Where do we all live? Sparks are dispersing.

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, if any of y'all see my old one, post it's whereabouts here.

https://www.voltstats.net/sparkev/stats/details/5397

#2014-39780 Electric Blue 1LT with DCFC and like new front tires.

2016 2LT electric blue with DCFC bought mine with 8,300 miles for $11,000. I was deciding on getting one without DCFC option but luckily this one popped up during my search and I had to jump on it. Located out of Los Angeles, oodles of DCFC and L2 charging areas.

Kind of meh~ about the 2016 only having 327lb/tq but I still get a lot of "wtf just happened" look on unsuspecting people :D

Foxwerks said:
Kind of meh~ about the 2016 only having 327lb/tq but I still get a lot of "wtf just happened" look on unsuspecting people :D
2015 and 2016 SparkEV have lower gear (higher ratio) so that rear wheel torque is the same as 2014, despite "only" having 327 ft-lb vs 400 ft-lb in 2014. But 2015+ weighs less than 2014, so the acceleration is quicker with 2015+.

But for bragging rights, SparkEV motor produces more torque than Tesla 3, low end Tesla S, Bolt, Leaf, BMW i3, etc. etc. Only the larger battery Tesla S produce more torque.

wtf happened is right. When in sport mode and you need to pass a car, no gas car can react as quick since there's no gear change or flywheel spool up is needed. This is probably what makes EV in general feel quicker than gasser, though overall passing would be quicker with many gassers due to more power and gears.

SparkevBlogspot said:
But for bragging rights, SparkEV motor produces more torque than Tesla 3, low end Tesla S, Bolt, Leaf, BMW i3, etc. etc. Only the larger battery Tesla S produce more torque.
I didn't know about the change in gear ratio, I did read about the battery being lighter. Its amazing how GM balanced each area out to keep the driving experience identical. The biggest reasons why I went with the Spark, the crazy amount of torque and Thermal Battery Management. From what I read here looks like a lot of people are getting their moneys worth out if it. I nervous about my electric bill, hopefully its not that different from the last 2 months since I've only charged it a handful of times so far.

Charlotte, NC is where mine now lives. I got it used and shipped here for free by Carvana. It's a 2014 that had 28k when I bought it for $9,000.

I'll try to get its location history when I go to the dealer for the software update.

I do know that there are at least 11 Spark EVs in North Carolina, but I may be the only one on this forum.

Foxwerks said:
SparkevBlogspot said:
I didn't know about the change in gear ratio, I did read about the battery being lighter. Its amazing how GM balanced each area out to keep the driving experience identical. The biggest reasons why I went with the Spark, the crazy amount of torque and Thermal Battery Management. From what I read here looks like a lot of people are getting their moneys worth out if it. I nervous about my electric bill, hopefully its not that different from the last 2 months since I've only charged it a handful of times so far.
It’s about the same amount of electricity you consume to cook a pot roast in the oven to charge 20 miles.

Hi, I'm new. I just bought a silver 2014 2LT in Phoenix a couple weeks ago, and had it sent up here to Las Vegas. I think it originated in the San Diego area. I don't know how many Spark EVs are in Vegas, but I have seen at least 1 blue one in the past few weeks.

Loaf said:
Charlotte, NC is where mine now lives. I got it used and shipped here for free by Carvana. It's a 2014 that had 28k when I bought it for $9,000.

I'll try to get its location history when I go to the dealer for the software update.

I do know that there are at least 11 Spark EVs in North Carolina, but I may be the only one on this forum.

I'm a "wanna be" owner in the Carolinas. Test drove one in Morganton, loved it, but couldn't come to an agreement with the dealer (missing L1 charger, sport mode didn't work, etc). It sold within a week from when I test drove, and I can't shake the fever.

I wanted to try the Carvana route, but turns out their employees are clowns. I want one with DCFC, and couldn't get someone to check using 4 different methods (email, live chat, Facebook, and even a good old fashion phone call). The person on the phone said that if an EV for sale, has DCFC, the charge port is photographed. When I pointed out that I've seen about a dozen Spark EVs on their site, and that it would be statistically unlikely none had DCFC, that I had seen a Soul EV that the charge port wasn't photographed although the rest were and they all have DCFC, and had seen a LEAF on the site with no DCFC but was photographed anyhow, he told me he was sorry, and that he couldn't have someone check.... I said sorry I can't buy a car from your company.

TheLondonBroiler said:
I wanted to try the Carvana route, but turns out their employees are clowns. ........ I said sorry I can't buy a car from your company.
What a clown you talked to. :x
And what a strange car selling model.

I saw this just playing around:

THIS ISN'T THE ACTUAL CAR
(It's a stock image)
SEE THE REAL PHOTOS
3 DAYS AFTER YOU RESERVE

Say what? They want you to buy a car sight unseen???

Sometimes I feel sorry for car sales dogs. But this guy.... :roll:

Looks like the Spark EV is a hot seller on this site, but pace yourself....

Searchtempest? Google alerts? cars.com? cargurus.com?
If you're very lucky you could find one that you could drive home if the infrastructure exists. Good Luck

NORTON said:
TheLondonBroiler said:
I wanted to try the Carvana route, but turns out their employees are clowns. ........ I said sorry I can't buy a car from your company.
What a clown you talked to. :x
And what a strange car selling model.

I saw this just playing around:

THIS ISN'T THE ACTUAL CAR
(It's a stock image)
SEE THE REAL PHOTOS
3 DAYS AFTER YOU RESERVE

Say what? They want you to buy a car sight unseen???

Sometimes I feel sorry for car sales dogs. But this guy.... :roll:

Looks like the Spark EV is a hot seller on this site, but pace yourself....

Searchtempest? Google alerts? cars.com? cargurus.com?
If you're very lucky you could find one that you could drive home if the infrastructure exists. Good Luck

I have been fortunate to find and purchase two used Spark EVs [2014 and 2016] over the last 2 years. I used cargurus.com and both dealers were within 70 miles of my home. One was a Chevrolet dealer and one was a Kia dealer. Both cars have been free of any problems.

I bought two 2014s both with DCFC and only ever charged once using the DC fast chargers. There realy aren't many here in Orlando. I'm willing to bet there pretty scarce in the Carolinas. I don't think it's that important since I've been driving these cars 500 miles a week no problem just charging at home. I just bought two level 2 dudosa chargers on ebay 200.00 each and they work fine. The charger that comes with the car is to slow to beuch good. If you google spark ev for sale and go to the true car site then sort by price there's a nice 2014 for sale for 6900.00. I had a truck company ship them to orlando for 950.00 from California and got the car in 4 days. Waiting to get the paperwork from the CA dmv takes up to 90 days in my case.

Good luck

I'm in Mesa AZ with mine. Just wanted a little commuter for my 10 mile commute and around town chores too big for a motorcycle. I have my giant gas guzzler for road tripping, and the spark/cycle for in town.

Grabbed a 15 2LT with DCFC with 25k miles for 8k, so definitely worth the minor investment.

Only strange thing was that it was missing floor mats and the Chevy supplied charger. It came with a Powercord duo, which was strangely missing the 240v adapter, but has charged at 12A like a champ.

I have a ticket in with Aeronvironment for a replacement adapter, but with a free DCFC 3 miles away that's open 24 hours, I haven't had much trouble charging.

I love the car so far and will seriously consider a Bolt when this one dies or the battery doesn't hold enough charge!

Carvana got me a 2015 lt1 with dcfc delivered to indianapolis. Wish we had better weather to enjoy this car with. The front tires are low tread so trying to decide which tires to try. I have a scion iq that i changed rims and tires from 175 60/16 to 175 65/15 and it was like going from a chevy to a buick(no offence). I plan to charge at home 95% of the time but rickers gas stations here have dcqc stations if needed. Hate to pay $5 for 60 miles of fuel.

stpinindy said:
Carvana got me a 2015 lt1 with dcfc delivered to indianapolis. Wish we had better weather to enjoy this car with. The front tires are low tread so trying to decide which tires to try. I have a scion iq that i changed rims and tires from 175 60/16 to 175 65/15 and it was like going from a chevy to a buick(no offence). I plan to charge at home 95% of the time but rickers gas stations here have dcqc stations if needed. Hate to pay $5 for 60 miles of fuel.

Congrats on your Spark EV!

Were you able to find out from Carvana that it had DCFC in advance, did you call GM/Chevy, or was it just a happy accident? Carvana upset me to say the least when I tried calling, emailing, live chat, and Facebook messaging, and no-one would even try to confirm DCFC for me (this was before I knew about calling the Chevy certified preowned phone number to confirm "Option CBT - Charging, Fast Provisions").

What I'm about to say could be untrue for the Spark EV, so take it for what it's worth (there may be info on this forum to confirm or debunk, but I haven't looked). Be careful about changing your tire size, because I've read some EVs (ex: Mitsu I-MIEV) will not regen if they detect wheel rotation that is outside of defined parameters.

This comment from today's Green Car Reports is not on topic but I had to smile:

"Amusingly, 9 stray 2016 Chevrolet Spark EV electric minicars found buyers in November and December combined, raising that car's total 2017 sales to ... 23 units."

Long live the Chevy Spark EV!!

TheLondonBroiler said:
stpinindy said:

Congrats on your Spark EV!

Were you able to find out from Carvana that it had DCFC in advance, did you call GM/Chevy, or was it just a happy accident? Carvana upset me to say the least when I tried calling, emailing, live chat, and Facebook messaging, and no-one would even try to confirm DCFC for me (this was before I knew about calling the Chevy certified preowned phone number to confirm "Option CBT - Charging, Fast Provisions").

What I'm about to say could be untrue for the Spark EV, so take it for what it's worth (there may be info on this forum to confirm or debunk, but I haven't looked). Be careful about changing your tire size, because I've read some EVs (ex: Mitsu I-MIEV) will not regen if they detect wheel rotation that is outside of defined parameters.

The picture on carvana showed the plug in door open with the red cover over the dcfc plugs, so it showed the equipment. I never called to confirm and could have returned if it didn't have the dcfc. I plan to mostly charge at home so it won't make a big difference to me. I was worried (still am) that past fast charging has degraded the battery.
My interactions with carvana have been fantastic. If i were to complain it would be that the temporary plate fell off in the extreme cold the day it was delivered and it took 2 days to get a new one to legally drive the car. The car itself looks immaculate and has operated perfectly, short of low driving range with cold temps. If you need one with dcfc, carvana does seem to show the pictures of the car with the charging door open if it has that option. If the pictures don't let you see inside the charging door, assume it doesn't have that option.

stpinindy said:
The picture on carvana showed the plug in door open with the red cover over the dcfc plugs, so it showed the equipment. I never called to confirm and could have returned if it didn't have the dcfc. I plan to mostly charge at home so it won't make a big difference to me. I was worried (still am) that past fast charging has degraded the battery.
My interactions with carvana have been fantastic. If i were to complain it would be that the temporary plate fell off in the extreme cold the day it was delivered and it took 2 days to get a new one to legally drive the car. The car itself looks immaculate and has operated perfectly, short of low driving range with cold temps. If you need one with dcfc, carvana does seem to show the pictures of the car with the charging door open if it has that option. If the pictures don't let you see inside the charging door, assume it doesn't have that option.

Thank you for your sharing your experience.

You really shouldn't fear fast charging that much. A study conducted under the umbrella of the Department of Energy, found that in analyzing 2012 Nissan LEAFs, over 50k miles, there was an additional 2.6% battery degradation caused by fast charging (2 miles off the range?) I understand this can be viewed by some as significant/concerning, especially with short range evs. What should also be taken into account, the 2012 Leaf battery didn't cope with heat well and it has passive cooling. I hope that helps to put your mind at ease.

I looked extensively at carvana. I have viewed more than a dozen Spark EVs in the past months, non of which had the charging port shown open in the exterior photography. I think it's fair to say, even though possible, it's statistically unlikely that none had DCFC. In addition, I saw a Soul EV that didn't have the charging port open (the rest have been photographed with them open), and they all have DCFC. I'm glad you had a good experience with them.

Hello,
I'm from the Seattle area, and I just recently purchased a white 2016 LT with 11k miles. This car was an off-lease from SoCal.
The day after Christmas I self-gifted myself this little coal powered clown-car... I'm loving it so far.
I went 4 years without a personal car (just the wife's SUV, and my motorcycle) - I like this car as I can fit both the car and the motorcycle in one spot in the garage.
I use it for occasional commuting and running errands. It's also fun for short joyrides. I like the way the back seats fold down, and I keep them folded down.
Now that I've gotten the hang of it, I can keep it above 4.5 miles/KWh.
I only have the 120v EVSE cord, and so far, I don't see a need to buy a LVL 2 cord. I just plug it in and let it charge (@8 amp) and go to sleep, and when I jump in the next day, fully charged.
I like it the way it is, but I wish it had a sunroof and a tray style bike rack.

Back