Rotors Rust?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkler

Last year Chevrolet advertised that all new '14 Chevys came with a special treatment on the brake rotors that prevented them from rusting. It was developed for the Volt since the regenerative braking used the friction brakes so little, and they wanted to be sure that they did not corrode away before you needed them. It really works, I've never seen any rust on my Volt, nor any brake dust.

I was washing my Spark for the first time and noticed that the rotors had quickly rusted over, just a light film that's since gone away with use.

Seems like the Spark got left off the program...

All brake rotors rust. It's not possible to coat the actual surface of the disc (where the pad makes contact) because that's where the friction is... if you were able to somehow coat it with something then the pad's friction would be compromised.

The surface rust that you see on the rotor surface after contact with water is normal. A couple rotations and the pads will just wipe it away.

The treatment you're referring to is called e-coating which is only done on the rotor hats and edges. In layman's terms that means they painted it with a primer to inhibit rust.

sv650john said:
All brake rotors rust. It's not possible to coat the actual surface of the disc (where the pad makes contact) because that's where the friction is... if you were able to somehow coat it with something then the pad's friction would be compromised.

The surface rust that you see on the rotor surface after contact with water is normal. A couple rotations and the pads will just wipe it away.

The treatment you're referring to is called e-coating which is only done on the rotor hats and edges. In layman's terms that means they painted it with a primer to inhibit rust.

Not quite the same thing the e-coating and the FNC.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ors-to-keep-car-wheels-shiny/article11408699/

nmikmik said:

Beat me to it... It's not a coating, it's a process that makes the rotors rust-free, to a depth of 400-microns (one-tenth the width of a human hair).

"General Motors engineers and scientists have developed and are starting to deploy FNC coating for brake rotors. FNC stands for Ferritic Nitro-Carburizing, a chemical case-hardening process whereby nitrogen and carbon are diffused into the surface of a ferrous metal such as steel or cast iron."

It really does work, and has for years on my Volt, I'm a little disappointed that my Spark does not have it.

Back