Aftermarket speakers?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did my speakers+sub upgrade today. I decided to skip on adding a dedicated amp but does anyone know how to direct the bass only to the subwoofer, and not the speakers?

Also, if I do add a dedicated amp like http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-KTP-445U-4-channel-Power-Amplifier/dp/B003VVYL46?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
how much driving battery power would I lose or is it neglectable?

Jason90405 said:
Did my speakers+sub upgrade today. I decided to skip on adding a dedicated amp but does anyone know how to direct the bass only to the subwoofer, and not the speakers?

traditionally, a high pass filter on the speakers

My sub has a crossover, so the speakers are only getting whatever is above the crossover level.

=======>>> subwoofer
^
^
sub's crossover ======>>> speakers
^
^
Head unit

Thanks to the suggestions of this forum and this topic I picked up the Kenwood KSC-SW11 powered subwoofer. Thinking I'd have a professional install it, I was quoted $190 for parts and labor. :eek: :shock: Now I'm thinking I want to do this on my own if I can. For those of you that have installed this on your own can you give me some advice on how to do this? Thanks! Oh yeah...total noob though I was able to upgrade all of the factory speakers to the Kickers also suggested on this thread.

207358262854d3efe0e10887.97616445.jpg

I just got the Kicker 40CS44 and 46's for front and back. What a difference. The Kenwood sub is on the way!

I shoulda done this a year ago.

I didn't see any reference to it in earlier posts but I am guessing the head unit does not have RCA outs. Is that right.

SilentGreen said:
I just got the Kicker 40CS44 and 46's for front and back. What a difference. The Kenwood sub is on the way!

I shoulda done this a year ago.

I didn't see any reference to it in earlier posts but I am guessing the head unit does not have RCA outs. Is that right.

I saw the back of mine, I think it's just a bundle of wires and a connector.

12345 said:
Thanks to the suggestions of this forum and this topic I picked up the Kenwood KSC-SW11 powered subwoofer. Thinking I'd have a professional install it, I was quoted $190 for parts and labor. :eek: :shock: Now I'm thinking I want to do this on my own if I can. For those of you that have installed this on your own can you give me some advice on how to do this? Thanks! Oh yeah...total noob though I was able to upgrade all of the factory speakers to the Kickers also suggested on this thread.

207358262854d3efe0e10887.97616445.jpg

$190 is a little much for just the sub. I got both front/back speakers and the sub installs done for $200.

They want another $120 to install dedicated amp though.

The Kenwood sub is now in... It won't win any car shows awards but this is massively better than before.

I didn't even bother with the remote. I'm more than happy. My 3 hour round trip commutes just got a lot better.

For those with the Kicker 41KSC464, how is the bass? Anything better than the kicker out there?

I want to replace just the rears, and hopefully get some more bass, I don't want a sub as I need all the trunk space I can get!

SilentGreen said:
The Kenwood sub is now in... It won't win any car shows awards but this is massively better than before.

I didn't even bother with the remote. I'm more than happy. My 3 hour round trip commutes just got a lot better.

Do you have to run power from the battery in the front for the sub?

Cheburashka said:
For those with the Kicker 41KSC464, how is the bass? Anything better than the kicker out there?

I want to replace just the rears, and hopefully get some more bass, I don't want a sub as I need all the trunk space I can get!

The Kickers aren't bass speakers, they are midrange with tweeters.

nikwax said:
Cheburashka said:

Is there any way to get more bass by replacing stock speakers?

Do you run the power for powered sub from the battery?

Cheburashka said:
nikwax said:
Cheburashka said:

Good bass just does not come from a 4x6 speaker. Particularly in what is basically a free-air installation. Mind you, the Kickers are good speakers and are clearer than the stock ones but the base is only marginally better.

Cheburashka said:

maybe place a sub under one of the front seats?

Cheburashka said:

no

Cheburashka said:

yes

For the powered sub, where do you run the power through the firewall? Is there an easy path? Also, what about the switched power lead?

Installed a pair of CS series Kickers in the back and the sound was awful!! Worse than stock!

Switched out to a pair of Polk DB462 and sound is now better. At least there is now some bass!

Back