Sparky charging time calculation goes haywire

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chasinmytail

The car has done this twice to me and I wonder if someone else has seen it. I have the charging setup to rate charging and the cheapest rate is between 12-5 AM. Last night I plug the car in with 21 mile range left at 7 pm. The car starts charging in immediately and tells me it will be done at 5am. That doesn't sound right since I have a 240 Bosch EVSM. I unplugged it and plugged it back at 12. It was done at 4:45 am.
The other time when it did the same thing, I left it plugged in and it was done by 1 am.
Has anyone experience something similar?
Thanks chasing
PS. I don't have the 40% I immediate charging enabled

Are you sure you have your charge times set up correctly?

If you plug in the EVSE, un-plug, then plug in again within a few seconds, the car considers that a request to charge immediately.

SteveC5088 said:
Are you sure you have your charge times set up correctly?

If you plug in the EVSE, un-plug, then plug in again within a few seconds, the car considers that a request to charge immediately.
I'm aware of that behavior but I have not plugged and unplugged the charger. I have also triple checked the setting and it is set at rate charge. I'll keep an eye out to see if I can consistently reproduce the behavior. The only thing common in both cases has been the battery range being around 20 miles.

Maybe it depends on the day of the week, your departure time setting and the time of day.

Check all of these settings. Getting them all correct is tricky.

Charge Mode: Immediately / Departure Time / Rate & Departure Time

Departure times: each day can be different.

Charge Rate Preference (Charge during Peak, Mid-Peak, Off-Peak -- anytime, mid-and-off-Pk, or Off-pk-only?)

Electric Rate Plan (Summer/Winter or Yearly)
Summer Start & Winter Start (make sure the dates are correct)
Electric Rate schedule ( check summer & winter, or yearly )

Priority Charging (on/off) --charges immediately up to 40% charged.

FYI: Horn chirps (I hate that loud, dull horn!)
1 chirp: Charging has begun immediately
2 chirps: Charging is delayed (due to rate programming)
4 chirps: Insufficient time to complete charging by departure time.

SteveC5088 said:
Maybe it depends on the day of the week, your departure time setting and the time of day.

Check all of these settings. Getting them all correct is tricky.

Charge Mode: Immediately / Departure Time / Rate & Departure Time

Departure times: each day can be different.

Charge Rate Preference (Charge during Peak, Mid-Peak, Off-Peak -- anytime, mid-and-off-Pk, or Off-pk-only?)

Electric Rate Plan (Summer/Winter or Yearly)
Summer Start & Winter Start (make sure the dates are correct)
Electric Rate schedule ( check summer & winter, or yearly )

Priority Charging (on/off) --charges immediately up to 40% charged.

FYI: Horn chirps (I hate that loud, dull horn!)
1 chirp: Charging has begun immediately
2 chirps: Charging is delayed (due to rate programming)
4 chirps: Insufficient time to complete charging by departure time.

Well it did it again and now I have pictures to prove it. See below for all the screen:
This is the main display. As you can see it says 22 miles of range left. As I mentioned, I only notice this problem when range is close to 20 mile mark.
TZJLr0g.jpg

Here is the main charging screen. As you can see, it wants to start at 7:40 PM and it will be done at 5 AM. This is crazy considering that a full charge from 0 should only take a little over 7 hours, not 9h 20 min for adding 66 mile range.
9FUOEbl.jpg

Just for reference I'm adding the setting for rate setting:
wSNfrVE.jpg

Y7ZaESx.jpg

As a side note, I changed the departure time to 5 AM and changed the Charge Mode to departure Time. Then it showed the start time as 11:55 PM and Finish Time as 5:00 AM, which sounds reasonable.
Can anyone reproduce this problem?
Thanks Chasin

I have the same problem. No matter how I set the timed charging, it always starts charging right away. I've not bothered to take it into the dealer as I'm sure they would not know how to deal with it. I just set an alarm for 9pm to plug the car in.

There was a Chevy engineer on this forum who asked me to capture a bunch of information, take photos etc., for troubleshooting. I did all that and never heard back.

There was another poster here who reported same kind of timed charging issues. It's not just you.

There's definitely a software problem here....

Alan

I also sent an email to GM Electric Vehicle Team with the same info and probably call them next week if I don't hear back. I find it strange that I don't see it reported more. I would think all the Sparks have the same software build and picking the right time to charge is such an important feature (especially since we have to change to Time Of Use with our electrical company).

Sesamecrunch said:
I have the same problem. No matter how I set the timed charging, it always starts charging right away. I've not bothered to take it into the dealer as I'm sure they would not know how to deal with it. I just set an alarm for 9pm to plug the car in.

There was a Chevy engineer on this forum who asked me to capture a bunch of information, take photos etc., for troubleshooting. I did all that and never heard back.

There was another poster here who reported same kind of timed charging issues. It's not just you.

There's definitely a software problem here....

Alan
Not a real surprise, but yet another confirmation. I set up my charging schedule pretty much just like the pictures above and every time (so far only 3) battery approaches 20 miles to go, it starts charging immediately. It's like it say "No no no, you don't understand, you need to charge me and overnight thing is not gona do it" :)

Back