PG&E EV charging stations reduced

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparkevBlogspot

Does anyone know what PG&E is planning?

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/10/17/california-hits-brakes-electric-vehicle-infrastruc.aspx

If it's DCFC (hopefully CCS), even 1000 additional would be useful. But L2 is pretty useless as I see most L2 chargers not being used even today. At proposed price point, "$654 million proposal to regulators to add 25,100 electric-vehicle charging stations", each station works out to $26055, kind of low to be DCFC, way too high for L2. But with wiring, etc, maybe these are all L2? If L2, even the 1/10 of that is way too many.

Better would be to have 1/10 as DCFC. Anyone know how to muscle PG&E? ;-)

SparkevBlogspot said:
But L2 is pretty useless as I see most L2 chargers not being used even today.
It really depends on where and the price. If they're too expensive, of course few or nobody will use them. If they're free and in decent locations, they'll get used.

At my work (we have free charging), we previously had WAY more EVs/PHEVs than J1772 handles. They were definitely in use everyday. Our EV valets who had access to 6 handles have trouble charging all vehicles to 100% once they received past 18 vehicles for that day. They got authorization to use some of the self-service handles in our parking garage past 4 pm, if push came to shove.

Our parking valets are gone but now we have PLENTY of handles @ work (a TON got added), and almost all of the ones (we have access to) get used. We've got a large # on the roof of a parking structure at work that for some reason, is still blocked. Not sure why as it looked like construction work up there is done.

cwerdna said:
At my work (we have free charging), we previously had WAY more EVs/PHEVs than J1772 handles
Aren't all free workplace charging handled by the business? Is PG&E plan to get into businesses? The article isn't clear at all.

If they're going to be free, it won't matter whether there's 100 or 1,000,000 more, it will be crowded. Sure way to get people to have bad EV experience is to give out free public charging. L2 would make the problem far worse since each car would take hours rather than minutes. And believe me, if it's free, it will attract flies and riff-raff.

http://sparkev.blogspot.com/2015/10/free-charging-sucks.html

Oh, and let's not forget, LEAF SUCKS!

SparkevBlogspot said:
Does anyone know what PG&E is planning?

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/10/17/california-hits-brakes-electric-vehicle-infrastruc.aspx

If it's DCFC (hopefully CCS), even 1000 additional would be useful. But L2 is pretty useless as I see most L2 chargers not being used even today. At proposed price point, "$654 million proposal to regulators to add 25,100 electric-vehicle charging stations", each station works out to $26055, kind of low to be DCFC, way too high for L2. But with wiring, etc, maybe these are all L2? If L2, even the 1/10 of that is way too many.

Better would be to have 1/10 as DCFC. Anyone know how to muscle PG&E? ;-)

Google is your friend:

"All of the 25,000 stations PG&E proposes to build would have Level 2 chargers, which provide up to 25 miles of range for every hour of charging. To support travel between metropolitan areas, PG&E would also install at key locations 100 DC fast chargers, which can recharge an EV’s battery in only 30 minutes. "

http://www.pge.com/en/about/newsroom/newsdetails/index.page%3Ftitle%3D20150209_pge_proposes_major_build-out_of_electric_vehicle_charging_stations

nikwax said:
"All of the 25,000 stations PG&E proposes to build would have Level 2 chargers, which provide up to 25 miles of range for every hour of charging. To support travel between metropolitan areas, PG&E would also install at key locations 100 DC fast chargers, which can recharge an EV’s battery in only 30 minutes. "
That's the plan before they're cut by 90% in the link I showed. What is the new plan? I hope they keep 100 DCFC and only cut L2. But more importantly, they don't make it free.

Back