Wanting to lease but located in Texas....

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewGS

Hi all, I'm Andrew from Houston and I've been keen on the Spark EV since it's debut. Unfortunately they don't want to sell them here so I've never been able to experience one.

My father commutes about 50 miles a day in a reliable ol' 1999 Suburban 4x4 that he will never sell despite the mileage creeping up to 200,000. Getting about 13MPG his fuel costs are high, but not high enough to warrant another vehicle payment and insurance costs. That is until I heard about Spark EVs leasing for like $139 a month. At current fuel costs he'd save nearly $200/mo. driving a Spark EV, so with a lease payment under $150/mo. and insurance under $50/mo. it would make financial sense for him to park the Suburban and use it only when needed.

This leaves me with several questions.

1. Is a 15,000 mile/yr. lease doable for $150/mo. or less all-inclusive?
2. What is the average insurance premium on a Spark EV broken down to a monthly cost?
3. Most important this one, can a dealer in California lease a Spark EV to a resident of Texas?

I'd love for him to be able to curb the use of oil, even if he gets looks driving up to his oil company job. :D

The short answer to everything is no. Spark EV is only available new in CA, OR, and MD. You might be able to find a used one, but at this point Chevrolet has no plans to sell the vehicle anywhere else, and dealers violate their contract with GM if they sell outside the sell-states and face stiff penalties/consequences.

I'd recommend him to get a Volt. There are great deals on the 2015s right now, and it will fit his driving habits more.

1430539027.3928.iPicit.jpg
I live in Houston and have a Spark EV. As I mention before in this site, went to California purchase a brand new Spark EV and dealer ship it to Houston. It was more difficult to register in Texas than purchase the car.

PS note that on website the car is used with 58 miles. That means someone already took the $7500 federal credit. Therefore don't plan to file the $7500 credit and you also can't work the credit into your lease. Ask questions before you buy. spark EV is amazing car hope you get it.

I have seen a few Dealers here in CA with 2014's that nobody wants. Maybe you can check if any of those dealers are willing to ship.

So about that local Spark EV in Sugar Land, TX... I happened to test drive it on Saturday :lol:.

Here's the scoop on it:

Currently has 100 miles, after being test driven.

Has never been titled, so it is in fact eligible for the $7,500 federal tax credit. It was previously used as a show car by GM. CarFax and AutoCheck both show no title history. The used car manager at this dealer snapped it up at auction, so it is being sold as a CPO car.

I called TERP (Texas Emissions Reduction Program) about the $2,500 TX rebate for EVs. This car is not eligible, because Chevrolet doesn't officially sell it in Texas (silly, but that's just how it is).

Planning to finalize paperwork on it Wednesday, unless someone else beats me to it. ;)

So I did buy it and have been loving it so far. And apparently the dealer is also sold on the potential of the car... because they just brought in another one! :) I don't believe it is listed yet, but if anyone is interested, it's at Classic Chevrolet in Sugar Land. It's blue and appears to be a 2LT. Ask for Deanna Martinez, the internet sales manager and let her know Erik sent you.

My father and I went and drove the blue Spark EV earlier today. He really likes it so I've got them looking into whether or not the leasing company can get the tax credit for it since it has never been titled. If so, we'll get a little more serious. If not, I might start contacting dealers on the west coast to see about leasing a new one and having it shipped if it's possible.

Well, no tax credit on the car that's local and no dealer that can sell the Spark EV new is able or willing to try to lease us one.

I've only bought GM vehicles since I got my driver's license and my parents have only bought two imports their whole lives, but it looks like a Leaf could be in our future. $7,500 federal tax credit, $2,500 state incentive and $3,300 in dealer discounts make it very appealing.

I am very disappointed in GM using the Spark EV as a compliance car and making it impossible for someone outside of a few CARB states to enjoy.

AndrewGS said:
Well, no tax credit on the car that's local and no dealer that can sell the Spark EV new is able or willing to try to lease us one.

Why no tax credit? Was it previously titled? I did notice it has over 5,000 miles, which suggests it was previously owned. If so, the dealer is asking way too much and the car will sit for a while.

14Volt said:
AndrewGS said:

Why no tax credit? Was it previously titled? I did notice it has over 5,000 miles, which suggests it was previously owned. If so, the dealer is asking way too much and the car will sit for a while.

No, it was a GM-owned car that has never been titled. I thought that we were going to be good to go but after talking to finance, or supposedly talking to finance, with finance supposedly actually figuring out the real answer, it was determined that it could not qualify for the credit. I still don't know it that's the case or if someone is just presuming that since it's being sold as a CPO.

Did you get the credit on yours? Did you finance, lease or pay cash?

Mine was the same story. GM program vehicle that had never been titled. I didn't ask them if the car would be eligible for the credit, after they offered me free oil changes to sweeten the deal :lol:. Doing my own research and asking other EV enthusiasts, the only thing that should matter is that it was never titled. I asked for a copy of the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin to confirm this. The MSO acts as a "title" when the car is sold to and between dealers. It is used by the DMV when first registering a vehicle, so the dealer being in possession of the MSO indicates that you will be the first actual owner of the car, which is what is required for the tax credit. This will be the first time I apply for it. My first Volt was leased, and my second was bought used. Won't have a verdict until tax time next year, unfortunately.

I self-financed through Alliant Credit Union. They were able to beat every other bank the dealership hit up for a loan.

14Volt said:
Mine was the same story. GM program vehicle that had never been titled. I didn't ask them if the car would be eligible for the credit, after they offered me free oil changes to sweeten the deal :lol:. Doing my own research and asking other EV enthusiasts, the only thing that should matter is that it was never titled. I asked for a copy of the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin to confirm this. The MSO acts as a "title" when the car is sold to and between dealers. It is used by the DMV when first registering a vehicle, so the dealer being in possession of the MSO indicates that you will be the first actual owner of the car, which is what is required for the tax credit. This will be the first time I apply for it. My first Volt was leased, and my second was bought used. Won't have a verdict until tax time next year, unfortunately.

I self-financed through Alliant Credit Union. They were able to beat every other bank the dealership hit up for a loan.

I'm going to call a leasing company tomorrow and talk to them. It makes more sense for us to lease the car and let the leasing company pass the credit on to us because my parents don't pay in that much in taxes and they'd never see the full benefit if they just financed it.

Back