Time Controlled Charging

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlinOC

Would an owner/lessor of a Spark EV please confirm that the Spark EV itself can be set to charge only during specified times even though it may be plugged into an active (home) charging station.

Since this vehicle is so new AND the sales person was too (second day) while he did a great job of regurgitating what he'd received training on, he had no answers to questions for which he had not specifically received information about. I landed in this forum in my quest for information about specific questions I have from people who should know. :)

The electrician installing the charging station seemed to think the Spark EV does have a time controlled charging "app" within the vehicle, but then I am his first Spark EV charging station installation. I know some other EVs have this feature, but I want to know for sure that the Spark EV does. The electrician may just be thinking that the Spark EV must have it because the others do. Well from what I've read, the Spark EV does NOT have the ChargePoint station location app, but some other EVs do.

So, when I get home from work at 6 PM and plug my Spark into the charging station, can I set the Spark so it won't start charging until midnight when I get cheap electricity?

TIA,
Carl in OC

It does have a delayed charging feature. I use immediate charge, but I did browse through it quickly and I saw two options for delayed charging.

1) Departure time - Timer for when you want it to be full by
2) Rate and Departure time - Charges based on when you want to leave and off-peak schedule

I also saw an option where the car would immediately charge to a certain percentage (I think it was 40%) and then stop until off-peak. I forget what they called it, but it seemed like it was for unforeseen trips or errands.

Yes, the Spark has a delayed charging feature. It's pretty good, actually. It's controlled through the infotainment system. You identify which time periods are considered Peak, mid-Peak and Off-Peak rates for your vehicle, and then can specify if you want to charge only at off-peak, off and mid-peak, or at any time. The car will not charge until the time you identify as charge-eligible.

A couple of tips:
If you plug in the car and the upcoming charge window is sufficient to fully charge the vehicle, you'll get a double-honk.
If the window is not sufficient to fully-charge, you'll get a quadruple-honk.
If you have delayed charging on, and you plug-in, immediately disconnect and re-plug in, it will over-ride the delaying charging setting and begin charging immediately.

There are detailed instructions on page 5-21 of the manual:
http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Ownership/Manuals%20and%20Videos/02_pdf/2k14spark_ev.pdf

fengshui said:
There are detailed instructions on page 5-21 of the manual:
http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Ownership/Manuals%20and%20Videos/02_pdf/2k14spark_ev.pdf
Thank you very much for this link. I figured the manual would be available on the 'net, but hadn't found it yet. Although that is certainly an obfuscated web address.

Maybe the forum admin would post the link as a sticky on the Chevy Spark EV Forum Home page for visitors who may have not yet received their Spark EV, like me and those who may have orders pending (for the Fast Charging option).

Thanks again.

Are the Bosch Charger credits easily transferable? Can they be combined so one can buy a nicer one?

I used my Bosch $500 credit toward a PowerMax 30A and only ended up paying $174 with shipping. Nice robust charger with a thick cord. My understanding is that the credit is tied to the VIN of the car since I had to send in my registration to show proof of purchase. I've heard some selling the Bosch once they get it and buying other brands but don't think it's transferable.

Back