybe someone else will have some input.

gom was 100km in winter... is hovering around 120 km now..

jabe said:
gom was 100km in winter... is hovering around 120 km now..

My current OBD2 capacity is 15.2 kWh.

I'm getting about 110 km on the GOM right now (68 miles, maybe 69 or 70). Winter range for me is about 105 km (65 miles, maybe as low as 62), with very little use of cabin heating. However, there are no flat roads where I live and my usual trips involve a downhill drive with an uphill return. I think that this leads to a low GOM number, maybe because I don't get much regen on the way down with a full battery. There are some destinations uphill from me, and if I drive uphill to them and then down, I start to get a better GOM number.

My belief is that the battery capacity estimate is one of the numbers used by the computer to arrive at the GOM estimate. I would guess that the battery capacity estimate is determined by comparing energy used to voltage drop-off. Maybe the accuracy of the battery capacity estimate depends on how much the battery is discharged. I guess you could run the battery all the way down to get an accurate estimate, but I personally wouldn't do it or recommend it, at least not very often.

Edit:
Just a couple more things --
1) I'm really not an expert on this.
2) I wouldn't worry too much about the battery capacity as long as the car does what you need it to do.

Edit again:
RSC said:
... by comparing power used to voltage drop-off.
Sorry, make that energy. The concept in my mind was energy, but somehow power came out.

RSC said:
Edit:
Just a couple more things --
2) I wouldn't worry too much about the battery capacity as long as the car does what you need it to do.
agreed..as long as it stays around the same charge I'm good.. I plan to do a 80 km one way trip in one go somewhat regualry (couple times a month) and charge at destination.. a litle more charge would make it a more relaxed trip. :) other than that the car matches exactly what i need..love it.. now to just find another set of rims for my winter tires :)
jb

Back