Aftermarket speakers?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking forward to updates. I've had "iphone dock" on my to do list (since the factory infotainment relies on a USB connection for the iphone app interaction like Pandora and Stitcher).

Keep us posted!

Bryce

This morning I tried replacing my rear speakers with 4 by 6 Infinity speakers, and although they are brilliant, crisp and clear they produced much less bass. So they are out. The stock speakers are back in position, but disconnected. I now have two tissue box sized covered wooden enclosures on the way back floor with inexpensive JVC 6 by 9 coaxials @ 4 ohms. I lost a lot of not much cargo space, but meh, I usually put stuff in passenger floor areas anyway.

After careful tuning of the three band equalizer it sounds so much better now. For example there is now some bass. I'm satisfied now.

It's important for the safety of pedestrians for them to be able to hear me coming :)

scknogas said:
I've decided to replace all 4 speakers in the car, install a real Amp, and a subwoofer. Will update with images when it's finished in 2 weeks. (My schedule not the shops...)

The shop - So Cal Custom in Encinitas
https://plus.google.com/102205383271319552263/about?gl=us&hl=en
http://www.yelp.com/biz/socal-custom-encinitas-3

Phase #1 is complete. The stock speakers are replaced with Alpine 5 1/4" speakers. BUT....

1) The amp sticks out into the rear seat foot well a but more than I'd like (the spark has a large cross beam that limits how far forward things will fit)
Seat All the way back.
12981486695_26b23824ea_n.jpg
All forward.
12981907944_6ca6a56f19_n.jpg

2) The front speaker grills had to be modified a bit to allow the 5 1/4" speaker to fit, so they've been recovered with grill cloth
BEFORE
12981483615_f2675d64d2_n.jpg
DURING
12981626853_1fb6578e71_n.jpg
AFTER
12981909614_16f0f67f56_n.jpg

3) Due to the cross beam, switching from one 8" Alpine sub woofer, to dual 5" Focal subs.
4) The turn signal click is now MUCH LOUDER too.. will fiddle with it this weekend when the sub goes in.

Scott

Whelp, after realizing I had neither the time nor the expertise to do the job correctly, I bought some industrial-grade hook-and-loop fastener and took my little powered sub and Spark EV to Lombard's Stereo in Santa Maria and this is the result:
YIBZnyu.jpg
2GhsxED.jpg

I figured since nobody can sit in the middle position anyway, that's a good place for the sub. No reduction in leg or foot room, practically invisible wires, and no holes drilled toward the traction battery! Those of you looking to mount an amp may want to consider this position as well.

I'm pretty happy with the result since I can now hear the bottom half of my tunes. :) One thing to be aware of is that the head unit doesn't have a discrete "power on" signal: it uses the GMLAN bus for that. So if your amp does, you'll either need to tie it to the ignition signal, or use a low-voltage trigger which lets it stay on any time the speakers are energized. I opted for the latter so I can still have bass without having the car on.

scknogas said:
I've decided to replace all 4 speakers in the car, install a real Amp, and a subwoofer. It's a pricey upgrade considering the

1 - Alpine PDX-V9 - 5 channel Digital Amp
4 - Alpine SPR-50 - 5 1/4 Coaxial 2-way speakers
1 - Alpine SWR-8D4 - 8" Subwoofer

Plus labor, custom fabrication of iPhone/iPod cup holder dock and underseat subwoofer.

Will update with images when it's finished in 2 weeks. (My schedule not the shops...)

The shop - So Cal Custom in Encinitas
https://plus.google.com/102205383271319552263/about?gl=us&hl=en
http://www.yelp.com/biz/socal-custom-encinitas-3

I'm having trouble finding a shop that will work on an EV for some reason, could your shop recommend a place in LA or Long Beach for me?

Hey - quick question on this topic.

Swapped out my fronts for these http://store.12velectronics.com/mirus-m41-2-4-coaxial-speaker-set/
and they sounded great - much clearer with a bit more on the bottom end.
Then I swapped out the rears for some Kicker 4x6" and the balance shifted too far to the back of the car - do we have ANY adjustments so I can fix this? Didn't see anything in the manual or by just by going through the menu on the sound system.

Okay. Realized I forgot to add pics of my underseat Sub-woofer install...
13858077164_d5c7eee7c1.jpg

And I re-did the grill cloth on the fronts to match better..
13857736803_283c8ee055.jpg

Stealth stereo mode activated!

Plus, they turned down the amp a bit, so the turn signals aren't too loud.

Scott

rockytt said:
Then I swapped out the rears for some Kicker 4x6" and the balance shifted too far to the back of the car - do we have ANY adjustments so I can fix this? Didn't see anything in the manual or by just by going through the menu on the sound system.
Did you not look under "Tone control" when you press Menu in the Multimedia area?

Since the sub is fed off the rear channel, I moved the sound level forward one notch, and it's well balanced. I have a good sound stage up front with decent bass (not over powering) and good fill from the rears.

Would do this again. :)

Did you need to cut/modify the dash to fit your 5.25 fronts? If so do you have any pics of your process?

just bumping this to any other owners who changed their speakers. im looking into adding my old kenwood sub and/or replacing the rear speakers. ill post my updates when done.

Just a few comments:

Impediance is not the same as resistance, although they are related.
- you can't measure impediance with an ohm meter, because it's measuring resistance.
- you can replace a speaker with a HIGHER impediance speaker without worry about burning out the amp; it just won't sound as loud. As long as you've replaced all speakers with same impediance rating, it will remain effectively balanced. You'll just have to turn the volume louder.
- you MIGHT be able to replace a speaker LOWER impediance speaker if the amp/HU that's driving it can handle the new lower load; otherwise you run the risk of burning out the amp/HU. The specs of the amp/HU should identify what minimum impediance load it can handle.
- typically car HU are ("minimum") 4ohm, sometimes 2ohm (like the Leaf, apparently).

Has anyone actually verified the stock HU minimum impediance?

After seeing the rear speaker mounting locations, don't expect much if any deep bass from any quality of drivers installed there. There is no barrier between the front and back of the speaker cone. The lower frequency sound cancels itself out because the air just rushes around from the front to the back of the speaker cone. It's much less detrimental for lower midrange thru high frequencies because the speaker drivers are moving faster than the air can rush around to cancel.
A subwoofer crossed over around 250 Hz will be required if deep, strong, clean bass is what you want. This will also give the stock (or aftermarket) drivers a break by not having to reproduce the wattage heavy bass frequencies.
I'd recommend you start with a decent powered subwoofer with speaker level inputs and variable crossover so you can set the crossover point just above where the 4x6's output starts to drop off. A little experimenting will be needed to get the "flavor" you like. Then, if you still want better sound - replace the stock speakers. If high volume is your thing, find drivers that have high efficiency ratings. A 3db increase requires 1/2 the wattage for the same sound pressure level.

David

dangerHV said:
After seeing the rear speaker mounting locations, don't expect much if any deep bass from any quality of drivers installed there. There is no barrier between the front and back of the speaker cone. The lower frequency sound cancels itself out because the air just rushes around from the front to the back of the speaker cone. It's much less detrimental for lower midrange thru high frequencies because the speaker drivers are moving faster than the air can rush around to cancel.
A subwoofer crossed over around 250 Hz will be required if deep, strong, clean bass is what you want. This will also give the stock (or aftermarket) drivers a break by not having to reproduce the wattage heavy bass frequencies.
I'd recommend you start with a decent powered subwoofer with speaker level inputs and variable crossover so you can set the crossover point just above where the 4x6's output starts to drop off. A little experimenting will be needed to get the "flavor" you like. Then, if you still want better sound - replace the stock speakers. If high volume is your thing, find drivers that have high efficiency ratings. A 3db increase requires 1/2 the wattage for the same sound pressure level.
I installed this powered subwoofer in the trunk and have been pretty happy with it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0082YUR7M

I'm interested in replacing the stock speakers. Since you seem to know a fair bit about this, can you recommend some specific aftermarket speakers for this car for better sound?

I bought a set of 4 x 6", 4 ohm speakers for the rear from Parts Express but it looks like the set has been discontinued: https://www.parts-express.com/cat/dash-door-deck-car-speakers/390?N=19828+4294967118+4294964040&Ne=10166&Nrs=collection%28%29%2Frecord%5Bendeca%3Amatches%28.%2C%22P_PortalID%22%2C%221%22%29+and+endeca%3Amatches%28.%2C%22P_Searchable%22%2C%221%22%29%5D&PortalID=1

As stated above having a speaker just hanging out in free air and not in an enclosure is bad. I usually have my back seats down with carpet covering the whole area, so even worse than if the seats and the hatch cover were in place.
I plan on making a small enclosure out of aluminum sheet metal.
EDIT: PE said it:
"Since manufactures don't supply T/S parameters for their coaxial car speakers I cannot model a specific enclosure, but I can say these will work fine in just about any volume as long as it is sealed. Since you have a sub you don't need much below about 80 Hz and these should have no problem reaching that in a small sealed enclosure, probably around 0.1-0.2 cubic feet each.

Sincerely,
Matt
Technical Support Team"

I saw on another thread that the front speakers at least have built in enclosures.

I also have a 300 watt mono sub amp and driver from fosgate that I will be installing.
PE has a shallow sub that sounds good for building into a fiberglass enclosure, but since I already of a sub system I'll go with it. I'll strap down the enclosure and make a connector for removing it when I have to haul big stuff in the back.

Norton I really don't think making sheet aluminum boxes is worth the effort. Cabinet material should be as vibration resistant as possible. Even for these tiny speakers, 1/2" MDF board would be the minimum. Since you already have a powerful sub, I'd say leave the rear speakers open and install high pass filters on them to fade out the lows which cause severe distortion at higher power levels. You'll have to check with a high end car stereo shop or search online to find these. They can be as simple as a coil of magnet wire, wound to the desired inductance, or a more complex electronic unit requiring 12vdc to power the circuitry.(How much money would YOU like to spend today, Mr. Customer.) Without remembering what the stock speakers looked like, it may or may not be worth replacing them if you're on a tight budget. If you have $$$, see below.
---Sound quality is a lot like pizza. Everyone has their own taste.---I like mine bright and crisp. Deep and powerful causes more hearing damage, much as I enjoyed it.
The mono sub will need some listening time to set up. The general guideline for a subwoofer crossover point is at or just above the lower bass limit of the primary speaker system. This is often between 80-150 hertz. The Spark set-up is a different animal, though. The rear drivers themselves could have a low frequency rating of 100 hz but because of the open design, (i've never even imagined a setup like this, it's so...........unkosher!) you may not actually hear the sound until (I'm guessing) 200-250 Hz.
I may do some real world testing to get more accurate figures for this discussion when I get my car. (month or 2?) I have an audio signal generator that will offset my damaged hearing. LET THIS BE A LESSON TO YOU KIDS.....As far as a reccomendation, I went to http://www.crutchfield.com and picked out my "dream speakers"
**** EDIT **** Cancel recommendations here. See later post.....

For the rears, I'd go with either the ******** or the *******. What I look for is high efficiency (also called sensitivity or SPL for "Sound pressure level"): 92db or higher is excellent for high volume per watt from amp. Next is a rubber woofer surround. This lasts much longer than foam or *plain* paper. Then a two way crossover. A single capacitor only filters out low frequencies from the tweeter. This is whats most commonly found on 2,3, or4 way car speakers. The cap and coil is a "true"crossover because it also filters high frequencies from going to the woofer. Not major, but a nice bonus on a few of the higher end speakers. (Standard practice in home speaker systems) ** If I'm buying online, I will look for high customer review ratings in large numbers.** Last thing for me is how they look. A speaker can be a thing of beauty. Just look at the Polk db461p. (Go ahead and zoom in, I won't tell your wife) Also you'll want **-4 ohm rated drivers from what I've heard. **** SPARK = 4 OHM RATED, not 2.****
As for the 4" fronts, first find out what space you have to work with. If it's open under there, I'll be going with the *********** (They're just too pretty!) and I'll be using a high pass filter around 100 Hz to reduce distortion.
Enough for now. I'd better hang up. The wife just caught me looking at speakers, again. Hope this is worth the reading time. (I don't really have a wife. *I did have some pet trout, but that wasn't very emotionally rewarding so I ate them*).

David - Very sorry for the..."out of spec" recommendations. See below if you wish.

I upgraded my speakers with Kicker speakers per the gas Spark forum. Easy peasy. I no longer feel like having my eardrums removed. I agree that the bottom four octaves or so are missing, I'll be looking into a compact subwoofer in the near future.

dangerHV said:
Norton I really don't think making sheet aluminum boxes is worth the effort. ...

Danger, I agree with everything you said, expect the above. I work with aircraft. I can build a solid enclosure. These dinky 4x6 don't handle the power to require 1/2" MDF.
I also have built speakers and subs from scratch. I used 3/4" MDF and doubled that for the front panel of the sub.

Wow, I just looked at the speakers you recommended !! I had no idea 4x6 speakers had options like this! I feel silly buying $25 upgrades. The infinity's are 2 ohm so they're out.
These would definitely benefit from enclosures.
What do you recommend for the fronts?

Have you seen the dinky enclosures the fronts come in? You just need something to make the front of the speaker the only source of sound. I'll use dampening material inside and out on my homegrown 4x6 enclosures. My sub amp's LPF tops out at 250 hz, but I think the driver is not rated that high. I'll check on that while doing another 'break in' run for the sub driver.
(I corrected my volume statement about the enclosures with a quote from PE)

Look at the 'shallow mount' sub drivers PE offers. I'd really like to fab a fiberglass enclosure built into one of the rear side panels,, someday...

Yup, you know what you're doing Norton. 3/4 MDF, double on front...The aluminum isn't flashing material, is it? (that was a joke)
For fronts I mentioned Infinity near the end of my ramblings. I thought one of the posts I read said they used 2 ohm drivers? I'll look and edit this post if I find it.
***2ND edit*** The Spark uses 8 ohm speakers???. (the Leaf uses 2) See my next post also***
I have not seen the "dinky" enclosures for the front speakers. I'm surprised they have any enclosure. That may limit front driver options. Measure before buying. If the ICE Spark has the same enclosures, then you can use Crutchfield's fitment guide. (they list the EV but note +/- "we haven't measured for this car yet".)
Norton:
"My sub amp's LPF tops out at 250 hz, but I think the driver is not rated that high. I'll check on that while doing another 'break in' run for the sub driver."

Do you mean the sub driver is not rated that high? It should be unless you have a (guessing here) 15" or larger sub. Slight chance the directionality may enter into the picture though. But really, who would ever notice?? We're in a tiny car here! It's all in our mind.
With the shallow mount sub in the side panel, you're getting further beyond the level I'd go to get decent sound. (20+ years ago - different story! Did I tell you about my 77' Chevy Van...)

Nikwax, I just read your post again. Do you know if the gas and EV have the same speaker arrangement?

David

---X-X-X- CORRECTION- SPARK USES 8 OHM DRIVERS?????. (the Leaf uses 2 ohm)
>> Recommendation change :Fronts- Infinity X Ref-4002cfp, 3 ohms. Rears- infinity X Ref 6402cfp, also 3 ohm. According to Crutchfield write-up, these 3 ohm speakers should work fine for stereo's rated for 4 ohms. I agree with that from my past experience. (I might try 2 ohms in 4 ohm application, but I'd be taking a fair risk of overloading the factory system. I cannot recommend this to others)
This is just my personal opinion considering MY price/performance level. I still don't know if these 4" speakers will fit the Spark EV. You can spend a lot less and still get decent sound. Small note: Matching the same brand and series throughout the car will give a ..."nicer" sound because each speaker will have the same tonal qualities. Crutchfield doesn't show any 4" Polk speakers to match with their very nice looking (visual and specifications) 4x6's. I would have recommended those too if they did.

David
I just read this post in it's entirety. I'm going to crawl into a hole and hibernate until I can come up with accurate information!!!

Back