Test drive

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ObjetDart

While I languish on the wait list for a Honda Fit EV, I decided to go check out the Spark EV.

Our local Chevy dealer (Kendall Chevrolet in Eugene, Oregon) has a single LT2 in stock. It "magically" appeared on the lot about 2 days after I first called to ask about the Spark EV. (This isn't the first time that's happened with this dealership. I think that when someone inquiries about any specific model, if they don't have it they go out and immediately bring one in from another dealer in the state. Then they call you up and say "guess what, the car you were asking about just came in!" Anyway. )

Took it for a test drive yesterday (Friday). First time I've ever driven any EV. Very impressed by the power and handling. Even more impressive after activating "Sport" mode. The dash display was friendly & intuitive. All around a very solid and impressive little car.

Sales staff were friendly and helpful, not too pushy. They are clearly still learning about the EV, they barely knew any more about it than I did from my online research.

I can confirm that, as others have said, despite this being an LT2, it does *not* have the fast charger installed.

I'm only interested in leasing. The terms they quoted me were: $1,140 up front and $235/month for a 3 year lease, 10K annual mile limit (I asked for the 10K quote because it's very unlikely we'll drive it more than that.) They did not break down the $1,140 for me but swore it covered everything, including down payment, first month's payment, dealer costs, and DMV fees. There is no sales tax in Oregon.

They said the $235/month is because it is an LT2. The LT1 leases for $199/month but they don't have one of those. The thing I don't get is, without the fast charger, what is even the point of an LT2? I'm not paying $36 more per month for fake leather seats.

If it had the fast charger installed, I would be very, very tempted. As it stands, I can't justify paying the extra $ for the LT2 without the fast charger, it just doesn't make sense to me.

ObjetDart said:
While I languish on the wait list for a Honda Fit EV, I decided to go check out the Spark EV.

Our local Chevy dealer (Kendall Chevrolet in Eugene, Oregon) has a single LT2 in stock. It "magically" appeared on the lot about 2 days after I first called to ask about the Spark EV. (This isn't the first time that's happened with this dealership. I think that when someone inquiries about any specific model, if they don't have it they go out and immediately bring one in from another dealer in the state. Then they call you up and say "guess what, the car you were asking about just came in!" Anyway. )

Took it for a test drive yesterday (Friday). First time I've ever driven any EV. Very impressed by the power and handling. Even more impressive after activating "Sport" mode. The dash display was friendly & intuitive. All around a very solid and impressive little car.

Sales staff were friendly and helpful, not too pushy. They are clearly still learning about the EV, they barely knew any more about it than I did from my online research.

I can confirm that, as others have said, despite this being an LT2, it does *not* have the fast charger installed.

I'm only interested in leasing. The terms they quoted me were: $1,140 up front and $235/month for a 3 year lease, 10K annual mile limit (I asked for the 10K quote because it's very unlikely we'll drive it more than that.) They did not break down the $1,140 for me but swore it covered everything, including down payment, first month's payment, dealer costs, and DMV fees. There is no sales tax in Oregon.

They said the $235/month is because it is an LT2. The LT1 leases for $199/month but they don't have one of those. The thing I don't get is, without the fast charger, what is even the point of an LT2? I'm not paying $36 more per month for fake leather seats.

If it had the fast charger installed, I would be very, very tempted. As it stands, I can't justify paying the extra $ for the LT2 without the fast charger, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Correct, the only difference on the 2LT trim level is the leatherette seats and the leather wrapped steering wheel. One dealer here in Southern California mentioned that the cars coming out in late summer (original timeframe) will have the fast charger included (or at least as an option). So far I have not had the need but in all reality the fast charger capability when away from home would seem needed more often so without fast charging stations, this is a mute point for me.

Today I went to visit a friend who lives about 25 miles from me (nearly all freeway) and I drove out there in the early afternoon (started out with a full charge) so since it was 92 degrees outside, I had the A/C on as we'll as the XM radio and my iPhone plugged in while using the BringGo app and the battery life was pretty good. I drove there, took him for a two mile test drive, drove past home, picked up so ice cream for the family and drove home. The battery still had 37% remaining when I got home after driving nearly 60 miles. Not too bad.

I considered the Honda Fit EV also, but it seemed pretty much impossible to even see one. Only one local Honda dealer got back to me, and they told me that to even take a test drive I would have to fill out all the paperwork, then get on a waiting list - and when my name came up, only then would they let me come look at a car and drive it. I thought it was really weird they are controlling access at that level, but I don't think they are releasing very many Fits, and it was probably just that dealership with this odd policy.

Note the Fit EV's monthly lease is still higher than the 2LT - though I agree that just the heated leatherette seats and steering wheel is not a compelling package. Maybe if it included a sunroof, or some other features. Still, I got a 2LT simply because that's what was available. ;)

scotte said:
I considered the Honda Fit EV also, but it seemed pretty much impossible to even see one. Only one local Honda dealer got back to me, and they told me that to even take a test drive I would have to fill out all the paperwork, then get on a waiting list - and when my name came up, only then would they let me come look at a car and drive it. I thought it was really weird they are controlling access at that level, but I don't think they are releasing very many Fits, and it was probably just that dealership with this odd policy.
Most or all Honda dealers are requiring you to be approved for the lease before they will put you on the wait list. Fortunately that can be done online at Honda's web site in about 15 minutes. I was able to get on the wait list here without physically visiting the dealership (the nearest Honda dealership certified to sell the Fit EV is an hour away, so that was nice!) I've read over at the Fit EV forum that some Honda dealers are requiring deposits as well before they will put you on the list, but that did not happen in my case.
I assume you can't test drive the Fit EV beforehand because nobody has one in stock to drive. Currently, as soon as a Fit comes in to a dealer, it goes right back out again to the next person on the list.
scotte said:
Note the Fit EV's monthly lease is still higher than the 2LT
That's true, but the Honda lease has: a) no money down, b) unlimited miles, and c) includes collision insurance. When you factor that in, especially the insurance part, I think the Honda lease is the best deal available of all the current crop of EV leases, which is probably why they are so hard to get!

ObjetDart said:
scotte said:
Most or all Honda dealers are requiring you to be approved for the lease before they will put you on the wait list. Fortunately that can be done online at Honda's web site in about 15 minutes. I was able to get on the wait list here without physically visiting the dealership (the nearest Honda dealership certified to sell the Fit EV is an hour away, so that was nice!) I've read over at the Fit EV forum that some Honda dealers are requiring deposits as well before they will put you on the list, but that did not happen in my case.
I assume you can't test drive the Fit EV beforehand because nobody has one in stock to drive. Currently, as soon as a Fit comes in to a dealer, it goes right back out again to the next person on the list.
scotte said:
Note the Fit EV's monthly lease is still higher than the 2LT
That's true, but the Honda lease has: a) no money down, b) unlimited miles, and c) includes collision insurance. When you factor that in, especially the insurance part, I think the Honda lease is the best deal available of all the current crop of EV leases, which is probably why they are so hard to get!

I too looked at getting the Honda Fit EV and was actually able to sit in one at a local dealership here in Southern California but could not test drive it because the car was already leased. Interestingly, I contacted our insurance company (Mercury) about getting a quote on adding the Fit to our policy and they had no way of quoting only liability and compensation coverage as collision is normally included in full coverage (couldn't separate the two). Anyway, I too am still on the Fit EV waiting list but decided to get the Spark EV instead.

When I closed my lease on a 2LT yesterday, the term was initially set at 10K miles per year but after explaining to the sales manager that my expectation was 12K per year, they agreed to up it without changing the cost of the lease.

One thing that it does is reduce the residual by about $1000 so that will potentially make a purchase of the car after the lease a bit more attractive. I do not expect to drive 36K miles over the lease but who knows?

I guess i am different I didnt want 1lt. I hate cloth due to ease of stains and hardness to clean. I also really like the way the steering wheel feels. Plus the baby blue is ugly enough blue cloth would just make it worse in my opinion.

I prefer leather(ette) over cloth as well, but for me the Spark fills a fairly narrow cost-oriented niche that I didn't really care. I have a 2LT simply because I couldn't find a 1LT (from a dealer participating in the $1000/$199 program) and I didn't feel like waiting until I could find one. Having said that, the 2LT still has way too much blue accents. ;)

Yea I agree the blue accent is the thing i diss-like the most. Its to CUTE. At least with tinted window you dont see it from the outside.

Back