Suggestions: Dear Chevrolet

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Fix the torque-steer issues, poor handling under heavy acceleration
2. Relocate the clock to the top center of the dash
3. Improve lines of site for driver, i.e.: A-pillar, C-pillar angles/position
4. More reasonably priced smart-phone application data for GPS mapping (BringGo app)
5. Additional storage compartments for driver and passengers.
(I love the idea for a cell phone slot in the forward center console!)
6. Improved surface material for the lower edge of the rear hatch opening. I have noticed significant scratching and wear after only several uses (loading/unloading equipment).

- EeVeeDriver

I'm only going to focus on the ones that are Software upgradeable (i.e. feasible in the short term)

- Allow the OnStar app to control the temperature for the remote start. Often times you need the settings different when you get in the car early in the morning compared to when you parked it the day/night before.
- Better Android support. It is currently quite poor, can't quite understand why they focused so much on iPhones...
- Better Energy graphic. This one is a minor one, but the graphic that shows the current going from your battery to the wheels when accelerating, and from the wheels to the battery on regen is quite bad from a UI point of view. The colors are all the same and it's often impossible to tell at a glance which direction the animation is going in.

scotte said:
iletric said:
And what's up with this "radio won't go off when you power the vehicle down and leave it? It supposedly goes on for another 10 minutes? NEVER seen that before in any car I ever owned.

It's quite common - the last 5 vehicles I've owned, including the Spark, have had this feature and from a mix of manufacturers.
I have no Spark EV, but I like this feature. It seems to be present on virtually every GM vehicle I've rented in the past 10 years. IIRC, the stereo will shut it off when you open the driver's door.

It's great to be able to keep listening to the stereo until you actually leave. Otherwise, on other cars, you have to leave the car's ignition on, or you need to take extra steps to put it into ACC mode and have music interrupted.
iletric said:
Not a single car of mine... They're all Hondas or Acuras. And the Leaf too. Music's over as soon as you power the car down.
That's the reason. From my experience, it's a GM feature.

I actually wish more vehicles would have it. So far, no Nissans and Toyotas I've encountered have it (between my parents and myself, we have or had 4 Nissans and 4 Toyotas).

This issue must be the same in all Sparks, gas or electric (I would think).

My son, who is 5' 6" has been complaining that the back seat headrests can't be locked into position low enough for his comfort. I paid no attention until a friend who is the same size was riding and made the same complaint.

So I checked it out: in the lowest locked position, their heads are right against the hard lower edge of the headrest. If you put it higher they don't have the right protection. They've taken to putting it lower so their heads can match up with the softer middle of the headrest, but then the headrest is not locked in place.

CHEVY: PUT SOME MORE NOTCHES ON THE RODS THAT HOLD UP THE HEADRESTS!

I just test drove the Spark EV LT2...

A few things I wish the car had:

- integrated indicator lights in side mirrors like the standard Spark...why omit these on the EV..that's just stupid
- HID lights...a must in cars these days IMO particularly for efficiency.
- LED lights and accents here and there...far more efficient than standard bulbs.
- better quality interior and exterior...this thing is a sea of plastic and not very good plastic either....come on...compete with regular cars at least in this price range!
- slightly tighter suspension please...it wallows around considerably
- better sound system...terrible budget radio and speakers.

That's it.

nozferatu said:
- LED lights and accents here and there...far more efficient than standard bulbs.
I thought that too, but it turns out that the halogen bulbs the spark uses are already pretty efficient. They barely consume half a mile of range per hour: http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3460&hilit=bulb

better quality interior and exterior...this thing is a sea of plastic and not very good plastic either....come on...compete with regular cars at least in this price range!
Really? The ICE spark is a $12k car! Is there any car in the $12-13k range that isn't a sea of cheap plastic?

fengshui said:
nozferatu said:
I thought that too, but it turns out that the halogen bulbs the spark uses are already pretty efficient. They barely consume half a mile of range per hour: http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3460&hilit=bulb

better quality interior and exterior...this thing is a sea of plastic and not very good plastic either....come on...compete with regular cars at least in this price range!
Really? The ICE spark is a $12k car! Is there any car in the $12-13k range that isn't a sea of cheap plastic?

Well I'd agree with you if the car was $12K...but it's not! It's $27K...they could at least do some upgrades for the EV model to make it more appealing...I mean come on..how much more would it cost to use slightly upgraded plastics or materials? Also, as I mentioned earlier...they've removed some features from the EV...such as side blinkers on the mirrors...why??

nozferatu said:
fengshui said:
nozferatu said:

Well I'd agree with you if the car was $12K...but it's not! It's $27K...they could at least do some upgrades for the EV model to make it more appealing...I mean come on..how much more would it cost to use slightly upgraded plastics or materials? Also, as I mentioned earlier...they've removed some features from the EV...such as side blinkers on the mirrors...why??
A standard back-up camera would be nice as well. May have to wait for the 2015 version if there even is one. The Spark sold in South Korea has an optional Back-up camera.

I will bet it costs far more than you think to upgrade the plastics and materials. When you consider the spark ev will have 500-1000 units per year the "pay back" on any R&D will be years/decades. Since by all acounts they are losing money on every car I dont expect to see any "upgrades" beyond software any time soon. Personally I am suprised they even have the two models. As for why they delete the side view mirrors could it be the ev mirrors are more aero? I know there are several body changes aimed at lower drag. Guessing here. Heck I am guessing on both but when you look at the IC spark the cost is spread accross 70,000-90,000 units per year? Huge difference.

supcrds said:
I will bet it costs far more than you think to upgrade the plastics and materials. When you consider the spark ev will have 500-1000 units per year the "pay back" on any R&D will be years/decades. Since by all acounts they are losing money on every car I dont expect to see any "upgrades" beyond software any time soon. Personally I am suprised they even have the two models. As for why they delete the side view mirrors could it be the ev mirrors are more aero? I know there are several body changes aimed at lower drag. Guessing here. Heck I am guessing on both but when you look at the IC spark the cost is spread accross 70,000-90,000 units per year? Huge difference.

I don't think so....my Fiat 500 isn't much more expensive than the Spark...yet I think it has a far superior interior than the Spark.

Perhaps due to low volume it may cost more true I agree there..but I doubt it's as much as you think...it's simply an option on select cars that...for all practical purposes, are built on the same assembly line as the standard Spark. The Fiat 500E has about the same price differential between my car as does the Spark to Spark EV....and it's volume is low too.

nozferatu said:
The Fiat 500E has about the same price differential between my car as does the Spark to Spark EV....and it's volume is low too.
And, Chrysler and Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne has complained loudly that he loses $10K in each Fiat 500e.

Examples below:
http://green.autoblog.com/2011/04/04/fiat-not-pleased-with-electric-vehicles-will-los-10-000-on-eac/
http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2013/04/chrysler-will-lose-10000-on-every-fiat-500e-marchionne-warns/

cwerdna said:
nozferatu said:
The Fiat 500E has about the same price differential between my car as does the Spark to Spark EV....and it's volume is low too.
And, Chrysler and Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne has complained loudly that he loses $10K in each Fiat 500e.

Examples below:
http://green.autoblog.com/2011/04/04/fiat-not-pleased-with-electric-vehicles-will-los-10-000-on-eac/
http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2013/04/chrysler-will-lose-10000-on-every-fiat-500e-marchionne-warns/

Of course he would...and you believe him...?

supcrds said:

The EV mirrors are definitely more aerodynamic than the mirrors on the ICE spark. That's probably where those went.

As for the cost, the A123 pack in the Spark EV probably runs over $10k alone. Add that to the $17k price of the upgraded Spark ICE, and you're pretty close to the EV price. They just don't have a lot of budget for nicer finishes, not to mention the R&D costs of doing them.

fengshui said:
supcrds said:

The EV mirrors are definitely more aerodynamic than the mirrors on the ICE spark. That's probably where those went.

As for the cost, the A123 pack in the Spark EV probably runs over $10k alone. Add that to the $17k price of the upgraded Spark ICE, and you're pretty close to the EV price. They just don't have a lot of budget for nicer finishes, not to mention the R&D costs of doing them.

That may be true..but my point is I'm sure that most EV buyers here would be willing to pay an extra $2-3K more for a few nice touches exclusive to the EV vehicles. I certainly would. There are not real R&D costs associated with upgraded interiors, nice lighting touches, etc...that's been done already even with car manufacturers like Hyundai!

How about location based charging profiles?

Charge immediately when not at home
Charge off-peak when at home (unless prompted)

I wanted that in my Volt for three years, but never got it... Seems so simple, given that there is a GPS built in. A simple geo-fence of 1/4 mile accuracy would be fine, IMHO.

nozferatu said:
That may be true..but my point is I'm sure that most EV buyers here would be willing to pay an extra $2-3K more for a few nice touches exclusive to the EV vehicles. I certainly would. There are not real R&D costs associated with upgraded interiors, nice lighting touches, etc...that's been done already even with car manufacturers like Hyundai!
You may be willing to pay $3K more, but for me one of the selling points of the Spark over the Leaf or the Fiat 500E or the Ford was that it was cheaper. If it cost the same, the Leaf and Ford are much bigger cars and the 500E is cuter. My top choice was the Fit EV because our gas Fit is a great car, but you apparently have to be born on the waiting list to get one.

That said, once we drove the Spark we decided it was such a good driver that we bought it on the spot before even driving the Leaf or Ford. But we would not have been at the Chevy dealer first if it had not had the price advantage.

Oberon said:
nozferatu said:
You may be willing to pay $3K more, but for me one of the selling points of the Spark over the Leaf or the Fiat 500E or the Ford was that it was cheaper. If it cost the same, the Leaf and Ford are much bigger cars and the 500E is cuter. My top choice was the Fit EV because our gas Fit is a great car, but you apparently have to be born on the waiting list to get one.

That said, once we drove the Spark we decided it was such a good driver that we bought it on the spot before even driving the Leaf or Ford. But we would not have been at the Chevy dealer first if it had not had the price advantage.
Indeed, the only reasons EVs sell at all (other than Tesla) is because the government subsidies bring the price down from 'ridiculous' to merely 'still too expensive for what you get, but workable for some with the right motivation'. And most EVs are still optioned up to the max of what their ICE equivalents have, although as Nissan has demonstrated with the LEAF S, there's a fair number of people who would get an electric car without many of the fancy doodads, if it brings the price down. Many more would be willing to pay $2-3k more for a bigger battery/better range, and forget the fancy stuff, or better yet the same price for a bigger battery, without the bells and whistles.

I expect we'll see the 2014 iMiEV sales improve considerably thanks to the new much lower price and more options made standard, even though it's range remains way too short for most people.

gra said:
Indeed, the only reasons EVs sell at all (other than Tesla) is because the government subsidies bring the price down from 'ridiculous' to merely 'still too expensive for what you get, but workable for some with the right motivation'.
Actually, in our case the Spark EV was a stone bargain. We have two drivers, one daily, one occasional, and about 90% of our annual 12k miles are within the Sparks range. Our cars were a new Honda Fit and a 20 year old Accord (great car, but pretty well used up with 1/4 million miles). With the Spark we get to drive a new fun car that is easy to park and nimble in traffic while reducing our CO2 footprint instead of putting a bunch of miles on the Fit and hoping the Accord holds out. Over the three years of the lease it works out net of everything to cost less than $50 per month for the Spark vs keeping the Accord. If we drove a bit more it would work out to be free.

Plus, we love the Spark. The Fit is a great small car, probably the benchmark car in the segment, but my wife and I argue over whose turn it is to take the Spark because it's so great to drive. Having lived with an electric for a few months I can't see ever buying another ICE car. So while cheap is good, the experience is also a reason electrics will sell once people have more exposure to them.

Back