Used Spark EV import to Colorado plan

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't actually think finding a dealer that would help service a Spark EV would be difficult. I always encourage people to buy the Spark EV out-of-state.

I meant that everything about actually servicing the car should be very simple. I see no reason why they wouldn't as least let their Volt tech try to service the car, but if they aren't an official service center they aren't obligated to help you.

If you keep your car long enough Bolt techs nationwide will definitely be able to fix your Spark.

mickeybiosense said:
Your talking nonsense. I live in Texas purchase a brand new spark EV in California ship car back to Texas. Chevy dealer in northern Houston had no issues servicing the car. They put the volt tech on it twice the car been at dealer
mickey,
Thanks for the encouraging words! I hope it is that simple. Did you talk to this dealer before purchasing your Spark EV?

I just don't want any surprises like having every Chevy dealer in town tell me "No Thanks. We can't help you."
Maybe 'I'm talking nonsense' , but I want to see the official policy from GM.
Does the Spark EV Owner's Manual address servicing when out of state?

And then I'd like to ask about the way you got your car to Texas? Car hauling service? What about towing with a pickup and the front wheels on a dolly?

Did not speak to dealer in advance. I have a little attitude lol that Chevy is a Chevy therefore GM has to fix it by law no matter where the car is. The dealer in Houston Munday Chevrolet was very happy to address any needs on vehicle. They put their volt tech on it. I even had a software re flash with new issues. They always did a great job on my volt there should be no reason not to fix spark

mickeybiosense said:
.....They always did a great job on my volt there should be no reason not to fix spark...

Funny, I'm coming from 1.5 yrs in a '13 Volt ! I really want to try life with an 82 mile BEV.
I thought I would go for a Gen 2 Volt. I have an old hybrid to get me by. But now I can see keeping the hybrid and buying a Spark EV for +85% of my driving.

I can't say good things about my experience with having the Volt serviced. But I loved the car and I highly recommend them!
My service history was just bad luck and a series of unfortunate events.

What I'd like to do is talk to the Volt techs at the different dealerships. Find one that likes the Volt and is not afraid to work on it. Maybe even drives one!

I'm still doing my research on this car. I would like a DC Fast Charge for future proofing. The older gen has the A123 cells and a higher kWh rating,, is this correct?
What else is there to watch for?

after a few years in the making, i am the owner of a gently used 2014 spark ev. Love this car so far - it climbs my 25 mile, 3000 ft daily commute home like a champ, and i get most of it back on the way down the hill. GreenEyed Motors in boulder has lots of different used imported EVs/Plug ins, so take advantage of the Colorado rebates on used imports - only lasts for the rest of 2016...

Free L2 charging at work next to all the volts and leafs, and 120 outlet in my driveway for winter preconditioning.

A few questions i will be investigating:
-Best balance of all season snow tires and LRR for 4 tires all the same size
-What does the sport button really do? how much more kW does it allow? pretty sporty without the button pushed.
-Does the free mylink app transfer to a second owner? Or do i have to pay for this? have not called onstar yet...
-anyone carry tire chains for emergency winter driving? Hate to get stuck on the steep hill in a few inches of snow.

thanks all for the great reviews - your conversations convinced me this is the best EV on the market (not named a tesla).

.... Nice! You won't be sorry. And you're following my method of nothing but free public charging , but plugging in at home during the coldest times of the year for battery TMS.
below
colordosparkev said:
If you have more range than you need why even bother with LRR tires?
I was told by Tire Rack that they have a steel wheel that fits front and back.(I'm skeptical)
I was considering getting them mounted with winter tires. But you'd have to buy TPMS for the wheels because I read here that the car will not move without it. A flat front tire and you're stuck.
Besides, with climate change my winters are getting less and less snow. Probably not the case in CO , right?

-What does the sport button really do? how much more kW does it allow? pretty sporty without the button pushed.
It only changes the mapping of the GO pedal. Full Pedal = Full Power, no matter which mode.
-Does the free mylink app transfer to a second owner? Or do i have to pay for this? have not called onstar yet...
Good question. I bought mine used through a Chevy dealer and got 3 yrs free. You might call Chevy customer service and try to talk to a member in the EV group. Good Luck, it's awesome to have your car txt you when it's done charging and being able to 'Pre-Heat or Cool the car.
-anyone carry tire chains for emergency winter driving? Hate to get stuck on the steep hill in a few inches of snow.
I considered the 'Snow Cables' or 'Snow Socks'. I guess you know about CO's policy on snow chains or equivalent.

thanks all for the great reviews - your conversations convinced me this is the best EV on the market (not named a tesla).

Miles and cost??? ;) If you don't mind. My daughter is moving to San Diego and wants an EV.

colordosparkev said:

I can't answer everything but:
There are many threads about tires here. Don't know if anybody has discussed snows yet.

The sport mode only changes the response curve of the accelerator. No more power is available, it's just available with less of a press on the pedal. AKA, a gimmick.

OnStar

From their website
All 2014 and newer GM vehicles come with limited OnStar services standard for 5 years. »

New! The OnStar Basic Plan now comes standard on 2014 model year and newer Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles for five years from the date of new vehicle delivery. Plus, it is available to owners of eligible pre-owned, 2011 model year or newer vehicles for three years.
1 The OnStar Basic Plan is available for up to 5 years from the original delivery date on new, eligible 2014a model year and newerb vehicles and is transferable; and for three years for new subscribers of eligible 2011 model year or newer, OnStar-equipped, pre-owned vehicles. Basic Plan includes Advanced Diagnostics, Dealer Maintenance Notification, and access to RemoteLink mobile app features.

No chains. Per the owner's manual, easily confirmed by a visual inspection, the clearances are tight, tight, tight. That's also why you can't rotate the stock wheels front and back - damage to the calipers will result.

NORTON said:
My daughter is moving to San Diego and wants an EV.
Why not SparkEV? I see http://www.qualitychevy.com/VehicleDetails/new-2016-Chevrolet-Spark_EV-Hatch_2LT_%28Automatic%29-Escondido-CA/2779598653 in San Diego at $20K pre subsidy (if CA rebate comes back + fed tax credit = $10K), but a drive to NoCal would have $39/mo lease at http://www.chevroletoffremont.com/Specials/new.

SparkevBlogspot said:
NORTON said:
My daughter is moving to San Diego and wants an EV.
Why not SparkEV? I see http://www.qualitychevy.com/VehicleDetails/new-2016-Chevrolet-Spark_EV-Hatch_2LT_%28Automatic%29-Escondido-CA/2779598653 in San Diego at $20K pre subsidy (if CA rebate comes back + fed tax credit = $10K), but a drive to NoCal would have $39/mo lease at http://www.chevroletoffremont.com/Specials/new.
Carefully check what Fremont Chevrolet is offering. I looked at the 2016 Spark EVs on their website and, looking at the window stickers, many of the "special sale" cars did not have the quick charge option. Those that did were more expensive.

Thanks all. Base onstar/mylink functionality setup and tested. Nice. After colorado tax credits- about $13.5 kilobucks with 18k miles. 2lt and no fast charger. Wont use sport mode- just push go more. Are only the tires different sizes, or the wheels too? Should fit a low-profile chains just in case. Will get some non-llr snow tires this fall- until them have fun with the old ones.

my windshield whiper fluid doesnt spay? Reservoir is filled. Anyone have a simple fix? Might take a visit to local chevy dealership and put the remaining warranty to work.

thanks all.

After a few weeks daily driving this go-cart to and from work 50 miles a day, i am impressed. After spending years researching and understanding EVs, i have to say we all made a good choice. such a joy to drive twice a day - the EV grin is real and repeatable. If the Bolt really has sub-7 second 0-60 times, 200+ miles range, and similar spark EV user interfaces, it will be a very good car. fast, efficient, quiet, not smelly, solar powered, dare i say meditative to drive, and no more sketchy gas stations! none of all that in my camping weekend trips in the VW vanagon...Thanks again all for helping me find and research my spark ev.
Shanti.

colordosparkev said:
Thanks all. Base onstar/mylink functionality setup and tested. Nice. After colorado tax credits- about $13.5 kilobucks with 18k miles. 2lt and no fast charger. Wont use sport mode- just push go more. Are only the tires different sizes, or the wheels too? Should fit a low-profile chains just in case. Will get some non-llr snow tires this fall- until them have fun with the old ones.

my windshield whiper fluid doesnt spay? Reservoir is filled. Anyone have a simple fix? Might take a visit to local chevy dealership and put the remaining warranty to work.

thanks all.
Front tires / rims and rear tires / rims are different sizes. There is a F or R identifier on the rim by the tire air valve. Tire rotation can only be done right to left - not front to back. Tire size on the front is different from the tire size on the rear.

Wiper sprayer problem - When you activate the sprayer, listen to see if you can hear the pump running. If it is running but not spraying, lift the hood and check to see if there is a kink in the main fluid supply hose. You might have to trace it back to the fluid reservoir. Try the rear wiper sprayer too. If the rear sprayer works then the power fuse is OK. If it does not work either, check fuse #15 - the Wash Fuse. You will need to refer to the owner's manual for fuse and circuit breaker locations. There is a Front Washer Relay (24) and a Rear Washer Relay (23). Remove the front washer relay (24) and reinsert it and see if that fixes the problem. If none of this works, then it is probably time to pay your local dealer a visit.

colordosparkev said:
.. and no more sketchy gas stations! none of all that in my camping weekend trips in the VW vanagon...Thanks again all for helping me find and research my spark ev.
Shanti.

And speaking of the future of EV camping , think silent Air Conditioning (when needed) !!! https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=hatchback+tent

Hi folks,
Like you all, I've been pining for a spark since they came out. When they started selling them in Baltimore (I live in NY), I started drooling; I was seeing used sparks there down to $15k. But then they disappeared.

My family is in San Diego (that's close enough for me) and I go there occasionally. LSS, on the last trip checked out a couple dealers there and ... my leased 2016 Spark EV followed me home a few weeks later, delivered by a car carrier ($1000!).

Not for the faint of heart. Took nearly another month to jump through all the hoops to get it on the road, 1 of them almost a 'can't get there from here' hoop about car insurance. I'd wager that it may be the only spark ev in NY.

But now I'm loving driving it and have a lot to catch up with on this forum!

Davedly said:
Hi folks,
Like you all, I've been pining for a spark since they came out. When they started selling them in Baltimore (I live in NY), I started drooling; I was seeing used sparks there down to $15k. But then they disappeared.

My family is in San Diego (that's close enough for me) and I go there occasionally. LSS, on the last trip checked out a couple dealers there and ... my leased 2016 Spark EV followed me home a few weeks later, delivered by a car carrier ($1000!).

Not for the faint of heart. Took nearly another month to jump through all the hoops to get it on the road, 1 of them almost a 'can't get there from here' hoop about car insurance. I'd wager that it may be the only spark ev in NY.

But now I'm loving driving it and have a lot to catch up with on this forum!
How many new vehicles do you know of where the owner is willing to fly, drive, pull, tug, etc. thousands of miles across country and back to purchase a "FUN LITTLE" vehicle he can't purchase in his home state, and have it pulled back home? Best of luck to you and I hope you enjoy your Spark EV as much as I have mine.

Back