CHAdeMO Terra 53 Fast Charger in Northern Ca

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cwerdna said:
TonyWilliams said:
xylhim said:
So according to the link, CCS is ahead of CHADeMO since it took over a year and a half for that standard to get over 7 chargers outside Japan (and how many CHADeMO chargers were in the US specifically in the first year and a half). CCS already has 7 and its only been out six months. This doesn't mean that CCS is going to take off, but if you want to play the numbers game, its ahead in growth rate in the US.

I have to hand it to you, that's a good spin !!!
Spin indeed. The first Leaf didn't go on sale in the world until December 11, 2010. So, by the 1.5 year mark of the Leaf's debut, per that chart, there were 1236 CHAdeMO DC FCs in Japan and 258 overseas.

There was usage in October 2011: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6572 and at least 9 in the US at the 1 year mark: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7167.

Oh yes, and for 2011 and the partial month of 2010, there were 9,674 Leafs sold in the US (http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/). The Spark EV has yet to break 1000 units.
Seems like you're just confirming what he said. 9 U.S. CHAdeMO after one year, versus 7 U.S. Combo in 5 months, and for only a single car model (soon to be two and then three) that's sold fewer cars, so higher Combo ratio per car. Whether or not the Spark is ever sold in Az. and Tn., the i3 apparently will be, and the eGolf is supposed to be after opening in the CARB states.

Again, I really don't see the relevance of touting how many CHAdeMO-Tesla-GB/T-Combo2-what have you are located on some other continent, unless there are large numbers of owners who foresee a need to ship their Combo1-equipped cars overseas. Car manufacturers will either install whatever is used locally or their own proprietary system, whether that's CHAdeMO, Combo-1 or 2, GB/T, Tesla or SuperQuickReallyFastNoWaitingXsquaredMagnaChargers. The number of people for whom inter-continental compatibility is an issue is probably close to zero, at least for these cars. I can maybe see it for a Tesla owner, but for anyone else?

gra said:
The number of people for whom inter-continental compatibility is an issue is probably close to zero, at least for these cars. I can maybe see it for a Tesla owner, but for anyone else?

I happen to be one of those. So, today, I'm in Dubai, UAE. There is no EV sold here from any manufacturer, however Nissan and Tesla will likely be first.

If I buy a Tesla, what charge port do I get it with?

TonyWilliams said:
gra said:
The number of people for whom inter-continental compatibility is an issue is probably close to zero, at least for these cars. I can maybe see it for a Tesla owner, but for anyone else?

I happen to be one of those. So, today, I'm in Dubai, UAE. There is no EV sold here from any manufacturer, however Nissan and Tesla will likely be first.

Oh, Tony! I feel just awful about your dilemma! :roll: ;) Whichever you choose, or buy the expensive adapter that Tesla will undoubtedly offer. But for those of us who are considering cars costing under $30k instead of $70k+, how many of you foresee any likelihood of ever shipping your CHAdeMO or Combo-equipped car to another continent, where compatibility will be an issue?

gra said:
Oh, Tony! I feel just awful about your dilemma! :roll: ;) Whichever you choose, or buy the expensive adapter that Tesla will undoubtedly offer. But for those of us who are considering cars costing under $30k instead of $70k+, how many of you foresee any likelihood of ever shipping your CHAdeMO or Combo-equipped car to another continent, where compatibility will be an issue?

Yes, tough dilemma, but ones I like to have.

These are not issues for CHAdeMO cars.... they have EXACTLY the same charge port anywhere in the world.

TonyWilliams said:
gra said:

Ok,, I am confused.... You are having a get together on May 3rd in San Diego, how are you in Dubai now ?

Did I miss something, what company ships your car for a short stint in another country ?

tigger19687 said:
TonyWilliams said:
gra said:

Ok,, I am confused.... You are having a get together on May 3rd in San Diego, how are you in Dubai now ?

Did I miss something, what company ships your car for a short stint in another country ?

Well, hopefully I can un-confuse you :mrgreen:

I'm in Dubai because I work here. I'll be in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in a couple days. I'm not personally having a get-together (although I go to virtually every one), but San Diego EV drivers will on May 3 (I won't be present). These are ongoing events, now in its 4tth year.

I never said my company would ship any car, nor did I say this was a short stint! But, it is a real possibility that I will ship an EV here, and I prefer a larger car to a smaller one. So, the Rav4 EV or a Tesla would do fine.

But, there are exactly zero Superchargers, so when/if they are installed, will they be the Euro version (likely) or the US version?

Ahhh, ok.
I thought it was you that was making the get togethers :)

So in Dubai, what is their take on Electric cars ? With Oil being a big thing there ;)

tigger19687 said:
Ahhh, ok.
I thought it was you that was making the get togethers :)

So in Dubai, what is their take on Electric cars ? With Oil being a big thing there ;)

I have organized many, many meetings over the past few years, just not the current ones while I'm overseas.

I did see exactly one white Tesla Model S and one Chevy Volt. Oil is cheap, with gasoline at about $1.85. The only electric cars that have a chance are the "cool" ones, like Model S or X.

I personally don't see a market for a LEAF, Spark EV, etc.

Back