Will a Spark work for me? Worst case range?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camaroz1985

Now that the Spark EV is going to be available in Maryland I am seriously considering buying one. My only concern is with range. I know what it is rated for and I know temperature has an effect on the range. We have other cars so for long trips and bad weather (i.e. snow/ice) we are covered. My daily commute is 60 miles round trip, and about 40 miles of that is highway 55-70 mph (those are the speed limits and I generally follow them). The trip is mostly flat (well PA flat, so small rolling hills but no mountains). I don't have any way to charge during the day.

I currently have a Volt, and during the summer can get 45-50 miles out of a charge (rated at 38 miles by EPA). In the winter using the heat sparingly I usually get about 35-40 miles, and my worst was 31 when my wife rode with me and insisted on having the heat on the whole time. My Volt doesn't have heated seats so I would assume that using the heated seats in the Spark vs the cabin heater it wouldn't drop by as much, but maybe that isn't the case.

What is the worst range you northern drivers have seen?

We are thinking of keeping the Volt, and trading in my wife's current DD, a 2011 Subaru Forester. Her commute is shorter, so if the Spark works for me we would be able to drive daily using no gas.

Thanks for any help.

Since the car is only sold in moderate climates of Oregon and California, there's not going to be a lot of really cold weather data. Like any EV, preheat the cabin and battery as much as possible, minimize use of the heater (seat heaters are ok), and drive to conserve energy (if you need to for range).

I think 60 miles round trip will be very comfortable!
Mine is 53 round trip and I always arrive at home with a real 25 - 26 miles left.

The pre-heat function will serve you well...
...get her warm before disconnecting the shore power.

Best cold tester you can ask:

http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3981

I've tried mine out and the worst I've got in freezing temps is about 65 miles with comfortable temp (65ish+seat heater). Pre-heating makes a huge difference, since the battery AND HVAC both work better with pre-heating.

When you're stretching it, obvious stuff will help. Slow down a few mph on the highway, turn the temp down on the HVAC, plug in to a wall plug at work, etc. if you've got a Volt, you know the drill.

Bryce

camaroz, I think you won't have any problems with the 60 mile commute in the Spark. If you are getting that kind of mileage on the Volt, then you will do well with a Spark, too. I have a Volt too, and although I don't watch range much, it seems to me you should get twice the range in the Spark compared to the Volt.

If/when the Spark EV is available for you, take one on a test drive and drive your round trip just like you would on a real commute. That should tell you what you need to know.

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't precondition now (need to get a level 2 charge installed, that is coming this spring), but would with the Spark. I usually just put on a hat and gloves and leave the heat off. Yesterday was 24F on the way to work, and 37F on the way home, and I got 40.7 miles in the Volt. I think I should be ok with the Spark's range. I don't have any way to charge at work, so I can't precondition for the trip home.

Unfortunately I live in PA, and they will only be sold in MD, so I probably can't test drive one for my normal commute.

It seems like most people can equal (or beat) the EPA estimates with the Spark, and given that I usually can beat the EPA estimates on the Volt, even in the winter, I think I should be ok, just curious to see what others have found. Like some of you have said there really aren't many cold weather tests. I did PM gmarcucio as you suggested Nashco. (BTW your thread on GRM is what got me really interested in the Spark).

I just got my 2015 Spark EV 2LT late Monday night, delivered to my house, and just now took it for it's first drive - to the charging station. When I got it, it said I had 87 miles on the battery. I never drove it all week. I got in it tonight and it said I had 78 miles. I went 2 miles and it said I had 71 miles. I put it on the Level 2 charger downtown and the app told me when it was complete. The green light was still on on the dash, and when I unplugged and started her up, it said I had... 78 miles. That took exactly an hour.

Trying to figure out what the heck happened here. I live in very moderate climate - it never got below 53 all week. It was mid-70's today.

Keep in mind that when you get the Spark EV you get a $500 credit towards a Bosch charger, which makes it basically free. I recommend getting a 6.6 kW so you're future proofed.

ezryder, that's called Leadfoot. Give the car and yourself a few weeks to calm down and get to know each other.

I really enjoy my EV; if I've inspired anybody to switch over to a full BEV, that's just a cherry on top.

Bryce

Nashco said:
Keep in mind that when you get the Spark EV you get a $500 credit towards a Bosch charger, which makes it basically free. I recommend getting a 6.6 kW so you're future proofed.

ezryder, that's called Leadfoot. Give the car and yourself a few weeks to calm down and get to know each other.

I really enjoy my EV; if I've inspired anybody to switch over to a full BEV, that's just a cherry on top.

Bryce
I took advantage of that $500 credit and got the Power Xpress. Should be here on Monday. It'll work with 30amps and I believe it is 7.2KW. I'm also getting the "moveable"/portable version. Took me days to figure out the best combo of wires and adapters, but I got it all down.

As for Leadfoot, well... I went 2 miles! And I goosed it twice for a total of less than a block. I drove one of these for 2 hours a few weeks ago and it didn't drop like this did. Also, like I said, it read 87 miles on Monday night and I literally never drove it at all. Three nights later and it's at 78? Seems odd to me, but do they lose that kind of charge that fast just sitting around?

And yeah, I'm totally loving this thing and would NEVER go back to buying or leasing an ICE car. I'm just concerned if I have an issue. I mean, facts are facts. lol I didn't touch the car and it lost 9 miles just sitting in my warm driveway for three days.

EDIT: which reminds me, I've read something about conditioning the battery somewhere... do I need to do that? How?

The range is an estimate and changes based on past driving. Not sure why it dropped while being parked, but since the car has almost no prior driving, its estimates are probably off by a mile (no pun intended ;) )

I've never heard any talk about conditioning the battery. What you might have heard is about starting the car while it is plugged in, and pre-conditioning it for the drive: heat/cool the cabin, and do the same with the battery. You can do that using the remote start feature.

Well you do know there is still a current draw even if you dont drive the car. It is best to leave the charger plugged if you want to start with the max range. If you plan for a long term storage, then drain the battery to 65% or so and disconnect the batteries in the motor compartment.

mvly said:
Well you do know there is still a current draw even if you dont drive the car. It is best to leave the charger plugged if you want to start with the max range. If you plan for a long term storage, then drain the battery to 65% or so and disconnect the batteries in the motor compartment.

Just for clarity, I assume you are not suggesting the owner try to disconnect the traction battery. Disconnecting the ground (-) from the 12V battery is not very dangerous, but owners should never go near the high voltage battery wiring.

My practice when I went away for three weeks was to leave the car plugged in at home, fully charged. I trust the battery conditioning process.

Yeah i should clarify it is the accessorie battery. The same 12V battery in every car. I am not sure if the other battery is ddisconnectable from the front hood access.

Well I'm in on buying the Spark, just have to convince the wife. She doesn't like driving the Volt due to visibility. Might have to see about trading that in on the Spark. With the announcement that GM will build the Bolt, I might look into a lease this time. Have to see what I can get a 15k mile/year lease for once they are finally available in MD. Love the Lime green color, just wish I could get it in a 1LT, not a fan of "leather" seats.

The lease deals are priced pretty aggressively, and unless you've got some very good reasoning, I strongly suggest the lease.

I couldn't stand the baby blue circuit board design on the 1LT seats, plus the 2LT comes with a nicer steering wheel and gray dash/door drim instead of the baby blue. I'm sure you could understand why GM wouldn't sell a lime green exterior with baby blue interior (yuck!). The 2LT is hardly any more money, and IMO WELL WORTH IT to have a more neutral interior color than baby blue. FWIW, the "leatherette" is decent quality considering it's a pretty small upcharge (few bucks per month on the lease). I like mine with a white exterior, but if I were buying a 2015, I'd get a lime green just because it's funky.

I strongly recommend getting the DC fast charge option as well; the Spark EV has the best non-Tesla charging on the market IMO, and your area was recently announced to be having the first big rollout of "SAE Combo" charging units on the east coast (http://www.chargepoint.com/press-releases/2015/0122). Again, it only adds a few bucks per month to the lease price.

My wife is also pretty sensitive about visibility. She's definitely become used to the back up camera for parking in the city after having it in her Nissan Leaf for a couple years. If it matters to you, adding a rear view camera to the Spark EV yourself is now possible (specific details coming soon). It's standard on the Korean spec, but for some reason we don't get it from the factory in the US.

Since inventory is pretty restricted, you'd be well advised to get an order put in with a dealer sooner than later. That way when GM actually starts to ship them, you don't have to wait multiple additional months to get yours. Most dealers will take a modest refundable deposit to put your order in, which gets you an official order number that can be tracked online as well. If you change your mind and the car isn't already on the way to the dealer (such as if there was a huge delay for MD launch), most dealers will refund your money without any hassle (but of course, YMMV).

Bryce

Nashco said:
The lease deals are priced pretty aggressively, and unless you've got some very good reasoning, I strongly suggest the lease.

I couldn't stand the baby blue circuit board design on the 1LT seats, plus the 2LT comes with a nicer steering wheel and gray dash/door drim instead of the baby blue. I'm sure you could understand why GM wouldn't sell a lime green exterior with baby blue interior (yuck!). The 2LT is hardly any more money, and IMO WELL WORTH IT to have a more neutral interior color than baby blue. FWIW, the "leatherette" is decent quality considering it's a pretty small upcharge (few bucks per month on the lease). I like mine with a white exterior, but if I were buying a 2015, I'd get a lime green just because it's funky.

I strongly recommend getting the DC fast charge option as well; the Spark EV has the best non-Tesla charging on the market IMO, and your area was recently announced to be having the first big rollout of "SAE Combo" charging units on the east coast (http://www.chargepoint.com/press-releases/2015/0122). Again, it only adds a few bucks per month to the lease price.

My wife is also pretty sensitive about visibility. She's definitely become used to the back up camera for parking in the city after having it in her Nissan Leaf for a couple years. If it matters to you, adding a rear view camera to the Spark EV yourself is now possible (specific details coming soon). It's standard on the Korean spec, but for some reason we don't get it from the factory in the US.

Since inventory is pretty restricted, you'd be well advised to get an order put in with a dealer sooner than later. That way when GM actually starts to ship them, you don't have to wait multiple additional months to get yours. Most dealers will take a modest refundable deposit to put your order in, which gets you an official order number that can be tracked online as well. If you change your mind and the car isn't already on the way to the dealer (such as if there was a huge delay for MD launch), most dealers will refund your money without any hassle (but of course, YMMV).

Bryce

All very good points and I totally understand the color options not being offered with the baby blue seats (Actually I personally can't imagine ever having baby blue seats in the first place would be something I would pick, not matter what the exterior color is.)

I do hesitate to do the lease because 1) I do drive a lot, but I think I could keep it under 15k/year, and 2) like you, I would like to autocross the car, and while anything I do to it could be reversed, there is still cone damage to consider (I know you aren't SUPPOSED to hit them, but sometimes...). While on that thought I noticed the Spark is now in STS instead of STF. I think it is kind of outclassed there, but would still be a blast to do it anyway. Actually being able to autocross the Spark and get rid of another car is one of the selling points to my wife haha.

I need to call a dealer and see what it would take to get on the order list. Lime 2LT with DCFC is what I would want.

camaroz1985 said:
While on that thought I noticed the Spark is now in STS instead of STF.

WTF!?! I had NOT seen that. I was the one who got the Spark added to STF mid-season last year, and I was planning on heading to Nationals in Lincoln this year, since it would officially be allowed to participate for 2015. Even STF was a real stretch for the pudgy Spark EV on a national level. Heading for STS would make it a bottom feeder, no doubt about it, that class is far more competent cars!

I think the classing is a typo. I think when adding the Spark to the official list (remember, it wasn't listed at all last year except in this newsletter) they accidentally put it in STS instead of STF.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll follow up with the (crazy slow) rule clarification process.

Bryce

Having had my Spark for a couple weeks, I'd say a 60 mile round trip is doable.

In my experience - fully charged with a readout of around 78-80 mile range, 19 kwh battery.

Around town, driving easily. About 4-4.5 miles / kwh = (19*4) ~76-85 miles of range.
On the freeway, speeding up to merge, driving 80 to keep up with traffic. About 3.5 miles /kwh = ~66 miles of range.

Remember these are theoretical maximums. Give some allowance for discrepancies, AC use, etc... 60 miles is absolutely doable but you'll be home much running on E.

If you hypermile and keep it below 55mph on the freeway you're going to see a range closer to the first number (70-80 mile range)

I'd personally be a bit hesitant to keep driving on the freeway with 10-20 miles left. A few bursts of acceleration and you're down to nothing. Much like in a gas car, if the gas light comes on you'd want to pull into a gas station and fill it up...

Looks like the Spark isn't going to work for me. 60 miles would be ok I think, but we just found out we are having twins. So not only would space be an issue, but I will be taking them to and picking them up from daycare everyday so my 60 miles turns into almost 80.

Guess I will be waiting for the Bolt.

camaroz1985, congrats on the twins! Your life is gonna change! :D

Too bad you can't charge at or near work. That would make it work.

As for space: When the whole family goes, you would take the bigger family car. You can fit two baby seats in the back of the Spark, unless you slide your driver seat ALL the way back. If you are just doing the daycare runs, you don't need any more space than the baby seats require.

Back