Bosch home charging station

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nj1266 said:
Why was it so expensive if I may ask? My electric panel is NOT in the garage and mine was very expensive to install since they had to lay a 55 foot cable from the garden to the garage. Was that your problem as well?

We had a 100' run from our service panel to the carport, it was big bucks. He also added an emergency cutoff in the form of pull out connector block on the column where the EVSE is because of the distance to the main panel. We did have the Bosch selected electrician do the work. Two other local electricians never returned my call. Ironically there are solar panels on the roof of the carport where CHVY EV is parked.

Just as he was finishing the electrician said something I would never have expected from someone in his line of work. He knew about the other models of Bosch EVSEs and expressed concern that the higher rated POWER MAX 240LC 30 amp model would harm our EV when the lower power model he had installed elsewhere was sufficient for the 3.3kW charger in the car.

I assured him that I had very high confidence that the impedance and reactance of the load would be sufficient to determine the amount of current flowing.

A bit scary that he was so ignorant of the basics of electronics.

^^^
That is somewhat concerning/odd.

I guess he doesn't know how J1772 works (https://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/J1772Basics and http://www.sae.org/smartgrid/chargingprimer.pdf). It's up to the vehicle's on-board charger to determine how much to draw and as part of the protocol, it is not supposed to draw more than what the pilot from the EVSE dictates.

For those facing high installation cost (we were quoted $5,000 just to upgrade our service panel), there are other alternatives to consider. I got my EVSE (240 Volt charger)last week. Made myself an adapter using a dryer plug cord purchased at Home Depot. Plugged it into my dryer outlet which happens to be in the basement, on the same side as the driveway. Popped the cable through the basement window and plugged it into the car. Charged with no problem.

Hi,

I just received my Bosch unit with the $500 discount Spark EV program. When I called, the woman clearly stated that the shipping cost was $25 + $3 handling fee, however, the invoice states $40.41 for shipping. Is this common?

I'm not sure if it's worth arguing over ~$10 when I already saved $500... I guess I'm just bothered by the inconsistent practice.

Thanks!

Back