Tires

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep in mind that the newer the tires are, the worse their rolling resistance will be. The first 1000 miles are especially noticeable. This makes it really obvious when you go from really "good" (bald) tires to "bad" (fresh) tires, even if they're the same model of tire.

Bryce

TireRack lists Kumho Ecstas for the Spark EV, looks like they make a high performance all season tire. Any experiences with Kumhos?

I think the first thing I would/will do is swap tires. I'm willing to give up some range to gain traction, especially wet and cold traction. And tires are so cheap in this size ;)

nikwax said:
Any experiences with Kumhos?

No personal experience, but a dire warning about wet traction in a review on Amazon.

http://smile.amazon.com/Kumho-Ecsta-KU25-All-Season-Tire/product-reviews/B004QL6DXC

StevesWeb said:
nikwax said:
Any experiences with Kumhos?

No personal experience, but a dire warning about wet traction in a review on Amazon.

http://smile.amazon.com/Kumho-Ecsta-KU25-All-Season-Tire/product-reviews/B004QL6DXC

I'd take it with a grain of salt. I had Kumho's on past cars and they were terrific tires all around. Especially in dry, man they grip like crazy.

I never ever had problems in the wet either. They are predictable tires. Give you a lot of feedback before they break lose around a corner.

I'm going to want to replace the summer only stock tires fairly soon. The Pirellis look like the best bet for an all season that has relatively low rolling resistance...at least, I think they do.

Can I put 195's all around? That would open up some more choices.

nikwax said:
Can I put 195's all around? That would open up some more choices.

Yes. As I've documented here, it's a tight squeeze but 195s will fit in front. You still won't be able to rotate the wheels front to rear.

Bryce

nozferatu said:
I'd take it with a grain of salt. I had Kumho's on past cars and they were terrific tires all around. Especially in dry, man they grip like crazy.

I never ever had problems in the wet either. They are predictable tires. Give you a lot of feedback before they break lose around a corner.

OK then, I trust your opinion more than Joe Random. I'm still working on making my OEMs bald, when it's ready there is an America's Tire very close by. I might go with the Kumhos

I have 205/50-15 KUMHO ECSTA ASTs on all 4 stock wheels. There is no rub in the front, I am happy with this size.
I am glad I pushed it and didn't settle for 195 all the way around. Range has slightly decreased, but worth it to be rid of the OEM tires.

That's tough to say, even with the stock tires and my aggressive driving, I never got more than 5 kWh/mile. The highway driving at 80mph to/from work is what really kills my range.

Right now, when my car is fully charged, I have an average range of 68 miles (3.4 kWh/mile). When I first received the car, a full charge would give me 73 miles (3.65 kWh/mile), and it's never been much higher than that.

I hope that helps.

gomersrocket said:
I have 205/50-15 KUMHO ECSTA ASTs on all 4 stock wheels. There is no rub in the front, I am happy with this size.
I am glad I pushed it and didn't settle for 195 all the way around. Range has slightly decreased, but worth it to be rid of the OEM tires.

Pictures or it never happened! :p

-Bob K.

I live in San Francisco, and the rainy season is just starting. I started leasing my Spark at the end of April, and have been driving on the stock tires, Bridgestone Ecopia. My daily commute is typically 11 miles. To work is mostly downhill, and the return trip, uphill.

I decided to replace the tires, and then put the originals back on when I return the car, for two reasons: I heard that I would need to replace them anyway when the lease is up, because of the wear, and wanted to get some benefit out of the tires I'd be purchasing. Also, I have a higher tolerance for a decrease in range in exchange for better traction. Otherwise I would drive the gas guzzling car in the rain.

As it stands, according to my OnLink stats, I have 101 MPGe @ 1396 miles. When I use the heater the range is drastically reduced, and for the most part, during August and September, I did not. But now I'm back to using the heater, again.

Because of the great feedback about the Ascend tires, I decided to replace mine with those. But those tires work only on the front (size is 185x55x15). However the rear tires are 195x55x15, and although the salesman said they could put the same, smaller, tires on the back he recommended the larger ones because the battery (weight) is back there. He recommended using the same brand for all four tires, and found one called an Avid Envigor. It looked good, but I hadn't researched it. I decided to go for it. They changed my front tires, but I need to go in next week for the Envigors.

Today, I read some not-so-glowing reviews of the Envigor. Most of the complaint wouldn't impact me. For example I don't put a lot of miles on the car (apparently they can wear down within 30k miles) and I don't drive in snow ( they don't perform well in the snow).

My main concern is driving around hilly, slick curves, and still being able to take advantage of the torque.

Any advice on whether I should change my order?

A side note is that driving back with the Ascends up front, the ride felt better, and I didn't hear any squealing from the front when I would come to a stop. Cannot comment on the range, yet.

gomersrocket said:

Pics?

JSBSF said:
I live in San Francisco, and the rainy season is just starting. I started leasing my Spark at the end of April, and have been driving on the stock tires, Bridgestone Ecopia. My daily commute is typically 11 miles. To work is mostly downhill, and the return trip, uphill.

I decided to replace the tires, and then put the originals back on when I return the car, for two reasons: I heard that I would need to replace them anyway when the lease is up, because of the wear, and wanted to get some benefit out of the tires I'd be purchasing. Also, I have a higher tolerance for a decrease in range in exchange for better traction. Otherwise I would drive the gas guzzling car in the rain.

As it stands, according to my OnLink stats, I have 101 MPGe @ 1396 miles. When I use the heater the range is drastically reduced, and for the most part, during August and September, I did not. But now I'm back to using the heater, again.

Because of the great feedback about the Ascend tires, I decided to replace mine with those. But those tires work only on the front (size is 185x55x15). However the rear tires are 195x55x15, and although the salesman said they could put the same, smaller, tires on the back he recommended the larger ones because the battery (weight) is back there. He recommended using the same brand for all four tires, and found one called an Avid Envigor. It looked good, but I hadn't researched it. I decided to go for it. They changed my front tires, but I need to go in next week for the Envigors.

Today, I read some not-so-glowing reviews of the Envigor. Most of the complaint wouldn't impact me. For example I don't put a lot of miles on the car (apparently they can wear down within 30k miles) and I don't drive in snow ( they don't perform well in the snow).

My main concern is driving around hilly, slick curves, and still being able to take advantage of the torque.

Any advice on whether I should change my order?

A side note is that driving back with the Ascends up front, the ride felt better, and I didn't hear any squealing from the front when I would come to a stop. Cannot comment on the range, yet.

Probably safe to say: any tire will outperform the OE tires in every respect except for rolling resistance.

You can put 195/55/15 on all four wheels. That will open up a lot more choices for you.

I just put these on my '14 but only on the front. 195/50R-15 HANKOOK VENTUS R-S3 (VERSION 2) XL They are an ultra high performance tire and are sticky as heck.

So far the handling and grip is massively improved. Probably some reduction in range but leaving the O.E. tires in the back may help.

Personally, I'd also put a high performance tire in back, just to keep the handling at the limit from being too weird. A few % hit to range won't matter if you wrap it around a tree!

Hello,

I drive a lot, almost like 40 miles a day.

As I read that I have to get/pay for new tires upon lease return. So, I am thinking to replace my tires and will put back stock tire during lease turn-in.

I don't feel very confident with these tires. It takes a while to stop and poor grip.
Can anyone please suggest which tires should I go with ?

Def better than stock and give more confident.

Thanks,
Abhi

Back