Chevy Spark EV Range Test, 97.8 miles @ 62mph, Aug 5, 2013

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My trigger finger is dying to get some exercise, aimed at the Spark EV. I'm wondering if anyone else drives like I do - mostly in the 65-75 mph range on the freeway - and what their range is like. I know it will be less, and why, but wondering about real world experience. Northern CA, SF Bay Area driving. Traffic a consideration. 90% highway, 10% city.

ezryder said:
My trigger finger is dying to get some exercise, aimed at the Spark EV. I'm wondering if anyone else drives like I do - mostly in the 65-75 mph range on the freeway - and what their range is like. I know it will be less, and why, but wondering about real world experience. Northern CA, SF Bay Area driving. Traffic a consideration. 90% highway, 10% city.

It will be less at the ratio of the battery change. If you can factor the percent smaller of the new battery, you can factor the reduction in range.

TonyWilliams said:
88 miles... don't tell anybody ;-)

I'm willing to bet the lower temps may have had a little to do with the lower range. But the smaller battery is the reason for that loss no doubt.

We'll have to wait for Tony's report, but I think the temps were in the low 60s.

Can someone point me to Tony's report on the 2015 Spark range test? Usually, google is my friend, but for the life of me, I cannot seem to find it. I have a Spark with the older battery pack, and sometimes am just barely able to get home on cold windy days, so I want to know what to expect if I get another Spark when my lease ends in a few months.

Well, They both EPA test the same, does that count?
Maybe Tony knows more.

How cold does it get where you are? I bet I can beat that! :lol:
There is always turning the heat down or off, recirc all the way, cycle the defrost just to clear the glass as needed, seat heat as needed.

I run a nuvi and watch the 'miles to destination' vs the GOM. It's fun and I can fine tune my Climate 'needs' !
I only think about 'Range' on cold 'Airport' runs. 82 miles RT. Farther if I then go on to work. In the cold I'll stop at a DCFC for a quick 'buffer' top up, 15 minutes at the most.

Of course Slowing Down is the most effective way of saving your bacon.

Why not wait for the Bolt?

NORTON said:
They both EPA test the same, does that count?
EPA is mystery meat, though it's a conservative over-all estimate. But at freeway speeds or 25 MPH, that range is meaningless. I find that I'm getting 5.1 mi/kWh battery to wheels over 7500 miles of driving, which gives me >90 miles range at 55 MPH with 2015 SparkEV.

NORTON said:
So very true. I took some data, used ecomodder to come up with models to see what ranges I'd get at various speeds. Big unknown is usable battery capacity. Going by GOM and uncalibrated power/energy readings at charger and car can only let me guesstimate. Below is link to my "model making"

http://sparkev.blogspot.com/2016/01/sparkev-range.html

SparkevBlogspot said:
NORTON said:
They both EPA test the same, does that count?
EPA is mystery meat, though it's a conservative over-all estimate. But at freeway speeds or 25 MPH, that range is meaningless. I find that I'm getting 5.1 mi/kWh battery to wheels over 7500 miles of driving, which gives me >90 miles range at 55 MPH with 2015 SparkEV.

NORTON said:
So very true. I took some data, used ecomodder to come up with models to see what ranges I'd get at various speeds. Big unknown is usable battery capacity. Going by GOM and uncalibrated power/energy readings at charger and car can only let me guesstimate. Below is link to my "model making"

http://sparkev.blogspot.com/2016/01/sparkev-range.html

Great blog...thanks for the detailed analysis!

Yes, we tested the 2015 Spark w/18kWh battery and got 89 miles.

Not surprisingly, the range is less than the 2014 with 19kWh battery.

TonyWilliams said:
Yes, we tested the 2015 Spark w/18kWh battery and got 89 miles.
89, not 88? Were lights / radio on when testing? Something I noticed about San Diego is that wind changes direction in the afternoon along the coast (north to south I think). Then depending on how you took the loop, it might've given bit more or less range.

Here's a curve I made for various power uses with 2015 by extrapolating some known data. My basis data used your experimental data (and some others) and has bit over 85 miles. Should it be closer to 90 miles? Or I can say that the range is based on lights/radio on while your experiment was with lights/radio off?

2015_range_over_power.gif

If you're bored, new post has lots of pretty pictures. :)

http://sparkev.blogspot.com/2016/03/range-polynomial.html

It went 5.0 miles per kWh (same as 2014) at 62mph /100kmh ground speed.

5 * 19kWh (2014) = 95 miles (plus/minus some small error)

5 * 18kWh (2015) = 90 miles (plus/minus some small error)

The radio has virtually no measurable impact.

Thanks, Tony. That is helpful. If the difference in range is only about 5 miles, I can make that work. I live in SoCal, so it doesn't get cold often. I usually get home with about 15-20 miles of range to spare. It's when it cold, windy, and rainy that I barely make it home. I'll just have to draft more on those days.

I would consider waiting for the Bolt, but my lease is up in July, and even if I were to be able to wait until Dec, I doubt the initial lease deals are going to be anywhere close to the ones for the Spark.

Back