Seeing Double

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty

Our neighbors must think we're crazy because when they look at our house, there are two Spark EVs in the driveway! :D

That's right. After my teenage daughter's old POS Hyundai broke down for the umpteenth time, she refused to drive it anymore and demanded a decent car. I couldn't blame her and it just so happens that the best choice out there for just about any car is a new 2015 Spark EV.

Visually they are the same - 2LT trim painted Summit White. Mine has the DC Fast Charge option and hers doesn't, but that's OK; there are almost no places to charge it here in Maryland. The neat thing is the two Sparks drive exactly the same. Handling, braking, acceleration, and even the mediocre speakers are identical, which gives me confidence both cars are working as they should.

More important is the deal. We decided to lease hers for $0 down and 39 months. This is somewhat misleading since the lessor (us) is responsible for tax, tags, title and dealers fees. This added up to more than $2700. They gave us $700 for trading in her old car (way more than it was worth), so we only needed $2000 to cover the rest. This will be more than recouped when our $2375 rebate arrives from the state. The monthly payment is $150, BUT our insurance went down $8 per month thanks to OnStar and 10 airbags, AND her monthly fuel cost should drop from around $90 in gas to about $25 in electricity. That leaves total out-of-pocket cost around $75 per month for a new Spark EV, which she has volunteered to pay for with her baby-sitting, house-cleaning money. If that weren't enough, I've been averaging about $300 per month just trying to keep her old, crappy car on the road. I don't have to pay that anymore! Yippee! :lol:

The only downside is we have to share the same EVSE. Since we're on a special time-of-use EV charging schedule to get a reduced electric rate, we can't begin charging until 8 PM. As it is now, she gets it until 11 PM when I switch the cord over to my car. This should work for a while since she only drives half as far as I do every day. If she starts to run a deficit, she can make it up on weekends when electricity is cheap all day long. If that isn't enough, it should be pretty easy to install a second EVSE.

I guess the big question is: What am I going to do with all the extra money? :D

Dusty

I also have 2. A silver and a white one, but they are usually in the driveway, so my neighbors don't see them.
Last time I had a small BBQ on Saturday, I had 4 sparks parked outside the house.
Some guy with a camera stopped by and took some pictures. He told my dad that he lived in the neighborhood and also had an EV... most likely he passed by and said WTF !!!, must be some sort of SparkEV meet up here.... :D

They are driven 40 miles a day each, so I have 2 EVSE from Bosch installed in the driveway, and plug them in at 10 pm when rates are super low. It's usually done charging around 2 am, so I unplug them if I'm awake or the next morning if I felt asleep.

Guys, you do know that Sparks have a timer that lets you decide when the charging starts and/or ends?

I have mine start charging at 8 PM when the rates go down, so no need to wait to plug in, which means it's harder to forget. I have the Volt set to _finish_ charging by 9 AM when I leave. That option is in the Spark menu as well.

I realize it does not help with just a single EVSE...

Also, what's with unplugging when the charge is done? The manual says that you should leave it plugged in so that the battery can be conditioned (heated OR cooled) using AC power rather than using the battery. Overnight I would not expect any extra power use, but I just leave mine plugged in all the time. Especially when I plan on not using it for a few weeks when it gets really hot like this September was. Having it plugged in when it gets cold is also a great way to go if you want to pre-condition the cabin temp. On 240V my Volt is warm and toasty and fully charged after the 10 minute warm-up cycle.

Sparkler said:
I realize it does not help with just a single EVSE...

Yeah, for now we're switching back and forth with both cars set to charge immediately. I have an app on my phone that reminds me at 8PM to plug a car in, with another reminder at 11:00 to go out and switch the cable. This might sound like a pain, but it really isn't as long as it keeps both of us out of gas stations.

Eventually I'd like to ad another EVSE. The problem is the cost. With an eye for the future, there isn't any point installing anything less than 30 amps (40 amp circuit), and the materials alone for a less-than-ideal setup comes to at least $500. You can do quite a lot of peak charging for that much money. If only someone would offer a reasonable, dual EV charging solution, I would be their first customer.

Dusty

Dusty said:
Yeah, for now we're switching back and forth with both cars....
Why not use the stock EVSE on 120V @ 12 Amps for one of the cars?
Wouldn't it get fully charged by morning?

NORTON said:
Dusty said:
Yeah, for now we're switching back and forth with both cars....
Why use the stock EVSE on 120V @ 12 Amps for one of the cars?
Wouldn't it get fully charged by morning?

It's a good question. In our driveway, both cars are located exactly 107 wire-feet from the service panel. The nearest outlet is only a few feet closer and serves the washing machine. Using it heated up my extension cord at only 8 amps. I would have to get a super-duty extension cord and then deal with switching the cord back and forth with the washer cord. If I'm going to do all that...

Great to see you got two of them. Where in Maryland are you? I'd like to do a meetup for Spark EV owners, but it's tough coming up with a centralized location. We're doing a gathering at the GM plant just north of Baltimore, where they make the Spark EV motors, on the 17th of this month (it's a car show with an entry fee - we had a great time last year). There is an SAE Combo station near BWI though, and a few others in the area.

Mark
www.mdvolt.org

mczajka said:
.. We're doing a gathering at the GM plant just north of Baltimore, where they make the Spark EV motors, on the 17th of this month (it's a car show with an entry fee... Mark
http://www.mdvolt.org
Mark,
Is there a site for the car show? Is there a tour of the plant? I'd love to see where my American EV Muscle comes from !!

EDIT: Mark, I contacted the plant and sent you a PM through mdvolt.org. There are no plant tours on weekends.
I would fly in a day or so early if there was a tour scheduled. My son goes to George Washington Univ. so it would be a good excuse to visit both !

Let us know if there is any interest in setting up a tour group for the Friday before the Car Show,,, if there is still time to do that... there is an application process with GM...

Would I be hazed if I showed up in my - soon to be replaced - Civic? Seeing the guts of this motor would be amazing!!! I'd drive down from Connecticut.

David

mczajka said:
Great to see you got two of them. Where in Maryland are you? I'd like to do a meetup for Spark EV owners, but it's tough coming up with a centralized location. We're doing a gathering at the GM plant just north of Baltimore, where they make the Spark EV motors, on the 17th of this month (it's a car show with an entry fee - we had a great time last year). There is an SAE Combo station near BWI though, and a few others in the area.

Mark
http://www.mdvolt.org

Hey Mark,
We're in Bowie. Thanks for the invitation and the tip about the new charging station near BWI. I'm not much into car shows but the factory tour the day before is intriguing, especially a close-up of the motor. My jaw dropped when I learned one of the drive shafts passes co-axially back through the motor shaft. How cool is that!

I have the "GM visit request form" from the Lead HR rep at the GM Baltimore Operations.
I spoke with him on the phone and it sounded promising about getting a group tour set up for Friday, Oct 16th.
I contacted Mark about this.

We need someone nearer the Baltimore Ops site to spearhead a group tour request.

I live in Kansas City.... I'll fly in for a mini vacation if this tour is set up !

Shouldn't this be a new thread? There may be many owners that would be interested if they knew about this?

NORTON said:
I have the "GM visit request form" from the Lead HR rep at the GM Baltimore Operations.
I spoke with him on the phone and it sounded promising about getting a group tour set up for Friday, Oct 16th.
I contacted Mark about this.

We need someone nearer the Baltimore Ops site to spearhead a group tour request.

I live in Kansas City.... I'll fly in for a mini vacation if this tour is set up !

Shouldn't this be a new thread? There may be many owners that would be interested if they knew about this?

I'm still interested but since this is on a weekday, I won't know until a day or two before whether I can make it. :(

Back