Performance modification I'd like to see (an would pay for!)

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d15b7

Hey fellas. I'm loving my Spark EV! almost 2000 miles on it in the first 2 months ownership :) I come from a long line of performance cars (Lexus GS400, Ford Mustang Cobra, Corvette ZR1 (the C4 original one), Mitsubishi EVO and more), plus I have two road race cars that I run up and down the east coast at various racetracks. so I guess I'm a motor head haha!

Almost all of my street cars had various tuning shops that offered reprogrammed ecus or reflashes to increase performance. After reading about the 2014 Spark EV (402 lb-ft torque) and the Sema Show car Spark EV (450 lb-ft torque) vs my car 2015 model with 327 lb-ft torque -- I'm thinking that Chevy reprogrammed the 2015 car and restricted the max torque output from what it's actual possible maximum really is.

I'd like to see (and I'd gladly buy) a reflash of the controller which would de-restrict max torque when the Sport button is pressed (currently all I can see Sport doing now is remapping the throttle map, making it more aggressive, but not actually delivering more power when the accelerator pedal is all the way to the floor).

99% of the time I'd leave it in 'normal' mode and drive it normally. but once in a while, it would be fun to activate Sport, and have it deliver 450 lb-ft of torque (vs 327) -- that's a HUGE difference, and would probably drop the 0-60 more than a full second. (remember mine has the much shorter final drive ratio in it already, which combined with another 40% more torque would make for a real rocket).

any rumors of any tuning shops working on a hot reflash for our Spark EVs?

d15b7 said:
Hey fellas. I'm loving my Spark EV! almost 2000 miles on it in the first 2 months ownership :) I come from a long line of performance cars (Lexus GS400, Ford Mustang Cobra, Corvette ZR1 (the C4 original one), Mitsubishi EVO and more), plus I have two road race cars that I run up and down the east coast at various racetracks. so I guess I'm a motor head haha!

Almost all of my street cars had various tuning shops that offered reprogrammed ecus or reflashes to increase performance. After reading about the 2014 Spark EV (402 lb-ft torque) and the Sema Show car Spark EV (450 lb-ft torque) vs my car 2015 model with 327 lb-ft torque -- I'm thinking that Chevy reprogrammed the 2015 car and restricted the max torque output from what it's actual possible maximum really is.

I'd like to see (and I'd gladly buy) a reflash of the controller which would de-restrict max torque when the Sport button is pressed (currently all I can see Sport doing now is remapping the throttle map, making it more aggressive, but not actually delivering more power when the accelerator pedal is all the way to the floor).

99% of the time I'd leave it in 'normal' mode and drive it normally. but once in a while, it would be fun to activate Sport, and have it deliver 450 lb-ft of torque (vs 327) -- that's a HUGE difference, and would probably drop the 0-60 more than a full second. (remember mine has the much shorter final drive ratio in it already, which combined with another 40% more torque would make for a real rocket).

One of the quickest ways to increase torque to the road is increasing tire size....unfortunately we can't even do that! Sucks!

I suspect that 400 or 450 ft/lbs of torque would never be usable. Have you experimented with turning the traction control off?
Either amount of torque, all you would get is tire smoke. Roll your windows down, no radio and listen to those little front tires. Stock the traction control is stopping one, then the other front tire from going up in smoke.

I think this is the drive unit that will end up in the Bolt and we are just the beta testers for this drive unit.
It's acceleration you want and you need more traction. Look at some of the tire mods some owners have figured out.

That 400 or 327 number is probably at stall speed on a static dyno. The torque curve is what gives us the 130 HP figure.
Still, 130 HP in a little Korean S-Box is nothing to be trifled with !!

Enjoy! Get yourself wider sticky street tires on some 16" wheels and go Cooper S hunting ! Silently !!

d15b7 said:

At the same time the motor torque was reduced the final drive ratio was increased from 3.17 to 3.87 so the torque to the wheels (which is the important number) is virtually the same.

The max torque is only available up to about 40mph beyond which the power output of the battery/inverter is the limitation.

kevin

nozferatu said:
d15b7 said:

One of the quickest ways to increase torque to the road is increasing tire size....unfortunately we can't even do that! Sucks!

Surely you mean decreasing the diameter.

The drive train produces way more power than can be used. AWD might help get more of the power down, along with wider sticker tires. I suppose you could get your saw out and open up the wheel wells :D

you guys aren't too used to high (and I mean HIGH) performance cars. one of my road race cars is a 1995 Honda civic which has been completely stripped down as light as possible (with a roll cage and other safety equipment). the original 1.5 liter 102 hp engine has been replaced with a 2.4 acura TSX motor and 6 speed transmission, with a moderately sized turbocharger. output is 385 hp at the front wheels as measured on the dyno. I run stickier and slightly larger tires on it (225-45-15s).

the Spark EV is a total PUSSYCAT to drive even with the traction control off. for me, a total snooze fest. I could definitely handle another 50% power with zero concerns.

the civic on the other hand is a HANDFUL to drive, from 0 mph up to its top speed of 163 mph (8500 rpm in 6th and still pulling strong). wheelspin is prevalent in the first 4 gears; full power can't be applied till shifting into 5th gear around 105 mph. it's scary fast and will bite you if driven improperly.

I'm also the primary lead driver on this car (well now we have 3 of them): http://www.evsr.net (all three of which are on their way to Pikes Peak as I type this)

its the first of its kind here in the US. it's an EV road race car, for the 'regular club type road race driver'. (read actually affordable). racing that car is also a total pussy cat -- extremely easy to drive. no shifting from 0 to it's top speed of 125 mph (with the standard gearing. with long gearing we saw 140 at Pocono in testing). the motor is about half the torque of the Spark EV but a little more hp - about 170), it's weight is much less (about 1925 without driver). it's very easy to drive and the end of last year I ran it at a big SCCA regional race at NJMP Thunderbolt racetrack and won overall (it races in the Spec Ford class, which is what the chassis is based on).

so, yes, from a performance standpoint, I can say with authority that the Spark EV could definitely deal with the extra power, with a decent driver piloting it.

d15b7 said:
.. I could definitely handle another 50% power with zero concerns.
...so, yes, from a performance standpoint, I can say with authority that the Spark EV could definitely deal with the extra power, with a decent driver piloting it.

You Da'Man, but how does 'decent piloting' keep from shredding through these 185's with the traction control off and 50% more, or even stock power?
I'm pretty sure TC is better at keeping the tires on the edge of spinning better than a human could.

I was there at Pikes Peak last year, but couldn't go up the mountain to watch because of a friend's travel plans. Maybe this year!

NORTON said:
You Da'Man, but how does 'decent piloting' keep from shredding through these 185's with the traction control off and 50% more, or even stock power?
I'm pretty sure TC is better at keeping the tires on the edge of spinning better than a human could.

I was there at Pikes Peak last year, but couldn't go up the mountain to watch because of a friend's travel plans. Maybe this year!

Hey Norton :)

not true -- the traction control in our Spark EVs is very very intrusive; it engages and cuts back torque at a very early stage. I'm much faster without it. Likewise, when I drive a C5 Z06 on track (i've driven several) my lap times are always better with the electronic nannies turned completely off. same goes for driving 997 Porsche GT3 on track -- the car is faster with traction control and PASM turned off (I'm a nationally certified PCA instructor) -- I drive lots of Porsches.

most times, the traction control and stability control programs are way too intrusive, at least if a decent driver is behind the wheel. give me 50% more power, on demand when I want it (press Sport) and the car will be much swifter. even with the standard tires.

a great driver modulates or feathers the throttle, and keeps maximum wheel slippage between 5-10% maximum. that's what I teach when I'm coaching an advanced driver on track who needs to improve his throttle control

More power would be welcome. Especially that "soft start" from a standstill.

But keep in mind that this is, ultimately a daewoo matiz, an extra inexpensive economy car. You are limited by the basic limitations of the original chassis. I understand that the chassis has additional bracing and revised spring rates and shocks for EV spec. I think the car is "fun" to drive if you take it about 6/8ths but beyond that it starts getting unsettled. I also find that the car delivers inconsistent brake performance because of the brake simulator - a common problem with electrified vehicles.

I'd agree about the chassis -- it's fantastic for what it really is, but it's not a race car either (and it needn't be!). I'm not claiming to need a road race car from the Spark EV -- but it would definitely be nice to have an additional 50% power available at command for those once-in-a-while times.

Back