Suspension Upgrades

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before getting too complicated and spending a significant amount of cash for unknown gains. Try a just set of super sticky tires and some competition shock absorbers first. The last little bit of 0.02g of gain with springs probably can't be felt or measured.

Unless you completely redesign the upper strut mount, I don't think it would help. There's no easy way to bolt one in and the upper strut mount relies on the compliance there for rotation.

I'd love for you to prove me wrong! I've stared at it a bit with no magnificent ideas.

Bryce

I don't do a lot of highway driving but when I took my baby home on the highway the floaty feeling was definitely there. I have had coilovers and traditional spring/strut changes, and for the money I'd go for struts on this. Does anyone know if any of the majors (Koni, Bilstein, Tokico) offer performance struts/dampers for our car? I'm assuming it's different than ICE Sparks.

Even if you turn it into a stiff suspended autocrosser,, it is still, proportionately, a short, tall box of a car.
Buffeting cross winds will be felt. Grooved payment will be felt.

Just hang in there. GM is due to download the Auto Pilot SW upgrade over the air any day now. Then you won't have to deal with it on the highway !!!

NORTON said:
Even if you turn it into a stiff suspended autocrosser,, it is still, proportionately, a short, tall box of a car.
Buffeting cross winds will be felt. Grooved payment will be felt.

Just hang in there. GM is due to download the Auto Pilot SW upgrade over the air any day now. Then you won't have to deal with it on the highway !!!
250px-Airplane_screenshot_Haggerty_Nielsen.jpg

Casualsurfer said:
I don't do a lot of highway driving but when I took my baby home on the highway the floaty feeling was definitely there. I have had coilovers and traditional spring/strut changes, and for the money I'd go for struts on this. Does anyone know if any of the majors (Koni, Bilstein, Tokico) offer performance struts/dampers for our car? I'm assuming it's different than ICE Sparks.

Tires

Full agreement on making the tire upgrade first. At 600 miles on the odo, I put a set of 195 BFG Comp-2 (they don't make a 185) on the factory wheels. Huge difference. I now have 1200 miles on the new tires. I have put these tires on a few other cars and have always liked them. Since I drive winding mountain roads a lot, I feel the benefit every day. Some loss of range, but it is worth it. It is the stiffer sidewalls of the V-rated tire that both makes it handle better and causes the loss of range. The rubber is stickier, too.

Tom

The Spark EV has just an ordinary trailing arm rear suspension with a twist link connecting the arms. The arms are located by a large pivot at the front of each arm. Twist link provides extra support laterally for the trailing arms and contributes the anti-roll stiffness that we all want.
Some confusion may be in the air because some of the Spark EV friends and relations in the GM family have added a Watt's linkage between the trailing arms for improved lateral support. The battery pack of the EV makes this feature a no-go for us. We should be careful with the suspensions (rear) of the EV since we have the weaker and more heavily loaded arrangement. A chilling set of photos have been posted elsewhere showing both rear trailing arms snapped off in a spinout accident with no impact apparent in the rear. Brittle cast iron arms. Do not over stress.
http://imgur.com/a/N6Z7M#aLnVk9X
The Spark EV was cruising in the HOV lane and clipped by an SUV in the R-Front.
As for the concept of a Z-bar, these were often found on Formula Vee racers to prevent the dreaded jacking of the rear swing axles that they had to use.

twinsemi said:
The Spark EV has just an ordinary trailing arm rear suspension with a twist link connecting the arms. The arms are located by a large pivot at the front of each arm. Twist link provides extra support laterally for the trailing arms and contributes the anti-roll stiffness that we all want.
Some confusion may be in the air because some of the Spark EV friends and relations in the GM family have added a Watt's linkage between the trailing arms for improved lateral support. The battery pack of the EV makes this feature a no-go for us. We should be careful with the suspensions (rear) of the EV since we have the weaker and more heavily loaded arrangement. A chilling set of photos have been posted elsewhere showing both rear trailing arms snapped off in a spinout accident with no impact apparent in the rear. Brittle cast iron arms. Do not over stress.
The Spark EV was cruising in the HOV lane and clipped by an SUV in the R-Front.
As for the concept of a Z-bar, these were often found on Formula Vee racers to prevent the dreaded jacking of the rear swing axles that they had to use.

I looked at the pics and winced. Any way to upgrade this down the road? I know it's an econobox but that didn't prevent people from modding Civics. But then again Civics sold in the millions...sigh

I've been daily driving my Spark EV with modified suspension for almost a year and a half (lowered and on stiffer springs and dampers). I've driven many autocross events on fairly rough pavement, hillclimbs on treacherous roads, track events at full race speed, and just normal spirited driving with sticky 200 treadwear tires. I've even spun out once before. Amazingly, my suspension hasn't fallen off the car yet. :shock: (That's me being sarcastic, in case you don't speak sarcasm)

Those photos with snapped rear suspension show the rear bodywork is clearly damaged. I'm not a forensic scientist, but I think it's possible the rear suspension didn't fall off from spinning out.

The rear suspension on the Spark EV is upgraded already. In order to support the extra load in the rear, there are several structural changes and suspension changes. The gas Spark and Spark EV suspensions are not interchangeable, as a result.

Bryce

Hey Bryce, any insights on what different parts we'll need for the coilovers? I don't think I saw an update on that. Thank you.

twinsemi said:
A chilling set of photos have been posted elsewhere showing both rear trailing arms snapped off in a spinout accident with no impact apparent in the rear. Brittle cast iron arms. Do not over stress.
Are you f-ing KIDDING ME?! I'm keeping this car off the freeway. W T F

JoeSchmoe said:
Are you f-ing KIDDING ME?! I'm keeping this car off the freeway. W T F

Joe, are you saying other cars don't come apart like this when in a collision on the highway?

It passed its safety testing. But to be even safer, I agree, you should stay on the back roads.

I agree with you, Joe. I've never seen such a lightly damaged car have wheels broken off. Of course there can always be more to the story, but it just looks bad. I'm still going to buy one and drive it on the highway, though. My top speed is usually limited to 70. If I go faster than that, I'll cross Connecticut in 3 minutes, missing my exit.
Yep, small state indeed.

David

Back