Range Anexity seek advice on trip from Oakland to Sacramento

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xlqbn

SF Bay Area Folks:
I'm a relatively new SparkEV owner - (Jan/16 4K miles so far) which I use for local commuting and errand running.
Typically I drive 25-60 miles/day and charge at home at night
The longest trip I've taken is from Berkeley to Livermore last weekend 74 miles round trip in some heat (80+) and some hills (over the dublin grade) while keeping my speed down to 60-65. When I got home the GOM indicated 26-38 miles residual range and the power usage screen indicated I used 73% of available battery power including 6% on climate control. Since new I've never seen any power used for battery conditioning. My lifetime average MPGe is currently 138 and 5mi/kw

I have to go to Sacramento next week during the late morning, about 85 miles and spend the afternoon there and I have range anxiety about it. Temps will be about 85-95, and traffic moves fast on I-80 in the 70's. Plugshare shows a couple of public fast chargers on the way in Vacaville and Davis and in Sacramento, and the destination I going to has some level 2 chargers that I can potentially use while i'm there. But I'm concerned that the CCS fast chargers & level 2's will be booked up.

Does anyone have any experience with EV trips between the bay area and Sacramento and availability of CCS fastchargers

thanks in advance

XLQBN

16-Spark EV
04-Prius ( gifted to daughter which was the excuse for leasing the SparkEV)
16 Subaru Forester

Xlqbn said:
SF Bay Area Folks:
I'm a relatively new SparkEV owner - (Jan/16 4K miles so far) which I use for local commuting and errand running.
Typically I drive 25-60 miles/day and charge at home at night
The longest trip I've taken is from Berkeley to Livermore last weekend 74 miles round trip in some heat (80+) and some hills (over the dublin grade) while keeping my speed down to 60-65. When I got home the GOM indicated 26-38 miles residual range and the power usage screen indicated I used 73% of available battery power including 6% on climate control. Since new I've never seen any power used for battery conditioning. My lifetime average MPGe is currently 138 and 5mi/kw

I have to go to Sacramento next week during the late morning, about 85 miles and spend the afternoon there and I have range anxiety about it. Temps will be about 85-95, and traffic moves fast on I-80 in the 70's. Plugshare shows a couple of public fast chargers on the way in Vacaville and Davis and in Sacramento, and the destination I going to has some level 2 chargers that I can potentially use while i'm there. But I'm concerned that the CCS fast chargers & level 2's will be booked up.

Does anyone have any experience with EV trips between the bay area and Sacramento and availability of CCS fastchargers

thanks in advance

XLQBN

16-Spark EV
04-Prius ( gifted to daughter which was the excuse for leasing the SparkEV)
16 Subaru Forester
You really should not have any problem getting to your destination and back as there are a number of DCFC locations along the way. How you pay for charging might be a little problem unless you have a membership / RFID card for all DCFC stations or they accept credit cards - it looks like they do but I would call each supplier to check. Distance from Pleasant Hill to Vacaville is 37 miles - no problem. Distance from Vacaville to Sacramento SMUD HQ is 34 miles - no problem. You can minimize the climate impact by setting your cabin temperature to 75 deg. F and using the AUTO button to let the car control the air conditioning. Keeping your speed down will help too. I recently drove from Manteca, CA to Lincoln, CA (North of Roseville) at 60 - 65 mph, 3 adults in the car and using AC when necessary. I stopped at a DCFC location in Galt and one in Citrus Heights both going to and returning from Lincoln. I usually quick charge to 85% as that keeps my charging time down to around 10 minutes. I have used the SMUD HQ DCFC and it is great. I have not been to Vacaville but I find NRG eVgo DCFC stations to be quite reliable.

Added: If you go up HWY 80 from Berkeley, you could stop at the Gateway Plaza in Vallejo. That is an NRG eVgo DCFC location.

EV Rider
2014 Spark EV 2LT
2015 Spark EV 2LT with quick charger

I've gone the opposite way a few times, Sac to Oakland, and back. I drive the speed limit and have had the AC on.

Vacaville is your friend. There are two fast charging stations there, so that increases your chances of getting a quick charge if one of them is down. EVGo charges a more-expensive-than-gas $5.00 just to connect, so you may prefer the ChargePoint charger that's near to it...though it is a little slower at 24kw.

Vacaville combined with the awesome (and fairly priced) Sacramento SMUD charger that should get you back to Vacaville should be all you need.

Unfortunately, you'll possibly need Greenlots, EVGo, and ChargePoint accounts. If all else fails, there are Level 2 chargers all over the route.

Thanks for forball the advice. The trip went smashingly except for traffic
1st leg Berkeley to hole foods Davis 63 mi. 12 minutes on the charger to get to 80% 72 mi range
Next stop 25 mi to my destination in north Sacramento near the Arco arena

They actually have a free level 2 charger but it was occupied by a volt, the owner of which was kind enuf to leave a phone number to call if it was charged

But I was in a hearing and couldent follow up

For the homeward leg I stopped in Vacaville and tried the chargepoint unit at the Arco station

It is as indeed less expensive but took 28 minutes to get to 80% (next time I'll use the nrg 50 kv charger)

Then 51 miles home to Berkeley arriving with 13 miles in the "tank"
Apparently 0% battery conditioning in 82 degree weather

Thanks for all the tips

Pete moss

Xlqbn said:
Thanks for forball the advice. The trip went smashingly except for traffic
1st leg Berkeley to hole foods Davis 63 mi. 12 minutes on the charger to get to 80% 72 mi range
Next stop 25 mi to my destination in north Sacramento near the Arco arena

They actually have a free level 2 charger but it was occupied by a volt, the owner of which was kind enuf to leave a phone number to call if it was charged

But I was in a hearing and couldent follow up

For the homeward leg I stopped in Vacaville and tried the chargepoint unit at the Arco station

It is as indeed less expensive but took 28 minutes to get to 80% (next time I'll use the nrg 50 kv charger)

Then 51 miles home to Berkeley arriving with 13 miles in the "tank"
Apparently 0% battery conditioning in 82 degree weather

Thanks for all the tips

Pete moss
I am glad you had a successful experience. Check out the post on this forum about another Spark EV driver who just completed a 1200 mile round trip experience.

Hello Guys,

FYI, in warm weather, I see a battery conditioning load when the ambient temperature gets over about 100F out here in Las Vegas. I took a short lunchtime trip when the temp outside was 112F last week and the AC and battery conditioning were eating nearly as much power as the driving. It's much better on the morning and evening commute, however.

-Nathan

Back