white spark ev

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techumper

Hi everyone, just picked up mine a couple of weeks ago with 55 miles on the OD. Currently sitting at about 400, so far I'm really enjoying it. This is my commuter car and so far I have no complaints other than the range indication decreasing from 82 to 76 on a full battery, I did some 'spirited' driving in sports mode on Friday (first time using sports mode). I believe I read on the forum here that the system will adjust accordingly, this is referencing drivers who picked up their vehicles from the dealer, with the assumption that test drivers were flooring it to feel that 400lb-ft of torque. Anyway I haven't driven it since Friday so maybe the range will increase once I get back on my working commute. Just thought I'd share a pic. I couldn't find a new member's area so I'm posting here.

spark ev by xfix9, on Flickr

Looks great, thanks for posting. Don't worry about the range indicator [we EV drivers call it the "guess -o-meter"]. Even if it's guessing 76 miles remaining, you can go more if you drive it carefully.

Yes, the meter tries to make a best guess based on your driving style. (I like to set it to show the max and min figures as well.) If you want to calculate things more accurately, on each trip, reset your trip meter which also resets the energy efficiency average. Then switch the center console display to the Energy Details screen and note the Energy Used figure at the bottom. That's the actual amount of energy removed from the battery (and put back via regen) since the last full charge. (Strangely, it doesn't take into account any energy added by a partial charge.) Subtracting that number from the total battery capacity of 21kWh (when new at least) tells you how much energy remains in the pack at that time. Multiply that result by the average shown on the trip meter and you get an accurate estimate of the remaining range, assuming you drive the same way or better than you had since the meter was reset.

jsca72 said:
Congratulations on your new SparkEV! (The meter is just using the information of your driving style from the last time you drove your Spark.)
I'm not 100% sure, but it appears to keep a moving average of recent history, not just the previous drive. So if you are efficient for a few days your predicted range will increase.

Back